• 70-80%
    • 50-60%
    • 30-40%
    • 10-20%
    • 0-9%

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh just one thing. one of my m8s was reading this thread and spotted something i obviously missed. someone posted saying they thought i was telling rubbish and that i didnt have the game, because they found "my" thread on another lucas forum under the name TK_Irit, and the specs were different to what i posted.

so i immediatly took a look at that thread by TK_Irit, and indeed, that person whoever he is, has obviously come on these forums, and pinched my review (bloody cheeky if you ask me)

and no TK_Irit is not me i assure you. i am not even a signed on member of the forum he posted on.

sorry to those that were confused :)

Originally posted by nolasurfr

The lag was really bad for me too. I have a t3 and i2 at my office and the lag was crazy.

I don't think they have any dedicated servers on fast t3's running yet.....

I don't know why they wouldn't!

Its because the only severs set up now are DSL and Cable modem. Give it a month and we'll have servers hosting on t1 and t3.

Oh, and I can see why most of the screenshots for this game are in third person, because the first preson weapon models suck!

Over the years having played games starting from the original Wolfenstein to BF1942 my tastes have evolved. I played nearly every serious Star Wars title there's been from X-wing to Dark Forces to KOTOR. SWBF had my interest from the start but I've been playing it and I hope it grows on me because so far I'm a little disappointed. I didn't have huge expectations I just wanted and official Star Wars game like BF1942 but not the Galactic Conquest mod. Don't get me wrong it has a lot to offer but its game play is very forced.

Maybe due to the engine they had to route players along seemingly open terrain but what was really closed channels. Instead of being wide open with a near infinite choice of paths you're confined to certain avenues. Certain FPS really give you that "I'm playing in a shoebox with the walls painted like sky and a sprinkling of objects to hide behind" kind of feel. BF1942 did a lot to not have that effect and make you think you could possibly venture in any direction. SWBF is more akin to standard FPS like MOHAA, Call of Duty, CS and UT 2004. The vehicles like someone has written don't manuever very naturally & to me are to much like UT 2004's style of vehicles.

I plan to keep playing and see how I feel.

One thing I know is retarded is the inability to capture points while in a vehicle. "Oh let me abandon my at-st to capture this point and expose myself and possibly have the vehicle stolen at the same time". I feel like a BF1942 NooB jumping out to capture a flag. There's one thing to change in the 1st patch.

Originally posted by panzer214

skrew driving the atat there is nothing like facing those mother"f"ers down and saying to yourself "i am f***ed now"

90% for me!

BOOYAH!!! [note:that is my poll-just saying]

i have to agree on this..

if there is one that pandemic got right (i think they got a lot right) it is the feel of the At-At and the At-St.. those At-Ats are one tough SOB. with a very powerful main gun (with 2 gunners they are devastating)... Really makes a ground pounder feel insignificant trying to battle one of them.

As a strategy side note, if you are in an At-At or At-St the first thing you should do when when assaulting a flag is destroying the ammo reload Gonk droids.. a player with the rocket launcher camping the reloader is pretty lethal against the At-Ats

Originally posted by panzer214

skrew driving the atat there is nothing like facing those mother"f"ers down and saying to yourself "i am f***ed now"

90% for me!

BOOYAH!!! [note:that is my poll-just saying]

i have to agree on this..

if there is one that pandemic got right (i think they got a lot right) it is the feel of the At-At and the At-St.. those At-Ats are one tough SOB. with a very powerful main gun (with 2 gunners they are devastating)... Really makes a ground pounder feel insignificant trying to battle one of them.

As a strategy side note, if you are in an At-At or At-St the first thing you should do when when assaulting a flag is destroying the ammo reload Gonk droids.. a player with the rocket launcher camping the reloader is pretty lethal against the At-Ats

The game itself is very good. I like many of the levels though there are some that I don't like that much. The Star Wars feeling is right there, I love it when there are lasers flying everywhere and dozens of stormtroopers after me hehe.

Sad thing is that there is a severe design flaw and that is the fps cap in the multiplayer. Hopefully there will be a workaround for that, I can't think of one good reason for it to be there.

I'd rate this game 9+/10 if I could play MP as smoothly as I can play SP.

By the way, The low fps in multi doesn't have anything to do with PC specs / internet connection speed, it's a "feature", believe it or not.

Wow, I am blown away by the graphics. Ive been playing BFV and 1942 since they came out, and the graphics in BF just makes those look so bad.

Maybe its just because Im running the game with all the graphics settings on high, but I played the game at EB on the xbox (they had it set up to play in the store) and ended up deciding on the PC version because A) I figure the online play will be better and more mod option B) I prefer mouse / kb to controller and C) the graphics seem to me much better on the PC

Now I have a pretty high spec pc, and running the game at high I have had no framerate issues at all, not even a hiccup with 32 people all blasting away on my screen.

I love the small maps myself, granted its a little difficult to fly, Ive always been an infantry guy myself in these games so no biggie to me, but it is a valid complaint. However my least favorite part of the BF games were the 5 minute runs through empty space with no action, you will never experience that in battlefront and I love that. I feel like they got the pace just right, not quite as fast paced as UT or Q3, but not the slo mo pace of BFV or CoD.

The server issues need to be fixed asap, and I hope they clean up the controls on the vehicles, but imo those are minor problems that will be fixed.

Bottom line, if you are a fan of large scale fps games, and are a fan of star wars, this is a MUST HAVE.

I love the game, i hope they fix the mp fps cap and the vehicle controls, otherwise its just so much fun. Very nice pace to it, beautiful graphics.

I disagree with the vehicle caps, I think they should leave it as is. The vehicles, especially the large ones, are extremely powerful and tough to kill. While I think that is a good thing (since the big vehicles in the star wars movies where generally killers) I think it would make it unbalanced to allow one person in an AT-AT to control a command point all by himself.

Originally posted by Dabba

Now I have a pretty high spec pc, and running the game at high I have had no framerate issues at all, not even a hiccup with 32 people all blasting away on my screen.

Can you honestly say that you are playing online with 32 players and the game is smooth? Because I get 60+ fps in single player no matter how many bots I see on the screen but in multiplayer even if I stare at the wall the fps won't go higher than 20-25.

No you are correct, Im talking about in the single player. Sadly there is currently a fps cap on the mp, thats one of the server issues Im hoping they fix. It is choppy on mp, but that has nothing to do with pc specs, its the odd fact that they have a framerate cap for multiplayer servers.

I shoulda been more specific there, my bad.

It sounds like all the problems are PC based. As for graphics... I really don't care, as long as graphics don't affect gameplay, I'm game! To get my point across as strong as possible... I'd play this game if it had Goldeneye(N64) graphics, ok? Anyway, the controls and interface issues seem to be worse on PC, if not only for PC. Buddy list, as someoen mentioned is fine cause ALL games have buddy list on XBox:D Maps can be smaller than BF1942 and I won't lose sleep although that'd be cool. So basically, my impression of your impressions leave the game 9/10 for me, although I haven't played it yet. I guess I'll rent it for my box and see...:deathii:

95% for me ,mainly because the graphics are a little choppy and the AI could be a little tougher ,but other than these things ,its great !!!!!! AWESOME STAR WARS FEEL BY THE WAY !!!!!!! I love how there are all these laser blasts firing past your head and all of the sounds of the battlefield coming together make it one bada** star warsy experiance ,and when you see that AT AT coming at you ,you want to just s**t in your pants ,its awesome and magical with all of the SW feel that is ,one great ans AWESOME GAME !!!!! I have the xbox version ,I dont know if that changes anything ,who else has the xbox version ?

Reelguy

Yeah, its pretty much a starwars version of battlefield. Yes, you can switch between first and third, but you cant do it on the fly unless you assigned it to a button. So you gonna get this game? came out a few hours ago. Got mine for X-box, and if youv been reading the other threads, its not good for ps2, so get it on pc or x-box. You cant take screensots in x-box unless you are willing to spend th 200$ for a digital camera. Im pretty sure you can take screenshots with c version, though. Unfortunately, i happen to be grounded at the moment, so i cant play until i pick my grades up. sigh...

I haven’t posted here before, but since people were asking for reviews I figured I’d give my two cents. I’m an old gaming vet with Half Life, Counterstrike, Day of Defeat, Battlefield 1942 (Desert Combat and Galactic Conquests Mods) and Battlefield Vietnam all behind me, among others. So, that said here’s how I’d stack the PC version of SWB up on an 1 to 10 scale.

Graphics 8: Not the most groundbreaking graphics for PC, but not the worse either. The outdoor environments look nice. Some of the player models were a tad fuzzy, but it wasn’t bad enough to make me feel there was a problem. I was especially pleased with the look of the vehicles, they all have good renders and they immersed me in the game sufficiently. The game makers managed to get all the movie environments pretty much on the mark. Everything here was more than enough to keep me happy.

Gameplay 7: Combat can be a bit confusing and fast paced. If you like that kind of thing, then it’s great, but if you’re into things going a bit slower it’s not totally your cup of tea. I’m not entirely sure that the inclusion of grenades on every class was the best option since there’s considerable grenade spamming in the infantry game. Still, once things get going the game plays very smoothly and it can be very fun. Many of the maps are very teamplay based, and when you’ve got a good team on your side they can be very fun. It’s a little bit of a mixed bag, but still well on my good side.

Levels 9: I think this area impressed me the most about the game. Echo Base is a wonder to behold the first time and it’s very impressive how well it mirrors the films and captures their atmosphere. Many of the other maps are pretty similar, and they create situations in which some pretty grand and sweeping battles occur, especially when heavy vehicles are involved. Wide open combat on the scale of some of the levels is pretty impressive for any game.

Vehicles 8: I seem to be in the minority, but I actually like how vehicles were handled. I never found the controls to be that much of an issue, and I honestly like how easy it is to jump into a ship and fly it around without much of a learning curve. I’m especially impressed at how much teamwork improves a lot of the vehicles, making full crews a lot more common than in some other online games. I found piloting with a mouse and keyboard easy as soon as I realized that the A and D keys were responsible for banking in air vehicles. Walkers are fairly fun too, especially the AT-AT on the assault. I know a lot of people didn’t like this system, but to each his own. There’s a lot for people to do if you don’t want to ever climb into a cockpit.

Interface and customization 5: This area seemed a bit forced and really showed its console roots. I’ve had a lot of trouble scrolling, having to resort to arrow keys as if I were using a gamepad. I also don’t like how limited the options are to change up mouse keys. I wasn’t able to set the game up to use the same key and mouse system that I use for other FPS games, and that disappointed me a bit. Still, there are worse things that can be wrong with a game.

Connectivity and Online Experience 9: In my experience, I saw a bare minimum of lag when I went online. I know some have reported just the opposite, but I haven’t experienced any of what they’ve spoken of. I’m using DSL and I have a modest computer with a very good Graphics Card and so far the game has run smooth as silk for me. Connections seem to be cleaner and faster than I’ve had with BF1942 or BFV. Only a few completely random CTD’s keep this from earning a 10.

So, there are my afore mentioned two cents. Everything considered I think I’d have to award the game an objective 7.5 out of 10 with my own personal tilt getting it to an 8 or 9. I’d recommend the game to Star Wars fans who are looking for some fun team play oriented maps and really want immersion in the Star Wars atmosphere. It’s not going to be the most groundbreaking game you’ve ever seen, but it’s a good way to spend your gaming hours.

The game is terribly uninspired.

Cons:

Both sides have the EXACT same weapon loadouts, hit detection blows, NO RCON, and NO admin setup of any kind, absolutely the most limited and anemic dedicated server I have EVER seen, (can't even enter commands in the console)cannot set almost ANY variables, time, ticket numbers, etc.

most weapons are terribly weak and innaccurate. Health is up at the far right, makes it a bitch to see, and the FOV is rather constricting. Snow speeders have no tow cables....etc.

PROS:

Killing rebel scum in an AT-AT PWNS!! The soundtrack....

Rather perty graphics.

The concept is the same as the Battlefield series, but you will certainly stumble upon differences. The biggest difference is the vehicle handling, IMO. If you liked the vehicle handling of the battlefield series, I think you are going to dislike the handling of SW:BF.

However, this might prove an incentive for players to leave the vehicle and just go by foot if it's coming to killing some1. That, IMO, is a good thing since it really gives the action a boost.

Well, I just purchased my copy on Ebay, so I will be playing the game within the next 3-4 days.

Anyway, I always wanted to play a stormtrooper. Screw vehicles, I like being on the ground and not driving in some heavily armored thing.. well maybe I would like to fly, but that is besides the point. Either way, I almost crapped myself when I saw the advertisement for the game, and I am sure I will crap myself when I play it for the first time.

Archived