177 members have voted

1. 1. RATE IT!BOOYAH!

• 90-100%
    • 70-80%
    • 50-60%
    • 30-40%
    • 10-20%
    • 0-9%

1)-been playing MP for about 6 or 7 games now, not a hint of lag even with 20+ people on the screen at once+vehicles....

specs:

Radeonx800 pro DDR3 256mb

1gb RAM

Audigy 2

160gb Serial ATA HD

AMD64 processer

standard cable connection

2)-The speeders do have tow cables, you need a gunner.

3)-Vehicle capping: maybe certain vehicles but not all.

4)-I agree about sever variables

5)-I agree about the weapon loadouts, accuracy is fine. I can ice a suka from across the map with the standard rifle if I'm precise, but the damage needs to be higher, you're right.

6)-The AI is pretty dumb. They have their smart moments, and sometimes it looks cool, but alot of times you'll get an AI sitting in the middle of nowhere staring at you and not returning fire, on normal. Dunno about hard yet, havn't given it a try.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by beefums

I fully intend on getting the PC version. If it is a Star Wars version of BF:V or BF:1942(which is all I ever play) I am definately getting it. I have always wanted a game like this.

:D Im going to get to live all my childhood dreams. lol

I personally feel its nothing like BFV or BF42. The movement of your models and the overall gameplay is nothing alike, in my opinion... I do like the open terrain maps on SWBF, but the city-like maps are kind of strange. The models look so small when standing next to a building or something of the sort... they just seem to be scaled weird compared to BFV's city like maps. I also feel the distances between you and your enemy are a little "different"... an ememy could be approximately 15-20 yards away and he looks so small to me, its tough to hit them, especially on the run.

Vehicles are completely different in terms of controls and probably rightfully so, since these vehicles pertain to a SW environment. I haven't gotten to try all of the vehicles, but even the more common ones that "may" resemble those of BFV, the controls are completely different... the way you move, manuever, get in and get out, etc..

If you are like me, which I see that you are, and are used to the BF series of games, then it will take some time to get used to this game. You have to approach with it with an open mind and know right away that you will need to kinda of start from scratch in terms of controls, vehicles, etc.

So far, my main grip is the user interface and the server browser.. I mean, for a "futuristic" game, they could've come up with something better than this... this looks like something that was produced 10 years ago... I mean, c'mon... so simplistic and cheesey, I found that to be very disappointing... not that it really matters, playing the game is what matters, but they could've prettied it up a little more than what it is..

'm going to give it another go tonight, playing some newer maps and such and continue to evaluate.

Originally bought ps2 version, got home, played it for 10 minutes before i decided to run out to get pc version. played pc version for the rest of the night. i am 100x more comfortable using the mouse+keyboard (but thats personal preference) and i feel the pc graphics blow the console graphics away.. but thats just my opinion.. i cant speak on xbox.

I've now played Battlefront on the x-box (got it yesterday and pretty much spent the rest of the afternoon playing it split screen with my friend and also playing a few solo battles in historical mode). Just so you know where I am coming from, I am an avid player of vanilla BF1942 (with the occasional game of Desert Combat and Galactic conquest) and I occasionally play BFV (but I don't play it often because of the friggin lag that I experience in it). I also enjoy playing coop games on BF1942 (which is basically playing with bots like Battlefront does).

Now that you know my history, here is what score I give Battlefront (on the x-box anyway): 8.5 out of 10.

Graphics: Wonderful. I don't know what some people are complaining about when it comes to the graphics. They look awesome IMO.

Sound: Awesome. I can't think of anything that I would improve up on this area at all.

Learning curve and gameplay: I personally had very little trouble in getting used to playing this game. Some people complain about controlling vehicles. I say that if they think this game is hard to control vehicles on, they are noobs because BF1942 is way harder. I have had no trouble using land vehicles, speeders, or anything else.

Size of the maps: I have only had one gripe with this so far and that is on Tatooine Dune sea and only when it was when I was in an x-wing. You have to turn around quite a lot to keep from going out of bounds. However if you are on the ground, that map is fine. The rest of the maps are also plenty big IMO.

AI: IGN and anyone else who gripes about the AI in Battlefront being dumb as rocks need to get their head examined. The bots in BF1942 were pretty smart in that they can fly and drive vehicles, but when it came to coordinated or purposeful attacks on capture points, the bots just didn't do that great of a job. They also didn't follow orders hardly at all. BFV's bots are slightly better. They will follow orders but their coordinated attacks on captue points weren't that much better than they were in BF1942. Now, as far as Battlefront goes, these bots are WAAYYYY better than either BF1942 or BFV. When I play Battlefront I am constantly amazed at how well the bots work to capture flags and provide support. I have, on more than one occasion, had a pilot come up to me and give me health and ammo. You rarely saw such a thing in BF1942 (even in MP!!) ;) The bots in Battlefront also seem to be able to go in and out of important buildings to capture flags located inside (such a thing would never be possible in BF1942 or BFV). They are also pretty deadly shots too. I have only played on medium difficulty and I have lost almost as many battles as I've won. Do the bots crash sometimes? Yeah. But not with NEARLY as much frequency as they do in BF1942. Heck, on Hoth you will occasionally see speeders ram each other. I personally think it makes things seem more realistic. And they do stand around (on rare occasions from my experience) and just stare away. However this is easily remedied when you ask them to move out or follow you. But give a bot a break, they can friggin bring AT ATs down with harpoon cables for crying out loud. That is quite an accomplishement when you compare it to anything that BF1942 bots could ever do.

Also...I counted on Hoth and there are 50 players (49 bots and me) playing at once. That is AWESOME when you think about the fact that there can be so many bots doing so many complicated things at once and having no lag at all on my x-box).

Online play: I haven't tried this yet but since they gave each x-box copy a free 2 month trial to x-box live, I am thinking of giving it a try soon.

Replayability: I personally think this game has tons of replay value (even in SP). I played all afternoon yesterday and never once got bored. I haven't even tried all of the maps yet (there are TONS of them it seems).

So yeah, BUY THIS GAME IF YOU LIKE STAR WARS AT ALL! IT IS WORTH IT!

IGN and all of the other haters can shove it as far as I'm concerned. Noobs.

just my little addition.

The server browser stinks.

You cannot even enter the ip of a favourite server, you cannot even create favourites.

Game seems good but i have a feeling the novelty will soon wear off, a la BFV.

And why no CTF mode for variety, I might be biased there as i belong to a CTF clan, but it should really have been added, I hope the modders might knock something up.

And the server controls suck more than a big bag of sucky stuff (you can't even kick idiots)

XFire Solves many of those server/friends/IP problems but yes those are major lackings of the game.

First, if you haven't played a Battlefield game, you should try one. It's great fun for everyone. Simple yet competitive. A newb can have an impact and have fun and experts can still own and win based on skill. Can continuously dick around if you feel like it. Multiple play styles supported. Battlefront continues this trend well.

Gameplay: 9. Truly, nothing better. Just fraggin team-style. Fits all play styles, intuitive, straight-forward. Only reason not a 10 because of lack of game modes. Maps are too small and lack variation but overall well designed.

Sound: 8. Typical StarWars music, can't go wrong. Lack of in-game strategical/tactical sounds. Good sounds insofar as shots/attacks and such to point you (with a little EAX) to where the battle is happening.

Interface: 4. Nothing special. Largely garbage. Decent options but no console, horrible server browser, built for consoles and not for PC. Detracts from gameplay experience. Excessive loading (on start, before match, after match).

Singleplayer: 8. Very good. Competitive AI, good difficulty level disparity. Teaches aspects of the game without boring tutorials. Reflects the fun, open-ended play of the engine. If you don't focus on objective you will lose.

Multiplayer: 8. Network/connectivity is huge problem. Lack of server control will kill community. But these are peripheral issues. The gameplay is fantastic. Relatively balanced, open-ended and competitive while still being enjoyable. Each class is viable and has a role. Intuitive play with a few hard things to learn (orbital strike, use of mortars/droids could be simpler to use). Typical Battlefield.

Have been playing instead of studying and I love it. Very fun. Good balanced/straightforward gameplay. Can't wait to have some free time and find some servers to play on. Just played on one and there weren't many people and the teams were stacked so we just romped in our Old Republic lumbering tanks. Snipers are nice. Pretty challenging and fun singleplayer too.

Gripes: Loading takes too long. Hard to get on servers at the moment. Horrible server browser.

7.5/10 for now. 8/10 if multiplay/server connectivity gets improved.

I posted this message in another thread and then read this one so I posted it here..... thought it might be useful.

Well.... this game from a PC gamer ONLY standpoint is just not that great. If all you know is Console games then it has to be terrific. But there are SO many things missing from the PC vantage point.

Im NOT saying its not fun.... but I can tell it was made mainly for the console players in mind. I see this mainly in fine tuning controls.... and saving preferences. The folks that would understand this are the ones that play Battlefield 1942.

As far as the gameplay..... its OK..... I HATE... I said I HATE those damn bots! They ruin it for me.

The maps are far to small......

The vehicles react oddly and the flying ones WOULD be nice if we had larger maps!

The terrain is bland. In BF:1942 there is just more "stuff" to make it interesting.

The balance issue is also a big problem. But I feel that will be resolved quickly.... like BF:1942 with a few patches.

I hate to say this ESPECIALLY after spending $45 on it, but this was built as a console game.... and one that needs one BIG patch... and more maps that are larger. Plus a MUCH needed over-haul of the Server Selection Screen!!!!

Im sad. Someone hold me :p

well this is my first time using live and i guess this is nt the best game to try it out on, i like the game very much but i am dissapointed in the online play. it lags alot and if the host quicks your game is over ,whats up with that?well i love the single player mode and thats all i care about see ya later

Ok I have played through all the maps and here is my review:

Graphics-

The grapchics and textures on Xbox are beautiful. Though sometimes when I respawn it is all fuzzy around my character but fixes itself instanly. I give the graphics a 9/10

Gameplay -

The gameplay is very good and it is very fun to blow someone up and watch them fly away. Gameplay gets a perfect 10/10

Overall -

Overall, this game is the best game I have ever played and I reward it a 9.9.(hehe as I said in one other post.

Well, After all the hype of the game and the enhanced video on TV made me what to buy the game. But after installing the game, setting up a server, and then playing with friends online, I really can say this really is disappointed in the whole game.

1) The dedicated server setup is too simplistic, you can not even put the configuration GUI in the background on the server or even close it (when you do it kills the server). Or is there a Linux version for us Linux server people.

2) No console or remote console controls, no map timers, etc. No real customization or configuration variables to improve server settings. No way to manage obnoxious and abusive players. No configurable ports to allow for multiple servers on a machine.

3) When trying to select at server, sluggish response of the browser, end up select the wrong server to join. Once you are in you cant even tell which server you are connected too.

4) Graphics are really disappointing, expecting the detail and physics of UT2004 Onslaught game but getting the feel of Dark Forces II game. Jedi Knight II: JO has more map detail and better physics than this game. The star-fighters were flying way too slow as they strafed and dogfight. (Pandemic please pick up a copy of Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Unreal Tournament 2004 to see where you can improve). I know that maps are larger and there are more AI bots, but the game details and physics should not suffer because of AI resources needed.

5) The network connection really needs works, one tooo many communication ports. This really makes it hard for the non-network oriented people to configure their firewall (network expert here). You have twice as many ports and port ranges for the game and this does even include any remote administration through HTTP or RCON..

6) Where is the VOICE COM advertised? No where in manual or online FAQ is it explained how to use the built in VoIP communication.

All I can say is I am not recommending this game to my friends, since it seems to be a step back in time in gaming technology.

Pandemic needs to take some lessons from Activision, Atari, Raven, and others.

Bruce Crawford

pebbles@bedrock-jk.net

http://www.bedrock-jk.net

http://www.bedrock-jk.net/utstats

Admin for :

Bedrock-JK: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast server

Bedrock-UT: Unreal Tournament 2004 servers DM/ONS

Bedrock-BF: Star Wars Battlefront ( for what it is worth)

Bedrock-Voice servers (VoIP chat)

Give it some time. Yeah they pushed it out the door a little fast :rolleyes: . Would if everyone decided to give up on BF42 because of the issues it had when it started out? I dont know why this is such a big surprise to everyone. Did they expect the game to come out perfect? If it did Pandemic would be billionaire developers. Not even Gates could pull that off.

I do agree with you on the 1st person view. :barf:

Really though this is a 3rd person shooter. I still am sticking to my guns on this game.

BTW they did indicate that Voice Chat was taken off at the last minute. You could imagine the problems they would have with that on top of the multiplayer stuff.

Well, After all the hype of the game and the enhanced video on TV made me what to buy the game. But after installing the game, setting up a server, and then playing with friends online, I really can say this really is disappointed in the whole game.

I doubt they enhanced it. It was probably just Xbox footage.

Is not that i hate it, i expected more. If you ever play the other games you would umderstand the why I feel this way.

The game could have had the market on FPS team gaming, but is pissed off all Server admins. I was spoiled with the Graphics of UT2004, FarCry and others new games. The Skins details are lacking, map details are lacking. You cant even be a Jedi knight on the battle field with force powers in the clone wars, WHAT IS UP WITH THAT, that would have been what I was looking for special in a STAR WARS battle game base in episode II-III.

Well, i probably will still play the game, but it falls short as my favorite game to play.

[iLB]Pebbles

pebbles@bedrock-jk.net

http://www.bedrock-jk.net

http://www.bedrock-jk.net/utstats

Admin for :

Bedrock-JK: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast server

Bedrock-UT: Unreal Tournament 2004 servers DM/ONS

Bedrock-BF: Star Wars Battlefront ( for what it is worth)

Bedrock-Voice servers (VoIP chat)

Archived