Home

Does anyone have strategy for Hoth both Imps and Rebs?

Evil Dark Jedi

Originally posted by Evil Dark Jedi

I need startegy for both Imps and Rebs cause I just cant beat it. All tips appreciated.

I've been playing on Xbox Live for two nights now and have yet to see anything like strategy or even teamwork and cooperation. All I see is bunch of people who jump in the nearest vehicle and take it out for a joy ride.

EB

I got on a live game last night on PC...didn't know anyone, just picked one at random...happened to be on Hoth. My tip for hoth (either side) is this: Snowspeeders are your best friend. Almost to the point of being cheesy. I'm a relative FPS newbie, and I owned for a good long time form my speeder while teammates captured posts. Spend time in singleplayer learning to fly, turn, adjust speed, and you'll be untouchable. Never had the chance to get a co-pilot so we could tow cable an at-at, but saw teammates do it....WAY faster than taking it down with blasters (although vanguards do surprisingly well even against at-ats). Snowspeeders chew up footmen and are pretty gooad against AT-STs too if you make several passes and know how and when to fly evasively.

I tried for about 4 battles worth and couldn't do it.

I tried getting in the gunner seat and letting a bot fly (came close a few times) and I tried piloting a straight course, switching positions mid air to launch the harpoon, switching back to fly circles...lets see Mr. Skywalker pull that off!

In the end I focused on taking bases and limiting the Imperial rush and was able to defend the generator.

So I guess in conclusion: If you want to win the battle solo, ignore the walkers; if you want to take one down for the memories, get some snacks anda good spot onthe couch - cause you'll be there a while! (not that thats a bad thing)

Anyone noticed how usefull trenches really are?

OK, I figured it out, but can I explain it.

-when you fly out of the hanger, get to a comfortalbe altitude, and head toward the AT-AT's. Then press R2, this will swith to co-pilot control. Move RT anolog, so that in co-pilot view you are viewing your ship from the right side as far back as you can go. Your just changing the perspective of the view. Then switch back to pilot by pressing R2 again. Now head toward the AT-AT and pass slow and low on the right side, use rt anolog to control speed. This is where it gets tricky, you are gonna need to be quick here. As you approach switch to co-pilot again, and then press R1, this will fire the harpoon. Try to time it so you hit a leg,(you will notice that because you set up the right perspective you get a nice look at the harpoon. Hopefully you hit a leg, then you need to quickly press R2 again , which takes you back to pilot, and immediatly start banking hard to the left. It will take a few tries to get the hang of it and dont be discoraged if you dont get a hit right away. Once you get it then it's just a matter of flying a tight circle to bring the snowwalker down. ( it will happen automatically so no need to drop the cable. Best of luck. No way Im saying the 'force' line!:atat:

tips for rebels is id say man the anti tank turrets, the round things that remind me of sat dishes lol anyway man 1 of those and just keep firing at the at at eventually it will die, if u happen to be on xbox with a mate very usefull to use speeders or 2 turrets

oh btw i own sw:bf on pc and xbox lol

• 3 weeks later...

To win Hoth:

As Empire

Keep your AT-AT's very close together (this will best protect them from tow-cable attacks) and make your way to the energy shield. Take out the CP that hosts the speeders ASAP. The most efficient way to do this is to attack the closest CP from the start of the game and work your way thru the rebel base. If you find the team your going against is using no teamwork whatsoever, try steeling a tong-tong (sp) and run towards the main hanger door. Once you have taken over the hanger, make sure the rebels dont take it back. Also, be sure you dont loose your starting CP in this process (where the AT-ST's spawn). It's good to keep a steady flow of AT-ST's on the battlefield. The key is to take these CP as fast as possible.

As Rebels

Defend your hanger as best as you can. You will want to take over the far Imperial CP asap so you can stop the spawning of more AT-ST's. It would be great if you could steal one also but your first objective would be to take that CP. Hold your bunkers strong. If you loose the bunker on the same side as the shield generator, no big loss but dont loose the bunker that connects to the hanger or you will be in for a long day fighting in the hallways of Echo Base. Be sure you have a strong ground attack before your whole team runs for speeders. If you best players are all in speeders you will loose. Stopping the Empire from taking the hanger and bunkers is your ultimate key to victory. If the shield generator gets destroyed in the process, its no big deal. Better to protect Echo Base and steel that AT-ST spawning CP.

If anyone would like to add or disagree with this, by all means...post away.

Kenobii

I only disagree w/ one thing. If all your best Rebel players are in speeders the AT-AT's don't stand a chance. Then after they're taken down the speeders can mow down troops at Imperial CP's until the AT-AT's respawn. Also, if your speeder CP gets captured, get as many people to go Vanguard as you can to take down the walkers....if it's possible on Rhen Var it's possible on Hoth.

Originally posted by Kenobii

To win Hoth:

As Empire

Keep your AT-AT's very close together (this will best protect them from tow-cable attacks) and make your way to the energy shield. Take out the CP that hosts the speeders ASAP. The most efficient way to do this is to attack the closest CP from the start of the game and work your way thru the rebel base. If you find the team your going against is using no teamwork whatsoever, try steeling a tong-tong (sp) and run towards the main hanger door. Once you have taken over the hanger, make sure the rebels dont take it back. Also, be sure you dont loose your starting CP in this process (where the AT-ST's spawn). It's good to keep a steady flow of AT-ST's on the battlefield. The key is to take these CP as fast as possible.

As Rebels

Defend your hanger as best as you can. You will want to take over the far Imperial CP asap so you can stop the spawning of more AT-ST's. It would be great if you could steal one also but your first objective would be to take that CP. Hold your bunkers strong. If you loose the bunker on the same side as the shield generator, no big loss but dont loose the bunker that connects to the hanger or you will be in for a long day fighting in the hallways of Echo Base. Be sure you have a strong ground attack before your whole team runs for speeders. If you best players are all in speeders you will loose. Stopping the Empire from taking the hanger and bunkers is your ultimate key to victory. If the shield generator gets destroyed in the process, its no big deal. Better to protect Echo Base and steel that AT-ST spawning CP.

If anyone would like to add or disagree with this, by all means...post away.

Kenobii

As Rebels: Spwan at Echo Base wait for bot to get in a snowspeeder, when one does hop in. Make sure your the pilot (Make sure difficulty is on hard) Make strafing runs, until the AT-ATs get too close then make passes around them until the bot in the co-pilot seat shoots the harpoon, then wrap around(bots do shoot the harpoon).I've won as the Rebels 1 to 0, by saying in my speeder the whole time, I never died and got 83 kills!!!(so what if they were bots, it was on hard) I took down two AT-ATs with a bot Co-Pilot. The imperials had us down 12-1, the imps were coming down from capturing Echo Base, I saw them coming down the hill and I opened up....won 1-0.:D

As Empire: All the Bots naturally focus on the first base on the right of the Imperial spwan point, so capture the CP on the left then get two Stormtroopers to follow you (make sure it's on hard) to the shield generator, go by the gonk, throw concussion grenades at the SG and the bots will too, belive it or not it works real good, cause all the Rebels are focused on the first CP on the right. Then take Echo Base, Go down the Ice Caves, capture the CP called the "controls" then go through the Ice caves to the Last Rebel CP and slaughter them from behind!!!:D

As Rebels: spawn as a Pilot, and try to get into a Snow Speeder, then wait for the Tow Cable pilot. When he's in the speeder, head for the AT-AT's and destroy em'. When they are destroyed it will take a while before they respawn, meanwhile you can shoot infantry or destroy AT-ST's. Good Luck! (Always works with me) :atat:

• 4 weeks later...

If you're playing as rebels in a big server its a lot harder to harpoon the AT-ATs because the Imperials tend to have 4/5 shocktroopers and an AT-ST providing AA cover. You dont need all 4 speeders to use their tow cables, only 2, so its probably a good idea to have the others shoot up the shock troopers a little, if only to provide a distraction. Having a couple of half decent snipers help out is always worthwhile as well.

If you are piloting an AT-AT and a snowspeeder is circling around, aim your head down left as far as possible, then watch your radar and fire when you have the feeling the snowspeeder is passing by. If the snowspeeder is passing by ubder your head (so you can't hit him) walk backward while performing the same trick. It really works

• 2 weeks later...

Empire > The key is to get your AT ATs and AT STs to camp both exits of Echo Base, which also nullifies the snowspeeders. Get your vehicles and infantry to target the radar dish turrets first, as they do MASSIVE damage against AT ATs (well it's only 1 tiny bar per shot, but that's much more than anything else the rebels have).

Snowspeeders are hardly a threat to AT ATs, as long as you have shock troopers around to shoot them down with rockets. If they even try to entangle your AT ATs, they will be slow sitting ducks, and can be easily wiped out by 3-4 rockets.

Just prevent the turrets and snowspeeders from taking down your AT ATs, roll up to the entrances, and prepare for uber ownage.

---

Rebels > Do NOT use the snowspeeders to trip up the AT ATs. By now, lots of imps have shock troopers standing by to shoot you down. The gun is also pathetic against armour. Instead, get the snowspeeders to concentrate on the INFANTRY. Do nothing but massacre the poor infantry, especially the snipers who are killing the turret gunners, and think they are safe, on hilltops.

The rebels need to man their radar dish turrets, and have vanguards to take out the AT ATs and AT STs. Don't let them get close, or you'll have a hard time coordinating an assault on them.

---

Curiously enough, the shield generator can be safely ignored for both sides. Echo base is the most important CP in the game.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by vivatforx

does anyone know if it is possible to take down an ATAT in single player. or do i just suck because i let the bots do all that work for me?

yeah, get in a snowspeeder and wait for an AI to be your copilot. fly out to the at-at's and start circling one, staying low. your co-pilot will fire the two cable and then start circling the at-ats legs. it takes about 4 or 5 passes. be carefull not to hit his legs and if you go too high, youll get raped by his blasters... hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

How To Beat The AT-ATs In Hoth

Wait for someone to get in a snowspeeder then jump in yourself. Fly towards the AT-ATs full speed and when you get near press R2 to be co pilot then grab on to the walkers legs with your harpoon gun. When you have caught it use your secondary laser and pick off all the enemy troopers that spawn out of the AT-ATs When the walker is down go for the next one then fly around and blow the AT-STs into bits. With the walker trick, let the AI be the pilot that way you don't have to do the dirty work:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hope this helps

• 7 months later...

This strategy is for me versus the computer on Medium difficulty - dont know how well it would work on other settings/against humans....

Well, for Imps I use either Stormtropper or Dark Trooper, pile into a AT-ST at the beginning, and head straight for the Rebel Echo Base...if you just go straight for it, you should get there virtually unscathed and you can take down a few Taun Tauns/Rebels on the way...

Once you get to the entrance, debark, send the driver on his way, and you should be able to capture the CP without too much trouble....this is also prevents the Snowspeeders from re-spawning I believe which will help your AT-ATs...

Once you have that, proceed down the tunnel (grenades will help clear any opposition here) to get the Control CP and then on to the Outpost - what youre doing is effectively going behind the enemy lines - meanwhile your teammates should be keeping the Rebels occupied, leaving you unopposed to singlehandedly capute 3 CPs!! Depending on how well the computer is doing, it sometimes captures the Bunker CP by this point - mop up any Rebels in the trenches by the Outpost, then you can head over to the Bunker CP if necessary to help out there. If you get whacked, and you have captured say 2-3 CPs, I would suggest re-spawning as a pilot and jumping in a AT-ST to finish the Rebels off - by this time their reinforcement meter should be taking a beating...

Works every time for me...be mindful of a lone Rebel re-capturing the Echo Base CP however....

Hope that helps!!!

Archived