1. 1. RATE IT!BOOYAH!

• 90-100%
    • 70-80%
    • 50-60%
    • 30-40%
    • 10-20%
    • 0-9%

My Pre-order arrived 1 hour ago, and I love it :D

Yes, it has a few slight problems, which can be easily fixed. It seems to capture the feeling of Star Wars battles.

I ordered it from sendit.com over a month ago at the unbelievable price of £17.99 and it`s worth every penny. I would have gladly paid the the full price for this great game :)

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't for the life of me understand how you like having an invincible 'bot at your side. To me it sounds extremely unbalancing...

As for the UI: I found it extremely "cartoonish". And you shouldn't know how much health the enemy has unless you're a medic or something.

And why can pilots do all the mechanic work? They're pilots, not mechanics...

*look at you moaners, you know who you are!*

Moaners as in people who don't think the game is 100% perfect, or...?

SWBF maybe has potential, but there isn't much of it.

Originally posted by Dagobahn Eagle

I can't for the life of me understand how you like having an invincible 'bot at your side. To me it sounds extremely unbalancing...

As for the UI: I found it extremely "cartoonish". And you shouldn't know how much health the enemy has unless you're a medic or something.

And why can pilots do all the mechanic work? They're pilots, not mechanics...

Moaners as in people who don't think the game is 100% perfect, or...?

SWBF maybe has potential, but there isn't much of it.

Show us a game that is "Perfect"

I am enjoying this game more and more as I play. Its taking up all of my gametime now and I discover new things everytime I play, even if it is in single player. Sure the game has a few issues, all games do. But I guess I'm not that picky when it comes to some of the issues people are complaining about.

Action in every map, some I enjoy alot more than others... This game is very well done.. I'm putting together a small, ingame action movie that I should posted on a file hosting site soon. Staty tuned!

Well I bought the game. I can honestly say that I love it! I am not sure what all the other peeps are upset at. The graphics are amazing and the gameplay is fun. Whats even better is that you dont really need to depend on multiplayer. You can have just as much fun as in the single player mode. Perhaps some people need to update their graphics card and system. No complaints here.

I haven't played SWBF in multiplayer. Unfortunately, my internet connection is still dial up (will be getting DSL soon). I recently moved into a new neighborhood that's in an area where DSL/cable is just now getting around here. At any rate, I use to buy games ALL the time just for multiplayer. I quit doing that because multiplayer sometimes ruin it for the whole game. Especially if you move and lose you high speed internet connetion then they are good for nothing because you can't play hlfe the games you have. Enjoy the game because it is Star Wars and you are a Star Wars fan. ;)

the only reason i bought it is because im a starwars fan. and if anything being a starwars fan, i should return this game because it doesnt have that starwars feel most starwars game have.

i cant put my finger on it, but it just doesnt feel like starwars. the only maps i feel like i am in the movies are maybe endor and bespin. the fact is, if this game didnt have starwars on the box, it would be on the bottom of the gamebin for 10 bucks with Breed. anyone remember breed? halo killer my ass. now that was a game stuffed up by the publisher! im not even getting into that one, shoosh.

After playing for a few days I wanted to mention some of the things that I thought were lacking. Especially in Multi-Player mode.

1) The server interface needs work. It would help with the aggravation factor if the server list wasn't constantly updating. For instance, once you attempt to join a server and recieve a "server full" message and click ok, it goes right back into refresshing the entire list. This should only happen if a player chooses to refresh the list.

2) There is no favorites list.

3) The IN/MAX tab is not always accurate.

4) I found that when I play while logged into Game Spy, I have had some Battfront.exe crashes. I have also had problems with joining the session. Where after changing maps, I time out and return to the server list. I have not had this problem as long as I am not logged into Game Spy.

5) The server information cannot be found while in game.

6) I have not been able to use the direct connect feature successfuly. Don't know why.

7) The invert axis for the mouse/keyboard combo is confusing to me. I want to invert the axis of my mouse while in aircraft. How ever it only changes it while in infantry mode. Am i missing something here? Please help.

There were a lot of other things I want to right but I am pressed for time right now. Will put some more up later.

If these problems I have mentioned are due to my error, I would appreciate the heads up.

overall I am pretty satisfied with the game. With the exception of spawn camping patrol points. But hey, thats the nature of online FSP games.

After playing for a few days I wanted to mention some of the things that I thought were lacking. Especially in Multi-Player mode.

1) The server interface needs work. It would help with the aggravation factor if the server list wasn't constantly updating. For instance, once you attempt to join a server and recieve a "server full" message and click ok, it goes right back into refresshing the entire list. This should only happen if a player chooses to refresh the list.

2) There is no favorites list.

3) The IN/MAX tab is not always accurate.

4) I found that when I play while logged into Game Spy, I have had some Battfront.exe crashes. I have also had problems with joining the session. Where after changing maps, I time out and return to the server list. I have not had this problem as long as I am not logged into Game Spy.

5) The server information cannot be found while in game.

6) I have not been able to use the direct connect feature successfuly. Don't know why.

7) The invert axis for the mouse/keyboard combo is confusing to me. I want to invert the axis of my mouse while in aircraft. How ever it only changes it while in infantry mode. Am i missing something here? Please help.

There were a lot of other things I want to right but I am pressed for time right now. Will put some more up later.

If these problems I have mentioned are due to my error, I would appreciate the heads up.

overall I am pretty satisfied with the game. With the exception of spawn camping patrol points. But hey, thats the nature of online FSP games.

Originally posted by Decepticon

the only reason i bought it is because im a starwars fan. and if anything being a starwars fan, i should return this game because it doesnt have that starwars feel most starwars game have.

i cant put my finger on it, but it just doesnt feel like starwars. the only maps i feel like i am in the movies are maybe endor and bespin. the fact is, if this game didnt have starwars on the box, it would be on the bottom of the gamebin for 10 bucks with Breed. anyone remember breed? halo killer my ass. now that was a game stuffed up by the publisher! im not even getting into that one, shoosh.

HAHAHAHAHA OMG!!!!!

Ive played the PC game for a few hours now and being an old school gamer I must say im extremely disappointed , I cant help thinking what the hell Pandemic were trying to achieve here. The modeling is so amateurish its almost laughable for todays gaming standards. Ive seen games that look better and are 5 years old. The ground textures are also so bad its like looking at blurry shrink wrap. Games like Jedi Outcast have better modeling/decals.

The vehicles as people have stated before are almost impossible to play/fly in the end I just gave up.

The sound is the only part of the game that deserves a commendation, although I keep getting clicking and popping sounds with my audigy 2 zs which is so annoying that I cant play for too long. Ive tried reinstalling the drivers etc but nothing works. Stopping Eax mode or any other mode doesnt remove it.

The AI is so ridiclous at times and makes me laugh and what the hell is the unkiillable bots all about. I spent one entire map trying to avoid darth vader to the point of total frustration.

I could go on about balance issues but it would take up an entire page. So in a nutshell this is a very amateurish release by Pandemic. If i was a prgramer at Pandemic I wouldnt be proud of this release at all. I hope that Pandemic will fix the problems in new patches to get me back playing it again.

Just my opinion for what its worth.

SP mini review

the game is ace, just got it.

For graphics, you may have seen they arent ace, but in battle, you don't notice at all. The actions is intense, and its all very balanced. (vehicles arent overempowered as they cant capture spots and surrounded easily)

I havent tried MP much im busy with SP, but the menus are ace, controls are ok, (no shooting while jumping is IMO positive, as you cant bunnyhop)

There's a few things to fix, sure, but they did an ace job if you take the SP alone

If you read somewhere else the AI varies,, you're right. In close battle its very very deadly (kasshyyk, 12-12 :| the shame...) but on distance they're very easy. They're good on taking out vehicles by surrounding it and throwing nades.

The heroes, well.. I saw dooku standing in the bespin halls, against a wall. Doing nothing. And windu was at our spot just reflicting our nades with a saber. This could be better with push.

But then again, with rebels i was going from spawn to spawn and luke joined me. Going to a spawn, take in a good position, move to next spawn after capture. Luke did it well and had the same idea as i did, was fun. Heroes should battle each other though.

"oh noes, get it for console cause it feels like it"

It doesn't feel like "made for console" at all. I'm happy i got it for pc because of extra files and programs(xfire, teamspeak) and such. Had it been released alone for pc, i wouldnt have felt different.

As for the SP, looking for intense battle? Get the game. Theed (2nd map) took me 3 times to win, was very intense

Originally posted by Major Kusinagi

At the top of the controll menu, you can choose between Infantry, vehicle and starfighter setting ;) There you can reverse the axis.

BTW: I like this Game - don't know what some people where expecting, but i am surprised in positiv way. this game definitely rocks :)

But i am looking for a patch dealing with the server problems.

mtfbwy

Pete

1) The server interface needs work. It would help with the aggravation factor if the server list wasn't constantly updating. For instance, once you attempt to join a server and recieve a "server full" message and click ok, it goes right back into refresshing the entire list. This should only happen if a player chooses to refresh the list.[/b]

you're too "impatient". there's a *huge" list of servers and it takes a while to fully populate. Once it does, the servers don't refresh quite as much and it's much easier to select and join one.

If you see a server pop up you like the second after the list starts coming in, yea it'll be tough to click on. But I had the same problem when I used to play Quake...

Right, here's my comments on the PC version:

PROS

It's Star Wars.

The graphics are OK (but not great).

The infantry controls for BF1942 and BF:V were good and they haven't changed much.

CONS

The lack of intro and ugly menus make it look and feel like a half-finished beta.

The server menu needs work (basically, have the options of those in BF 1942 and BF:V).

The multiplayer FPS cap needs sorting - preferably last month.

The maps are WAY too small for any kind of lasting gameplay or to be even remotely realistic, particulary Hoth.

The graphics, although decent, seem only marginally better than Xbox graphics - not what you want on a good, modern PC with a decent graphics card (and, yes, that is with everything on full).

The controls for air units needs to be sorted so you can actually fly effectively with keyboard and mouse.

Perhaps this will solve itself given time (due to high bandwith dedicated servers coming online), but there is also major lag and connection problems. This happens in no other game I play online (and that is quite a few).

My only other comment is really subjective - it just seemed way too arcadey for me. That's fine if you basically want an Unreal Tournament style game where it's 'if it moves, shoot it, if it doesn't, shoot it anyway', but this is supposed to be, well, basically, BF 1942 with a Star Wars theme. In BF 1942, you had to use teamwork and tactics, or, at least, if your side didn't and the other side did, you got your ass handed to you on a plate. In SW:BF, it seems to me that using teamwork and tactics gives you an edge, but it is eminently possible to still be defeated by the other side when all they do is run towards the nearest control point they don't already have, shooting wildly as they go as soon as they spawn.

In short, I was really disappointed with this as it had the potential to be great, but seemingly ended up as a rushed, half-finished game that seems in all ways bar one (graphics) inferior to the original BF 1942, which it tries to emulate and fails. My only hope is that the numerous failings are fixed in subsequent patches and/or player-made mods.

EDIT: Since writing the above, have started trying to complete all the single player modes. I've gotten a significant chunk of the way through without losing a single battle, and finding it easy as hell. That's on Hard difficulty, so lack of longevity of the single-player can be added under cons.

Originally posted by Zmidponk2

Right, here's my comments on the PC version:

PROS

The lack of intro and ugly menus make it look and feel like a half-finished beta.

The maps are WAY too small for any kind of lasting gameplay or to be even remotely realistic, particulary Hoth.

The menu is awesome !!!!! How can one not like the menu ? It looks almost exactly like the map of the Geonosis battle that Dooku uses in the end of AOTC.

Big maps suck , like in bf1942 you had to walk for minutes on end just to get to the sight of the battle ,and after that ,the battle was in like this tiny section of the map with the rest of the map being unused . Battlefront is better with the small maps because they cover the entier battlefield and it makes it seem more intense than being in this one tiny spot on the map .

Hoth was pretty good but not accurate ,it could have been a little better . Like have the at ats come head facing echo base ,it shouldnt slant diagonally to the left like that . That was my problem with Hoth ,otherwise it was great . :-)

Originally posted by reelguy227

The menu is awesome !!!!! How can one not like the menu ? It looks almost exactly like the map of the Geonosis battle that Dooku uses in the end of AOTC.

Because it looks more like the kind of thing you get in a third-rate, no budget rushed clone of a better game that comes out on the PS2 at £9.99, or a basic, unfinished menu that you occassionally get on betas of games.

Big maps suck , like in bf1942 you had to walk for minutes on end just to get to the sight of the battle ,and after that ,the battle was in like this tiny section of the map with the rest of the map being unused . Battlefront is better with the small maps because they cover the entier battlefield and it makes it seem more intense than being in this one tiny spot on the map .

I play BF1942 fairly extensively. That simply does not happen, in my experience. If you have to 'walk for minutes to get to the battle', you simply chose the wrong spawn point. If there isn't one close to the area or areas where the action currently is, there's one with a vehicle that will allow you to get there quickly, and perhaps even better equipped to fight.

Big maps are good as it allows such things as artillery support and gives you the space to actually use tactics. In SW:BF, long range artillery simply doesn't exist and you don't have the space to try to use many tactics. Additionally, big maps make the game harder and more challenging, as you never know which control point the enemy are going to push for next, and it also allows them to do things like set up diversionary attacks at one control point whilst a small force, or even a single guy, sneaks in to 'steal' another control point elsewhere. In SW:BF, the maps are simply too small to try things like this. Practically the only tactic available to use is 'all-out assault'. The only thing you can do tactically is focus it on one control point at a time.

I’m going to try to post some constructive criticism of this poor, sad excuse for an MP game in the hopes that someone will read it and take it to heart. I expect that all the 12 year olds will go randomly insane after I post this, but at least that means someone somewhere taught them how to read.

I have been a rabid player of BF1942 since it came out and of all its mods. I suppose that I was looking for this game to be in the same league with that one but perhaps the dev team has been locked in cubicles for so long that they haven’t played an online game since long, long ago. This one is so far behind the curve that I think I will take it to EB and sell it so it stays far, far away from me. I simply cannot believe all the things that are missing from this game that completely and utterly disappointed me in the first 10 minutes

1. The game would not install. 2 hours to get this game onto my hard drive. I followed the directions (that involved copying the CD’s onto my drive so they would load) but this sort of thing hasn’t happened to me since windows 95. Such a poor start from the gate.

2. I have to login to gamespy or bypass this screen to get to a server list? I think Gamespy is a plague anyway offering nothing that most ingame servers provide, who is harvesting info from me by my logging onto this? Leaderboard? How many cookies and spyware will that cost me?

3. I could not look at a server for long enough to read its stats before it was refreshed and pushed all over the place. Gamespy’s own review called this the Battlefront mini-game because it is such a bad interface. There are no filters in the server list. Have these devs never even heard of online games? Ridiculous.

4. Maps are so small that any flying vehicle will fly off the edge of the map in what, 20 seconds? I should get a stop watch and clock it. How are we supposed to have dogfights in such a cramped space? And the altitude ceilings? Speeders are low altitude, but starfighters are supposed to be SPACEWORTHY. Why have they been kept so low to the ground? DARNIT I expected better from them.

5. LAG LAG LAG. I have a great cable connection, this morning pulled in a 600mb file at 300+k/s. download took 20 minutes. The map I was REALLY looking forward to was Hoth. Gonna lasso me some AT-AT’s. Let a teammate fly, I wanna shoot the arrows. 5 different servers I could not see out the back window well enough to do anything. I’m a pretty good gunner on BF1942’s B-17’s, never had these lag issues with that. Sad, sad, sad.

6. Infantile flight mechanics and piss-poor joystick support. Took me quite awhile to configure the joystick. Kept messing it up because I don’t need to have rudder support on the vehicle. Ok that’s alright. But what about speed controls? My bicycle has more than 3 speeds. I suppose the issue is that this game was designed for console and 5 year olds who want to fly a Tie fighter. It looks and smells like a console game. Great choice, it certainly just worked well for Deus Ex2 didn’t it? I guess someone is aiming for the lowest common denominator on these games now. Perhaps they should not use the esrb ratings on these but IQ ones instead. “If you are capable of driving a car on the freeway, these vehicles will bore you to sleep.”

7. Spawn camping flags. How naïve can devs be that they did not see this one coming? Low self-esteem 14 year old camps on top of op-teams last spawn point in tank while blowing 50% of the game’s players to kingdom come. What a great way to frustrate 50% of your players into playing another game. For heavens sake, LET THE VEHICLES TAKE THE SPAWN POINTS. There is this post campaign trying to shame people into stopping the practice of spawn camping. This is about as likely as either presidential candidate giving up their millionare trust funds and going to work at Wal-Mart. Change the game.

I have to give them credit for putting together a game that is certainly very rich eye-candy. The explosions are nice, the scenery is beautiful, and the vehicles are modeled prettily. Unfortunately the maps are mostly so small, that you don’t have that 10 seconds to look at them on your way to a flag.

So I don’t give the wrong impression, I am looking at my copies of xwing alliance, KOTOR, all 4 JK2 games, rogue squadron and 2 copies of SWG. One of the first games I bought for my PC was the xwing series. I spend 3-4 hours playing games, mostly online, every day. I Built the computer I’m writing this on and am about to rip it apart and make another one. I was looking for a new standard in gaming and should remember never to get my hopes up with Lucasarts and multiplayer games. XvsT was a disaster and SWG is a lot like watching the paint dry (but I still sorta like it.if I have nothing better to do). This game is a dud and a disappointment and the part that really gets me is that my complaints above are not fixable. The maps will not be getting any bigger, the ridiculous flight mechanics of seeing a y-wing make a pin point turn (or it will fly off the map) will not change and 14 year olds will continue to ruin this game for everyone because changing that would require too much trouble. Leave this game in the box and go back to playing your bf1942 mods. I’m sure Lucas will soon sue them to get them turned off anyway so have fun while you can.

I would agree with this post...and more.

It seems peoples views of SWBF are relative to

- how much of a SW fan you are

- how much of a SW games fan you are

- are you a console gamer

- do you play single player or MP

- do you play Battlefield

For SW fans and Consolers the game is pretty good if not great

For Single player types the game is good across all platforms (but wont have longevity)

For PC MP players (especially Battlefield Players) the gameplay is average and the net infrastructure (servers and browsers) is abysmal.

For this fan of Battlefield and StarWars I am torn...on one hand I love the StarWars aspects of the game, on the other (especially as a server admin) I find it one of the worst games ever put on the market.

My only hope is that they are listening to the PC players and at least bring this game up to 2002 standards (alhtough 2004 standards would be nice)...right now it is in the last century.

Archived