Home

Install problems? Official fix here

rdaubner

this was emailed to me today by lucasarts after i got off the phone with them. seems to solve install issues

Hello,

If you are receiving errors attempting to install the game once you have disc 2 or disc 3 for the game in the CD drive during the installation process, and you have more than 5GB free on your harddrive, the following work-around solution may get the game installed successfully for you. If you have a printer, you may want to print these instructions for easier reference.

To check your harddrive space, open My Computer, right-click your local drive (C:) and choose properties and look at the free space. You can also use a local disc (harddrive) other than C: if you have more than one, just substitute the correct drive letter for C: in the following instructions.

1. Make sure your system is set to view system and hidden files.

- Open the My Computer window, go to VIEW on the menu bar in Windows 9x (go to the TOOLS option in Windows XP/2000), and select Folder Options.

- Select the View tab, and click on the option to "Show All Files" in Windows 9x or select the option to "Show hidden files and folders" in Windows XP/2000.

- Below this option (for Windows XP/2000) remove the check marks next to the "Hide extensions for known file types" option and the "Hide protected operating system files" option so these options are turned off. Click Yes on the Warning dialogue box that appears.

- Click Apply & OK at the bottom of the Folder Options window.

2. Install DirectX 9.0c from game disc 1 before continuing. Insert disc 1 and exit the launcher if it appears. Open My Computer, right-click the CD icon (BF_1) and choose open. Open the DirectX folder and double-click the dxsetup.exe file (with the blue computer icon) and follow the prompts to install DirectX 9.0c. The computer will need to restart after this. Since DirectX will already be installed when you next attempt to install the game, we recommend you use the Custom install option rather than the Automatic install.

3. Place disc 2 for the game in the CD drive. Click OK and ignore the prompt to insert disc 1. Open My Computer and right-click the CD icon (BF_2) and choose open. Click Edit on the menu bar and choose select all. Then click Edit and choose copy once all the files in the window are selected.

4. Open My Computer and open the C: drive, or the local disc (harddrive) which has lots of free space available. Click File on the menu bar and choose New Folder. Name your new folder disc2 and hit enter. Open this disc 2 folder and click edit on the menu bar and choose paste to place all the copied files from CD#2 into this folder. If you get a read error while copying files then you may have a bad CD.

5. After all the files for disc 2 are copied to the disc2 folder, place game disc 3 (CD#3) in the CD drive. Click OK and ignore the prompt to insert disc 1. Open My Computer and right-click the CD icon (BF_3) and choose open. Click Edit on the menu bar and choose select all. Then click Edit and choose Copy once all the files in the window are selected.

6. Open My Computer and open the C: drive, or the local disc (harddrive) which has lots of free space available. Click File on the menu bar and choose New Folder. Name your new folder disc3 and hit enter. Open this disc3 folder and click edit on the menu bar and choose paste to place all the copied files from CD#3 into this folder. If you get a read error while copying files then you may have a bad CD.

7. After all the files for disc 3 are copied to the disc3 folder, place game disc 1 (CD#1) in the CD drive and attempt to install the game once more.

- When you are prompted to place disc 2 in the drive, do not insert CD#2 in the CD drive, simply browse to the C:\DISC2\GAMEDATA folder and click OK to continue.

- When you are prompted to place disc 3 in the drive, do not insert CD#3 in the CD drive, simply browse to the C:\DISC3\GAMEDATA folder and click OK to continue.

- When you are prompted to place disc 1 in the drive to complete the installation, browse to the CD drive, and open the GAMEDATA folder and click OK to see if this completes the installation.

If the installation is successful, you can manually delete the Disc2 and Disc3 folders you created on your harddrive.

If you appear to have a defective game CD, we suggest you try exchanging the game for another copy from the store where you purchased the game. If they will not replace the game for you, you can send the CD(s) to us for replacement. There is a 90-day warranty on all of our games. During this period you may return a defective CD and receive a free replacement (please send a dated copy of the proof of purchase). If it has been more than 90 days since the date of purchase you can send in the defective CD(s) plus a check or money order to cover replacement costs (shipping & handling is already included). We charge $5 for a replacement CD or set of CD’s for a single game. Send the CD(s) and payment (if out-of-warranty) to:

LucasArts

Attn: Product Support

P.O. Box 10307

San Rafael, CA 94912

Please attach a short note specifying that you need a replacement of the item sent, with your name and address also appearing on the note.

I had a bunch of installation problems putting it on my laptop. I couldn't even install it unless I did the workaround at the beginning of this thread. Even then, I'm still having problems with the menu graphics. The screen is black except for the menus themselves, and I don't see any of the cut scenes from the movies. I hear them, but the screen is just black.

I get the game installed all fine. Then the start up screen comes up fine. When I clicked start game, the computer sounds like it starts to load but nothing happens then a message comes up saying Unable to authenticate original disc within time limits.

Why is it doing this?

I have gotten an error message on the second or third CD too, however I have been able to install the game properly...atleast I think. My problem arises when I actually try to run the game. My PC resets everytime I try to run the game. Please, can somebody help?

I have 50 gigs of free space and my PC specs are:

Alienware Area 51 System

2.53 P4 CPU

Intel 850 mobo

512 MB RAM

GF4ti4600

80G HD

Hi everyone!

I purchased SWB yesterday. The installation was flawless. So was the patch application. All test results were perfect, including DirectX (9.0c). I have a Pentium IV, 1.4, 512 RAMBUS, nVidia GeForce FX 5200 - latest drives - 128MB - 30GB free of HD - well - everything!

But, when I click "Play SWB", after ALL the ads, it appears a screen with the revolving planets, with the word BACK on the lower left corner, and THAT'S IT! I cannot do anything! I move the mouse ok, but I can't click on the BACK button! It looks like a screensaver!

The "select player" screen never appeared! I tried reinstalling it 3 times!

What's going on? Is it a problem with the software? Why? please contact me! thank you!

Archived