• 70-80%
    • 50-60%
    • 30-40%
    • 10-20%
    • 0-9%

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off i have to say the game is by far much better than the reviewer at IGN made it sound.

i won't touch on the AI issues as i have never tried the single player and i immediately turned all bots off in multiplayer.

Graphics:

By and large the graphics are very good.. high detailed models, good use of shadows. Smooth gameplay. in this category the game gets a 9/10 from me.

Sound:

Again very well done.. but then again.. if it didn't have great sound coming from LA then i'd suspect something was awry..

9/10

Gameplay:

The Gameplay is very much like BF1942 but no suprise there. The maps are varied in size and design. from Large to small. i was really suprised that the IGN reviewer was complaining about small maps, yes some maps are small but there are also some good size maps (Hoth and Endor come to mind). The controls are standard FPS controls.. when compared to BF1942 the controls seem to offer less options..

For instance i didn't see any way to switch directly from pistol to rifle directly, but instead you have to scroll between the 2. even though there are only 2 i personally like the option of pushing a key for rifle, and a key for pistol. same for the 2 grenade types. There should have been a way to select it directly instead of cycling. This philosphy also spills over into changing position in vehicles, you don't direct select you cycle.

The animations are top notch. little things like Jump + Strafe is a roll is a nice touch. The only thing i think some people will not like is you are unable to Shoot while jumping.

The vehicles are great. the AT-ST walking animation and the effect in the cockpit is great. although the walkers in particular are very strong. expect to die a lot going up against the imperial walkers. A very nice touch is the inability to capture flags while in vehicles makes the domination of vehicles lesser and the need for team work a must.

As a slight annoyance i haven't been able to figure out what the Perspective key does. i was hoping for external vehicle views but no go.

As far as games go i'd probably give SW:BF a final rating of 8.5/10.

its a fun game, definately not as bad as the reviewers are stating. things i see as cons in the game are: some necissary control options are missing. A much better dedicated server with a remote console (i don't think it is possible to kick a player yet)..

The menu is simple and set in the era that the movie was originally made (orange and all), to say it is not upto par with your cell phone just means you talk too much.

I totally back up stormies opinion and say this to nolasurfr;

If you dont like it, take it back, as we don't want to hear about this compared to other games or hear you when we are playing.

I find it totally different to just about any game I have played and thankfully it isnt like D3 or the others as then you would be saying it was just a rip off.

If ya having probs with the reaction of the game, turn your game sensitivity up and your personal one down.

Cheers Big Ears

yea some of them where different..

el alamein was definately a huge map that took a while to get going.. in competition though el al was a great map..

it seems the map design in SWBF is on action action action.. similar to uT2k4 onslaught mode.. make it so there is rarely a lull in the action..

You fellas are scaring me. Seriously. All these months building up to SW Battlefront, hearing all the good hype about it, and now ppl saying that the graphics on the main menu are comparable to a stinking mobile phone's!!!!

and that the maps are TOO small!!!!

someone please give me some reassurance that this will still be a great game!!!!:(

i agree with you, age_master.

BF1942 & BFVietnam maps were indeed too large to get around to the action. alot of the time the vehicles you would wish to find at a base were not there after trudging for 5mins across the map.

very frustrating.

i havent played SWBATTLEFRONT yet, but if the maps are small i would deem that as a good thing. close quarters action!!!

and the atat is just fine :)

If they released the demo we wouldnt be having these discussions really. I dont believe this person has the game. I think that they are posting something to get a reaction. No wait wait nobody has ever done that in a forum before. I am sure it is a good game. I love BF42 and StarWars BF42+SWBF=AWESOME

just wanted to add this..

as a negative it would appear that within a certain proximal distance to your location.. enemy players do show up on your minimap.. i don't know if it is a LOS issue or not but..

IMHO this absolutely has to be the first thing changed under no circumstances should enemy show up on your minimap..

I have the PS2 version and maps are huge but not so big it ruins the game, no comparison to the demo.

The game rocks and don't believe the stories until the real deal is available to all.

Graphics in game are awsome and the gameplay has been well thought out, plenty of spots to hide and the AI are killers on hard.

No buddies list which to me means ya gunna have to make friends and keep on making friend, which to some might be scary but it really does make for a better arena.

The vehicles, all 30 of em, are gobschmaking.

This game is as close to the movies as the scriptwriters themselves.

I got an early copy (snuck a sale in during my shift at work when it was behind the desk :smirk2: ) and I dunno what this guy is talking about but the graphics on high detail look great. The water reflects realistically, you can see wild life in the environment such as fish swimming, birds flying etc. and the bump mapping looks good to. It's nothing revolutionary and I give it 2 weeks before I uninstall and forget about it but it's good none the less. Also, why are you saying that it's slow? If you manage to find a server with a decent amount of people the game speed is actually well balanced.

7/10 from me. It's enjoyable but not spectacular.

7 out of 10 ?? lol

That is what I am talking about. I had this game as a 11 out of 10 in my heart.....To get 7 out of 10 really sucks....

Some people will enjoy this game, I was just let down by it!

If you don't belive I got it Monday, look at the link below for a photo of the CD's and time/date on my walmart reciept.

enjoy!

http://profiles.yahoo.com/nolasurfr

Have any of you set-up your keys in SWB ??

Talk about a limp menu set-up. It is very clumbersome to change your buttons for movement.

If Lucas is going to make movies in digital without film...

Lucas could have create a better design layout and menu controls better then a stupid sprintpcs phone.....

This is my opinion of course. as most of you i come from BF series, me BF vietnam. I had good expectations of this game but was disappointed by it.

1. Graphics are very poor.

2. AI sucks

3.The laser animation or blaster effects are extremely poor. you cant tell if you even hit someone half the time.

4. very poor interface.

5. poor browser and interface options for multiplayer.

6. Horrible Lag issues.

Some of the points not all of them. Game has ton of potential and would take alot of work to be half the game Vietnam is. Ill have my reciept in hand tomorrow.

I give it 4 out of 10

i rate it highly - in the 80 - 90% range. One thing that you have to do is to vary the maps on your online servers. You get sick and tired of playing 3 maps all the time. For a great game, que them all up for play when you initialise your server ;)

Oh yeah be wary of the open coms system on the PS2 version. We have already had cases of the 'Battlefront Breathers". People who exhale through their mouth when the game gets a bit hecktic can be a little disconcerting. It's really weird when the ticket points on your side start to fall drastically and people on your team get stressed - the heavy breathing comes into effect... ;)

Archived