1. 1. RATE IT!BOOYAH!

• 90-100%
    • 70-80%
    • 50-60%
    • 30-40%
    • 10-20%
    • 0-9%

Nicely put.

Unfortunately there seems to be too many people that can't see the woods for the trees, anything derogatory said against anything starwars has them up in arms.

The reason bf1942 had people stick with it was because at tahat point in time there was nothing else like it, and surely if pandemic had spent anytime playing the bf series they should have improved some aspects of their game. At the moment there is nothing from a gameplay point of view, either single or multiplayer, that beats BF1942, Which is very poor considering they've had.... what..... two years to improve things.

Take off the starwars branded rose tinted glasses. I really hope this game gets better, it needs to or it will die faster then BFV.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i concur on the lack of originality and no added gameplay.

there is alot of debate going on between bf1942 and swbf, but we should really be debating between the starwars mod already existing on the bf1942 engine and swb. but the thread would probably get locked. so heres my thoughts on the game swb......

ok lets start off by saying yes this game looks pretty darn cool indeed. but as you go deeper into the game, you start to notice things arent exactly polished and soon you start to wonder how this game made it out of beta testing. for starters, at least 50% of the people who have bought this game for multiplayer, cant even play multiplayer, as there seems to be a bug which locks your fps rate to only 30 on any multi level no matter what system you have. all this aside i am sure this can be fixed with a patch.

but the problems dont end there........the only decent player class is the normal trooper.

sniping is the worst in battlefront. it is too fast paced a game to snipe. rocket launchers are useless. the dark troopers are lame cause their shotgun sucks and the jetpack is too limited. the clone jetpack dudes get more airtime(can hover longer) and have a better gun. anyway, the pistols on every class sucks. really bad. no point using a pistol they r so weak and inacurate. the pilot class is able to repair his ship while he is flying, without pressing any button to repair making some pilots indestructable. can anyone else see how wrong this is? dont even start talkin about flying, as even if the controls were nice, the maps are too small and u find yourself circling spawn points really slowly just so u dont fly off the map. also you can not do barrel rolls in aircraft? i mean, wtf? worst flying vehicles ever!!!! its like they ported everything from the console over, including the controls.

the games graphics are not bad but there is absolutely no gameplay balance. the flags are way too close together on some levels and is just a stream of lasers going from one flag to the other(though this can sometimes look real pretty), with no option of advancing forward into the enemy lasers.

the physics are laughable, and really lamely exagerated. you shoot the ground with a big cannon and anyone around the blast will go flying. a bit over the top there in my book.

Though if you love starwars, you will love the whole look and feel, at least while i was playing the single player i liked the details of each map like the sarlaac pitt actually able to pick guys up and swallow em, and ewoks running around on endor.

single player isnt too bad and i enjoyed unlocking all the cut scenes from the movie. the only bad thing about single is stupid bots, but at least the bots near you or in the action do actually help you and arent too bad. it seems to be all the other bots left at bases and nowhere near the action just seem to go around in circles or do lame things.

the sound is amazing (best thing about the game imo) and really sounds like you are are in the middle of a famous starwars battle. the infantry battles in the close quarters corridoors on bespin was so much fun, i almost forgot about how crap the rest of the game was.....almost.

What's all this talk about "Star Wars brand rose-tinted glasses" and "not seeing the woods for the trees" and all that? Just because someone likes this game, it doesn't mean that they have been "duped" into liking it or anything. "This is an awesome Star Wars Battle action game" is just as valid of an opinion as "Wow, they really dropped the ball on this dissapointing game."

My other favorite thing people say is "Well if you take the 'Star Wars' out of Battlefront you have a really mediocre at best game." WHA?!?! Take the Star Wars out of STAR WARS Battlefront? Yeah, and if you took the "Mortal" out of Mortal Kombat you might as well have a Happy Tree Folk fighting game. The background and setting of a game is just as important to the feel of it as the gameplay, and this game, IMO, does an excellent job of creating the Star Wars feel.

My old Battlefield 1942 clan is called "Fix the Game," because BF1942 was broken beyond belief when it came out. SWBF has its share of problems, too, but I think it as at least as good, if not better than BF1942 when it first came out (the XBOX version of SWBF, anyway).

Yeah, there are problems with laggy XBOX servers, but those can be solved by lowering the number of players to 14 or so, and turning off or reducing the AI.

Overall, the game is rolicking good fun. There are some incredibly maps, and I haven't even played all of them yet. The Rhenvar Citadel has lots of great opportunities for strategy, not to mention the Dark Trooper-friendly layout. Yavin Temple is another winner, particularly when you have to hold the bridge spawn from waves of oncoming enemies -- great stuff.

Ok, I respect that you actually listed things you didn't like about this game instead of just calling it a knockoff and leaving it at. But I'd like to discuss your points about what makes this game so bad. I'm not flaming or anything, just giving my opinions for the sake of discussion and getting another point of view out there.

1. 50% of people that bought this for multiplayer can't play multiplayer.

That's an exagerration and I think we all know that. It might not be as easy to get into a MP game as people would like, but the devs have already said they are working on that.

2. Sniping is the worst in this game.

The slow speed that infantry units move in this game make sniping very possible in most situations. As a matter of fact, I've read people complain of just the opposite, that sniping is TOO powerful in this game. Go figure.

3. Rocket launchers are useless.

How else do you plan to take out vehicles, which can own the field if not kept in check. And you could say "just go in a vehicle yourself", but they are not always available and you can't capture spawn points from inside them.

4. The dark troopers are lame cause their shotgun sucks and the jetpack is too limited.

This class has ALOT of potential. Their rocket jumps can take them great distances at a time, and if you are good, you can land in between a group of guys and take a good number of them out before they take you out, and that means alot in a game that's based on attrition.

5. The pistols on every class sucks.

That's why it's the OTHER primary weapon for most classes. Something for the heavy weapons guy to switch to if he's confronted with a sudden man on man fight.

6. The pilot class is able to repair his ship while he is flying, without pressing any button to repair making some pilots indestructable. can anyone else see how wrong this is?

There's nothing wrong with that IMO. It makes it so that the pilot is actually the guy you would pick to PILOT. And he balances out because he has little offensive capability by himself on the battlefield, and besides, the repairing isn't all that much. Also, all sides have pilots, so where's the imbalance in that?

7. Worst flying vehicles ever!!!!

I'm sure that with enough practice you could become proficient with them, which is how it should be, since they can be really powerful.

I know that many were expecting more of a BF1942 / Star Wars theme with this game, and I guess that it is Kinda like that. In fact, I believe that this game was initially touted as such.

This game beats the hell out of the BF1942 Star Wars Mod, but it did not live up to my expectations.

You drop $50 for a game nowadays, you expect a bit more.

BF1942 rocked right out of the box. Now, 2 years later, it is still one of the standards that many use to compare fps. Are we spoiled? Indeed.....but....$50 bucks is $50 bucks. This feels more like a $29.95 game.

A few patches, bigger maps and better joystick support will make this game better.

:mad:

No matter what you say, I like it. The corridor fights in Cloud city for example are so fun.

Ground vehicles are also very nice. Though I'am not a very big fan of the republic tank, most vehicles are exactly like the movies in my opinion (AT-ST walking animation is excellent). You might consider them overpowered, but that's how they are in star wars. I know this makes a combination of vehicles and infantry in one map a lot more difficult then in battlefield, but I think Pandemic did a great job at this.

Originally posted by JediCrow

My other favorite thing people say is "Well if you take the 'Star Wars' out of Battlefront you have a really mediocre at best game." WHA?!?!

I haven't gotten this myself, but the question remains, if this game had not been based on Star Wars, how would people compare it to the other mainstays?

Originally posted by Decepticon

i concur on the lack of originality and no added gameplay.

there is alot of debate going on between bf1942 and swbf, but we should really be debating between the starwars mod already existing on the bf1942 engine and swb. but the thread would probably get locked. so heres my thoughts on the game swb......

ok lets start off by saying yes this game looks pretty darn cool indeed. but as you go deeper into the game, you start to notice things arent exactly polished and soon you start to wonder how this game made it out of beta testing. for starters, at least 50% of the people who have bought this game for multiplayer, cant even play multiplayer, as there seems to be a bug which locks your fps rate to only 30 on any multi level no matter what system you have. all this aside i am sure this can be fixed with a patch.

but the problems dont end there........the only decent player class is the normal trooper.

sniping is the worst in battlefront. it is too fast paced a game to snipe. rocket launchers are useless. the dark troopers are lame cause their shotgun sucks and the jetpack is too limited. the clone jetpack dudes get more airtime(can hover longer) and have a better gun. anyway, the pistols on every class sucks. really bad. no point using a pistol they r so weak and inacurate. the pilot class is able to repair his ship while he is flying, without pressing any button to repair making some pilots indestructable. can anyone else see how wrong this is? dont even start talkin about flying, as even if the controls were nice, the maps are too small and u find yourself circling spawn points really slowly just so u dont fly off the map. also you can not do barrel rolls in aircraft? i mean, wtf? worst flying vehicles ever!!!! its like they ported everything from the console over, including the controls.

the games graphics are not bad but there is absolutely no gameplay balance. the flags are way too close together on some levels and is just a stream of lasers going from one flag to the other(though this can sometimes look real pretty), with no option of advancing forward into the enemy lasers.

the physics are laughable, and really lamely exagerated. you shoot the ground with a big cannon and anyone around the blast will go flying. a bit over the top there in my book.

Though if you love starwars, you will love the whole look and feel, at least while i was playing the single player i liked the details of each map like the sarlaac pitt actually able to pick guys up and swallow em, and ewoks running around on endor.

single player isnt too bad and i enjoyed unlocking all the cut scenes from the movie. the only bad thing about single is stupid bots, but at least the bots near you or in the action do actually help you and arent too bad. it seems to be all the other bots left at bases and nowhere near the action just seem to go around in circles or do lame things.

the sound is amazing (best thing about the game imo) and really sounds like you are are in the middle of a famous starwars battle. the infantry battles in the close quarters corridoors on bespin was so much fun, i almost forgot about how crap the rest of the game was.....almost.

Thank you so much for expressing my feelings so accurately. I wish I could get my money back, that's all I have to say.

If you think this you obviously haven't played the game enough. It's the weakest class and largely worthless except for your staying power, having tons of ammo. A trooper of equal skill will get killed by any other class but the pilot.

The pistol is highly effective in close range for any class (ameliorating any benefit the normal trooper has) and the rocket launcher/jump troop is probably the most overpowered.

Joystick support? Who can use a joystick in an FPS? Boggles the mind.

Originally posted by avonnied

First off i have to say the game is by far much better than the reviewer at IGN made it sound.

As a slight annoyance i haven't been able to figure out what the Perspective key does. i was hoping for external vehicle views but no go.

on the PC version at least, you can get external vehicle (third person) views. I prefer the in-cockpit view, so I only use it when on foot.

Originally posted by The_Preacher

right i have woken back up and ready to reply.

First off, Flying a vehicle on PC. its my worst gripe with the game as its terrible on PC, and heres why.

(i have my sensitivty on 8 out of 10 btw)

say you want to do a full U turn left. ok drag your mouse to your left, then put your mouse back to the other side of the mouse mat, and drag left again, then drag it to the left again, then reposition the mouse, drag it to the left again, then reposition your mouse. Repeat until U turn is completed.

try using the A and D keys to turn your vehicle. they work much better than the mouse.

Originally posted by Iceman_IX

Joystick support? Who can use a joystick in an FPS? Boggles the mind.

Your a moron. plain and simple. youve heard of a game called bf1942 right? thats only the biggest fps game in the world, and i use a joystick in nearly every vehicle i jump into. so why cant it be the same with starwars? plus this isnt a fps game. it is mostly a 3rd person shooter but it depends how you play the game. but it wouldnt matter what view u go in, its nice to ride in an xwing and control it with a joystick, but as there is no rudder for any of the air vehicles it is kinda pointless going on about joysticks now isnt it? maybe if the games flight physics didnt suck so bad.

sucks worse if u live in australia. i paid 90 bucks for my copy!!!! though 20 bucks american would be not even 40 aussie dollars so you wouldve had yourself a deal my friend!! pity of our distance between countries or i would ride my pushbike over and yarn about how starwars used to be cool.

Six of us got copies (PC) last night and had a mini-LAN. Star Wars Battlefront completely blew me away!

The graphics and scenery are truly amazing. The first battle I tried was Geonosis and I was simply awestruck!

During the game, everyone kept uttering phrases of amazement inbetween blaster fire.

One could just stand and watch the incredible battles unfolding infront of your eyes. Pandemic have done an amazing job capturing the franchise. The music is top notch and thankfully, my best bud Nick Peck has included authentic Kiwi voices for the Clone Troopers.

I wont have broadband here till Christmas, but I can thankfully say that the SP / LAN aspect has been captured perfectly.

There is mention of unlockable bonuses in this game too. I look forward to obtaining them.

My single gripe is with the "Hero" NPC characters. It doesnt look like they can be destroyed, which makes it a little annoying. Thankfully, there is an option to switch them off.

Also, where is MIC support? Has it been left out?

Either way, Pandemic, we love you for what you've done. Hopefully you'll be able to release a patch all the bitchers can apply on themselves to be able to pull their heads out of their asses.

;)

Best Wishes from a VERY satisfied 'customer'.

You are in for SO much fun!

The experience is so epic! Prepare to be immersed!!! When it comes to the AI, there are options ingame to change the difficulty settings of the AI. Ive got it on Normal and the AI are exceptional! They really flow well as a team. There's nothing better than securing a crucial platform on Kamino ahead of the group, and then turning around to see a group of fellow Clone Troopers quickly approach to cover you at every angle and hold the area from any Seperatist threats.

Speaking of AI: At Bespin, I even 'teamed up' alongside Vader to capture the last two CPs. He waited for me to catch up (I was a Sniper Scout) to him, and then we both went through the remaining Rebels protecting the corridors like Katana through cheese.

Everyone else was in the centre which was where the main fight was going on between each other along with the AI bots, so its was a special moment between me and the Imperial Hero ;)

I could keep going on and on, but ill leave you with one last aspect of the game:

On some screenshots in the top right hand corner you'll notice a red energy bar. This is how much life the enemy you are attacking has; be they infantry or even a Hailfire droid. This is an excellent tool to help you evaluate your attacks against the enemy. This way, you can calculate whether you have the ammo (or capability) to take down a vehicle etc..

Im happy just knowing the fun instore for you all!

Ciao

- Steve

Originally posted by MaximumMayhem

You are in for SO much fun!

Speaking of AI: At Bespin, I even 'teamed up' alongside Vader to capture the last two CPs. He waited for me to catch up (I was a Sniper Scout) to him, and then we both went through the remaining Rebels protecting the corridors like Katana through cheese.

oh so hes a very friendly dude :)

Archived