177 members have voted

1. 1. RATE IT!BOOYAH!

• 90-100%
    • 70-80%
    • 50-60%
    • 30-40%
    • 10-20%
    • 0-9%

Just got this game and wanted to write a review.........

Well first of all the action is intense, i've only played a few modes such as instant action and Galactic Conquest. Great modes to be sure as there is always something going on, nver a dull moment. There are enough bots around so you'll never feel like you're completely alone. You can order them to follow you, spread out, hold position and jump into vehicles you're piloting. The most awesome vehicle i've come across is the speeder bike as you can have an ally jump on with you and you can zip around the enitre map, basically running over enemies and creating havok. The the thing about vehicles is that the bigger ones tend to be almost impossible to take down by yoourself. It can get frustrating because you think you're almost gonna take it down then you get shot and you have to start all over again. One thing i especially like about vehicles is that they are, in fact powerful, as they should be. A good shot can send troops flying hilariously through the air and tumbling as the hit ground. The AT-TE is slow but it created a lot of hell with the opposing team.

One big gripe i had is that the spaceships such as the x-wing and tie fighter simply don't have enough room in some of the maps for good dog fights (tatooine in particular). The control for vehicles is quite easy with directional movement from the mouse. You can also turn using the A or the D keys which makes control quite intuitive. Another gripe is I thought the maps would have been bigger but it seems a lot of them don't measure up to the size and detail found in EA's battlefield games. It seems as though a lot of control points are packed too closely with no room for maneuvers. So if they do another game i think it would be nice if they expanded on the size of the levels and the number of combatants as well as spreading out control points. Bots don't make the game any easier as they dont try to capture points on their own but they do capture points, it seems, by accident which is the case with the bespin map. In otherwords the AI ain't too smart but they are deadly accurate when it comes to shooting and they follow orders reasonably well.

There's a good selection of classes to choose from. My favorites are the grunts and the clone jet troopers. I played all the classes and they all have some good advantages and disadvantages. The only real problem with the weapons is that they are in fact too accurate, especially for the PC game. It's easy to take out guys from the other team as there is absolutely no recoil with your weapon. Yeah but this is star wars and the blasters dont have recoil as they are not hard ammo. But really just for this type of game the blasters need a recoil. The sniper gun has a recoil after firing, though. I think this should be visited in a patch.

The graphics were very nice, better than i expected. I have a mid range system and was able to run the game at 1024x768 with medium texture resolution and bump mapping on. The game ran at a crisp framerate and never slowed down in any instance. Sound was great as well. I think it's mandatory that you play this game with 5.1 sound as the explosions and the laser fire are absolutely astounding. Even on a low sound system it does sound great with the volume all the way up. Some of the blasts, particularly your own seemed muted down a bit but it's not a big problem. LA always does great sound though, and you'll be amazed with the explosions and such so no worries there.

I know a lot of people who were concerned with the heroes in the game such as darth vader, luke skywalker, mace windu, and count dooku. I think people believe that they make for an unfair advantage but really, the heroes don't do much, they aren't really invincible. they do go after opposing forces units but they don't force jump, push, or anything like that. All they do is basically kill you with a swing of the saber but you can easily outrun them if they come after you they can also block every shot. I was playing as a rebel grunt on naboo in galactic conquest when vader showed up and eliminated a few teammates. I threw a grenade at him, which sent him flying and rolling, he "died" then disappeared a moment later. He did, however come back and caused trouble for my team but overall the hero characters aren't much to worry about. You can eliminate them with a well placed grenade or a close proximity ground shot from a vehicle. But they do come back so be careful.

Overall i think this is a great game and one of the best i played this year. I think Pandemic deserves praise for a job well done. I do wish that some of the maps were bigger but maybe they can do a touch up with patches or go back and revisit some of the levels. More combatants would be great as well but the game does pretty well with what it has. The battles are intense and it really immerses you into the game. That whole star wars feeling is abundant throughout (at least to me). Hopefully the devs will see the potential for editing as this game is something i really want to create new maps for so if any devs are reading this, please, PLEASE release editing tools!!

On a scale out of 10 this one gets a 9.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally, a good and indepth fan review. Things don't sound disappionting with the PC as IGN had made it seem. There is some recoild tough but it kicks in after firing the whole clip non stop near the end. But we'll see if any patches come up. Can you also state your system stats and maybe alot of the graphical things you had turned on/off like AA for example.

yeah i don't think IGN really gave the game a fair chance. I have a feeling the reviewer wasn't into these types of games, but to each his own. I think this game is awesome, and it does take a lot to impress me after playing bf vietnam, they really impressed me with the walkers such as the AT-AT and AT-TE.

As for my specs:

AMD Athlon 2700 (2.16 Ghz) Processor

512 MB RAM

G-Force 4 Ti 4200 (64 MB) video card

Integrated 5.1 sound - MSI Motherboard (The sound is great for a $60 motherboard as well)

I think this is pretty mid range as my video card is getting old plus a lot more games require 1 Gig of RAM nowadays but like i stated, i was able to run the game smoothly at 1024x768 resolution with medium texure settings and bump mapping turned on.

all i need is an LCD monitor or a plasma display and i'll be set.

just offering some thoughts on teh Pc version.

well i myself have played it. and i would have to agree with IGN review to some extent. (dont believe the thing about the Bots though, there no where near as stupid as IGN makes them out to be)

its an ok at best PC game, but good for consoles. its so obvious this game was designed for consoles and ported to PC.

the controls for vehicles (Especialy flying vehicles) are terrible. there are no flight physics like BF1942. its more like rogue squadron 1, realy arcady twitchy. you cant simply land your vehicle like in BF1942. you have to press a Take off/ Land button that automatically lands or takes off the craft (computer does it for you :rolleyes: )

the graphics imo look worse on PC than the PS2 or Xbox because the PC uses a monitor, therefore you have a higher resolution wich shows up the low poly models and textures much more than a TV does.

The game however is very fun as an infantry game, and imo they should have left it at that. OR come up with better code for the vehicles. maps like Mos eisly and rhen var, yavin temple etc, realy show how good an infantry game it is.

sound effects are great, and the maps are pretty good, if a little small. (hoth suffers greatly from this)

my advice would be if you have a console ANd a PC, go for the console version, as the Pc version just doesnt feel right in comparison.

it sounds strange i know, but as the game was made for consoles, if i were to score it, id give the console version a higher score than the PC version simply because it Feels right on a console, and feels like a cheap port on PC.

there both identicle, except that maps like endor have more vegitation on the PC version.

the major gripes not concerning controls or feel i have being a bit of a star wars nerd, are the fact that everything feels miniature. like little lego things or something. the scales of the At-AT's ships, and people seem to small and midget like. proportions just seem very odd, has anyone else felt that?

anyway thats my thoughts on the PC, if you have a console, go for the console version, the benefits of going for the Pc are not enough to justify the worse gameplay and feel.

however no one has to listen to my opinon, just thought id help those wondering where their money should go :)

cheers.

Preach

Dude how can you say the graphics are better on the console then the pc. I dont care what anyone says the PC version has better graphics. That was the stupidest comment i ever heard. You are probably playing the game on lowest specs you can. And almost all fps with planes on take time to get use too. It took me awhile to get use to BattleFields planes. And the game is the same on all versions. The only thing that differs is the graphics. How can someone tell me that there xbox (800mhz PIII) is going to look better then my 3400+ 64 bit Athlon with a radeon X800? And we all know the real good servers are going to be on the pc. Who wants to play off of someones cable modem server? Most of the servers on consoles are off peoples connections. Yea that is fine for racing games and 4 player type games but not a fps that is ment to be played with alot of people. Nothing will beat 32 man and 32 bot PC server the action will be so intense. I am not trying to flame you but u really flamed the pc and i have to defend that.

well for starters i have a GForce FX 5900 ultra with 256mb DDr ram.

i have 1 gigabyte of DDR memory, soundblaster audigy player. and an AMD 1900 XP.

implaying the Game at full GFX.

and it is quite easy if you understood what i wrote, to understand my meaning. the polygon count and texture size on the models, is a fraction of what available on games like Doom 3.

therefore it is indeed quite possible for the game to look worse on a PC monitor screen when u have a clear 1024 x 768 or higher resolution, since a Tv resolution is much lower, giving the impresion teh textures and models are of hgher quality.

yes i know it sounds strange, but those that are technicaly savvey, may undersand what im trying to say.

you come off as very fanboyish and defensive. i didnt Berrate the game. i just stated the Facts of my findings from playing tha game.

i could go into more detail and point out bugs, such as the AT-ST feet sometimes go through the terrain on tatooine, and at the tusken camp there is a small Stone fire that isnt on the ground it is slightly raised above it floating.

as i said. i have payed attention to the details of the game, and stated what i have found, yes alot of it is indeed my opinoin. but her is no need to come out shouting back at me. as if i was some computer illiterate person.

i also have a number of screenshots if your interested. id be happy to send them.

oh just a quick note. i believe IGN said the PC version was the Cleaner of the 3. This is because as i stated, it is played on a monitor, whereas the other 2 are played on a TV.

i am also willing to bet the Textures were upped from a possible 256 x 256, to 512 x 512. to give u a small comparison.

bf1942 is about 2 years older game, and alot of its texture sizes are 1024 x 1024.

agreed tyler. but at the end of the day, would you not also agree thats sad?

that we as Pc gamers must rely on amature Modders to freely improve the game for us, even though we have just paid e.g. £39.99 to the profesional game makersat pandemic, who get paid £xxx a year anyway?

imo, i think thats pretty sad.

I am only going to say this one more time. The models look fine. You cant expect Doom3 type models. I mean comeon. The pic i linked to was real time. The models look dang good. And the glitches you talked about tell me one game that does not have them? I am sure if you looked at the xbox game you would fine alot of glitches too. Monitor would only improve the visuals. When you enable Anti-aliasing and Anisotropic filtering the texture will really look smooth. I keep hearing these console people trying to bash the pc at every chance they can. The game looks great on both. But the graphics will look better on the PC. I think they envy the 32 man internet support and the faster servers.

perhaps you missed my post refering to the fact i am not a fan boy of either.

and the reasons as to WHY it looks worse. If you had some Technical Knowledge (im assuming you have very little judging by your replies) then you may understand where i am coming from.

no i dont expect doom3 visuals. that is also why i provided you with an example of BF1942 which is a game 2 years older than SWBF.

perhaps a more thorough read of the posts in the thread, woudl allow you to create a better argument against what i have to say.

i also sent you a private message refering to sending you Screenshots to prove what graphics im actually playing it in. so you know where my source reference is coming from.

well unfortunatly you didnt state which version. PC or console.

i would rate the Pc version within your 50-60% range, as it feels like a cheap console port. and doesnt translate well.

however i would rate the Console version much higher. perhaps 80-90%

however i can only vote once :rolleyes:

also. you are in an SW:BF forum. lol so you can't exactly expect a completely unbiased opinon from all. i expect to see the 90-100% vote take the lead at all times. as most people will defy and deny any shortcummings the game may have.

Not that anything anyone says or does would or could change my mind about getting the PC version, I still think that you don't seem to be too convincing. Your biggest complaint is that is doesn't feel right on PC. Let me ask you, do you play shooters a lot? Do you play them on consoles or PC usually? That can seriously affect how you feel the game feels.

Plus, no matter what, for me, I know that the PC version will feel better. I'm not good with shooters on consoles, period. Trying to play a shooter on a console is about as funs as wading waist deep through crap. For me at least. I always use PC, and it will always, and no matter how you may personally judge the game to "feel," I'll enjoy it more on PC.

Even if the graphics really are as "sad" as you say they are, I know for a fact that they will look plenty good. The game will look very good, regardless, and I'm still convinced it will look better on PC than on consoles.

Archived