Home

[UPDATE] An official post regarding several issues with SWBF

GrooveSim

Last updated 10/15/04

Remember to check back here often!

10/15/04: Yet another update!: The SWBF development team posted another thread with previews of what to expect soon. Each update listed will be incorporated:

- The ability to change the default Reinforcement counter

- The ability for the Host to Boot players

- The ability to Ban players from a server

- We've added the ability to be Invulnerable for a period of time when the player spawns in. The amount of time the player is invulnerable is determined by the server.

- When running a dedicated server,the game session window is now moveable

Click here to read the entire post.

10/13/04: LucasArts posted a thread speaking to people using Road Runner as their ISP:

Road Runner (Time Warner Cable) users please note that LucasArts cannot send email to your Road Runner address (@rr.com). So if you email LucasArts Technical support by clicking here please use a different email address or contact Technical Support by phone or fax.

10/09/04 There's also a Stuck thread on this forum regarding the V 1.01 SWBF patch for pc owners which I'm sure most have seen. For others who haven't, here's the link .

10/08/04: Nothing real new in the way of fixes but the SW Development Team posted another [locked] thread to assure all concerned they are still busy working on fixes and upgrades @ LucasArts.com: Here

UPDATE 9/28/2004: Xbox Live Auto-Update for Star Wars: Battlefront Major Nelson, Director of Programming for Xbox Live earlier announced there will be an auto-update that addresses "some connectivity issues" Xbox Live subscribers have experienced with SWBF.

This is a required/mandatory update. Anyone logging on to Live via SWBF after 3PM EST should see the prompt. If for some reason you don't it's suggested to please sign out of Xbox Live, and power cycle your box and sign in again. You should receive the prompt for the auto update at that time. If you continue to have problems, call 1-800-4MYXBOX. In addition users who wish to play together with this title must both have the auto update.

*note*There is no way to force the ability to receive the auto update.

Also of note is the fact the development team is also working on Xbox Live related issues such as Voice recognition(being able to tell who's speaking) and Leaderboards. You can read about that in .this thread @ LucasArts.com .

For Major Nelson's announcement, you'll find that here. *Note* You must be registered and logged in at the xbox.com forums to read the announcement. But, I already pasted the relevant info.

That's all for now.

UPDATE: PS2 Patch released

As posted in this thread :

Hello again from the Star Wars Battlefront development team. Here?s a quick update regarding the PS2 version:

We have just enabled a patch for the PS2 version that will fix the server browser and join issues. The patch will be downloaded automatically when you log on for online play. Please also remember the following interface tips when logging on for online matches:

1. In the server browser window, pressing Left or Right Trigger will page up or down one screen at a time.

2. If you press Refresh, you can get your selection rectangle to jump to the top of the list. This is useful if your selected server drops to the bottom of the list.

We are continually working to optimize the online experience for PS2 players so stay tuned for more updates. For Xbox and PC players, we are working on similar patches and enhancements and we will let everyone know as soon as they become available.

Thanks again for the support and enjoy Star Wars Battlefront.

Star Wars Battlefront development team.

The original Star Wars Battlefront development team thread is now locked but the issues addressed still apply. It appears solutions for most, if not all problems are forthcoming.

Just an excerpt:

lec_webjedi wrote:

Greetings from the Star Wars Battlefront development team. We?re very excited that the game has finally hit the shelves and is in your hands. We?re committed to supporting the game and improving the experience for players. Many of us are monitoring various boards and listening to player feedback regarding the title. We would like to address several known issues regarding the gameplay and the player experience:

- Lag on servers ? For people hosting games on their home systems, the important thing to keep in mind is that game performance is most affected by your upstream bandwidth. This is the amount of data that you can send to the Internet. Most standard DSL connections are capable of sending only 128 kilobits upstream. Star Wars Battlefront needs to send at least 40kbps per client over the upstream connection. Therefore, on a standard DSL connection, you will only be able to host a game for 3 other players.

If you're hosting a Star Wars Battlefront game, you can set your Hosting Bandwidth in the Online options menu. We do not prevent you from setting this higher than your actual connection speed, but everyone in your game will experience poor performance if too many players join the game. If you'd like to host your own games with a large number of players (i.e. 16 or more), then we recommend you have at least a T1 connection to the Internet. For more information regarding your bandwidth, we suggest you contact your Internet Service Provider.

To read the entire post; click here.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Sam Fisher

Yeah, well, we just hope they'll have a patch out soon...

I haven't even tried the MP yet :o The SP is very fun :D

Better hope for an entirely new engine cause a patch isn't going to cover what is wrong with this console game for the PC.

The game play is just fine. The little annoying things is what is killing the game. Server stability and server options. Menu and server list options. Yea it is not a polished game like farcry but it is decent enough for me. And people complain about every game. Doom3 has a short life span too cause the multiplayer really sucks. The pc version will be fine with a couple of patches infact console players are having the same issues we are with the server listing and so on.

Ok I will give my input now.

No wonder they didn't release a free demo for this game! They were probably afraid that the game would get a bad rap amongst the pc gamers if a demo came out before the release and now that I went out today and shelled out the 50 bones for it it's no wonder why. I barely played the single player but it seemed fine. I basically bought this game for multiplayer and I was hoping to enjoy some major star wars battles but as many others have already found out there are a lot of problems. The first things that jumped right out at me when I logged onto gamespy were,

1. The gamespy servers suck.

2. The maps are waaaaaay too small.

3. it took like a whole 3 minutes for one team to defeat the other and then I would have to wait for the next map to load, wash and repeat until the server crashes or until gamespy starts to such even more.

4. That brings up my next point, serious server instability issues.

5. the vehicles seem to be very arcadish, but i understand that this was meant to be for the console first.

6. the outdoor maps lack a lot of detail, aka nowhere to hide. Just wait until someone blasts u unless u get them first. It feals like one big slugfest.

In conclusion the pc version has a long long long way to go before it becomes playable imho. I am somewhat dissapointed. I get the fealing that they really rushed this game out the door before everyone goes fruitloops over hl2 or something. This game needs emediate open heart surgery and risks dying on the operating table if it isnt done fast. I think I will go back and play some cod uo for now.

so am i to believe that the only official response regarding the framerate lock is this......

"The framerate lock is set to 20 by default. You can set the values to 15, 20 or 30. To change the settings, go to the main menu and select Options/Online Options and then change the ?Ticks per second? setting."

so in otherwords, they dont consider 30fps to be a problem and actually deliberately locked it?????

so am i to believe that the only official response regarding the framerate lock is this......

That's all they had to say then, on Sep. 22 when the game had just come out. They wanted to address the major issues that everyone was complaining about. It states the purpose of the post clearly if you had read the whole thing. They may/may not be looking at "fixing" it. That was two days ago and the game is just out. They probably are going to fix the larger problems first. 30 FPS really isn't a problem... annoying but not a serious issue at the moment. Certainly not in a developer's eyes. There are only so many hours in a day, they can't fix everything quickly.

Originally posted by WooGuy

How about the XBOX version?

As quoted in my first post:

lec_webjedi wrote:

For Xbox and PC players, we are working on similar patches and enhancements and we will let everyone know as soon as they become available.

Granted, it's not much to go on, but they are aware and are working on fixes and upgrades related to issues experienced with the Xbox version - as well as the other versions.

I suggest reading what LucasArts said in the two threads I provided links to. As more info comes in I'll update this thread.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Iceman_IX

30 FPS really isn't a problem... annoying but not a serious issue at the moment.

um dude? 30 fps is a SERIOUS problem that must be fixed ASAP. it is the only thing ruining the multiplayer experience for me at the moment, gameplay issues aside. it is totally inacceptable to have anything less than 60 fps with a decent graphics card like mine. it makes me want to throw up all over my new card. the fact they knew it was locked to 30fps before they released it makes me even more sick. how can they think thats ok?

I don't think the game is that bad at all. It's like a few reviews said: there are lot's of this kind of games for PC, so it doesn't really add something to the genre.

There are off course lag issues, and some other problems that can be fixed with patches, but I'm sure of it that a lot of people just got their expectations to high.

I Just Hope They Don't Abandon This "starwars Battlefront".. It's the First Time Ever Buying A Lucas Arts Game For me, And It Would Certainly Be My Last If No Effort Takes Place... The Game Really Isn't Far Off From Being Perfect Right Outta The Box For The PC Version... But If This Game Was Only Meant To Have People Host It On Their PC's, This Would Be A Load Of Sh!t... I Have Yet To See A real, Or Official Server Online, And Just Because It Says Dedicated Doesn't Mean Its A Real Server... Why Isn't There a Lucas Arts Server Or Two, Just To Show Us The Game Can Be Played Online? I'm Not Complaingin really, It's Just this game Does Rock And I Hope The Dev's Realize the Potential Here For Addons Which Means More $$$$ and More Fun For Us Gamers... I Do Have To Agree With Decepticon Here, Locking the Game at 30FPS Is Rediculous, and Hopefully They Change That...

Originally posted by Decepticon

um dude? 30 fps is a SERIOUS problem that must be fixed ASAP. it is the only thing ruining the multiplayer experience for me at the moment, gameplay issues aside. it is totally inacceptable to have anything less than 60 fps with a decent graphics card like mine. it makes me want to throw up all over my new card. the fact they knew it was locked to 30fps before they released it makes me even more sick. how can they think thats ok?

Dude!! You do know that a standard NTSC DVD movie only runs at approx. 29 fps. You know that you only see at 40 fps. Anything over 40 is overkill. So if you think about it, 30 fps is DVD quality in a video game.

You aren't dynamically interacting with a DVD movie though... I can easily notice a difference between 30 and 40-50fps visually, and even more so if I'm controlling it with the mouse. DVD video is also smoothed, which makes a lower framerate appear faster; computer games are sharp, which makes low framerate more obvious and annoying.

Originally posted by Steelhed

I Just Hope They Don't Abandon This "starwars Battlefront".. It's the First Time Ever Buying A Lucas Arts Game For me, And It Would Certainly Be My Last If No Effort Takes Place... ...

Don't worry, there will be patches released. I'm afraid to say that this is pretty much typical with games these days. Release now, and patch later. Pandemic/Lucasarts games are no different.

The problems with this game are fixable and it is in Lucasarts best interests (and to Pandemic since this game is probably the highest profile game they have made) to get these problems fixed and to have all of those who purchased this game to be very happy! Because happy players BUY SEQUELS TO THE GAMES THAT THEY ENJOY! If you have noticed about Lucasarts games, they love to have successful game franchises. Especially to Star Wars games. So you can feel pretty safe that the bugs will get fixed!;)

I like the way the Dev team is divying out the fixes where they are needed most. PS2 they have addressed, they plugged up a major hole in the PC version with a minor salve, and now they've done some work on XBox. Hopefully the critical issues will get addressed quickly and we can move on to some of the normal things we should see in patches (balance fixes, gameplay adjustments, interface fixes, server adjustments etc.)

They realized multiplayer was the focus so they wanted to make that quickly accessible and less frustrating before they can address everything. Hopefully they WILL get to the other stuff and not stop with these minor fixes that still need work.

DVD video is also smoothed, which makes a lower framerate appear faster

Have a beer or 2 while playing, it will smooth it right out. :D

Seriously, the 30fps lock is noticable (When i showed it to a friend one of his comments was 'this seems choppy'), but does the fps lock really bother you guys that much? This would be great if it was fixed, but truelly doesn't detract from my fun. Seems like a minor point to me, especially considering i spend much of my time at the server select list lol.

Fix all the server select issues etc.. and i'd be a happy camper. I am sure that patch is coming, can't wait.

Archived