Home

Very Disappointed With The Game

I know I already place this in the other forum thread, but I believe it needs to be here

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136415

Well, After all the hype of the game and the enhanced video on TV made me what to buy the game. But after installing the game, setting up a server, and then playing with friends online, I really can say this really is disappointed in the whole game.

1) The dedicated server setup is too simplistic, you can not even put the configuration GUI in the background on the server or even close it (when you do it kills the server). Or is there a Linux version for us Linux server people.

2) No console or remote console controls, no map timers, etc. No real customization or configuration variables to improve server settings. No way to manage obnoxious and abusive players. No configurable ports to allow for multiple servers on a machine.

3) When trying to select at server, sluggish response of the browser, end up select the wrong server to join. Once you are in you cant even tell which server you are connected too.

4) Graphics are really disappointing, expecting the detail and physics of UT2004 Onslaught game but getting the feel of Dark Forces II game. Jedi Knight II: JO has more map detail and better physics than this game. The star-fighters were flying way too slow as they strafed and dogfight. (Pandemic please pick up a copy of Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Unreal Tournament 2004 to see where you can improve). I know that maps are larger and there are more AI bots, but the game details and physics should not suffer because of AI resources needed.

5) The network connection really needs works, one tooo many communication ports. This really makes it hard for the non-network oriented people to configure their firewall (network expert here). You have twice as many ports and port ranges for the game and this does even include any remote administration through HTTP or RCON..

6) Where is the VOICE COM advertised? No where in manual or online FAQ is it explained how to use the built in VoIP communication.

All I can say is I am not recommending this game to my friends, since it seems to be a step back in time in gaming technology.

Pandemic needs to take some lessons from Activision, Atari, Raven, and others.

Bruce Crawford

pebbles@bedrock-jk.net

http://www.bedrock-jk.net

http://www.bedrock-jk.net/utstats

Admin for :

Bedrock-JK: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast server

Bedrock-UT: Unreal Tournament 2004 servers DM/ONS

Bedrock-BF: Star Wars Battlefront ( for what it is worth)

Bedrock-Voice servers (VoIP chat)

Anybody who points to the graphics of UT2k4 as the pinnacle of the age needs a reality check.

While the graphics aren't stellar they are quite good. The feel of a hazy battlefield, not being able to make out enemy troops in the distance, and the detail of just about everything but guns is well done. The HUD is awful but when you get in a stationery gun on hoth, that looks "authentic."

It's Battlefield. You came in with totally the wrong expectations. They weren't looking to make anything new, as you seem to think. It's all about the game being fun.

Yes, the server browser, connectivity and entire system of joining/rejoining/changing maps is god-awful but that'll be fixed, for the most part. As well as admin controls.

And yeah some vehicles do move somewhat slow at times (but that's because people don't know how to drive them) but they DO run on repulsors... not jet engines. But I agree with you on that point.

All your major points they've pretty much said they are going to fix.

Iceman,

I never said that UT2004 was the pinacle, but the details on some of the maps do put the redering quality of the SWBF maps to shame. Details to rain drops,and dust falling is what I was talking about. And playing Onslaught mode, with vehicles and teams, the control and the physics really do make SWBF look it was made 4 years ago.

As for comparing to pinacle, FarCry details are setting High par. The detail in JKA also beats this game, with the skin details.

As for the detail of the AT-AT, Snowspeeders, and maps layout, I do like that part of the game. Some maps better than others(bespin and Hoth the best).

Well this was to be expected when the game was designed for console and pc at the same time... Performance and Video wise its made for console... pc version is suffering many problems because of this... Only hope that they will patch the pc version so it really shows what this game could be in pc specs.

I agree with you on the MP problems, but the rest no.

Graphic dissappointing? It's not the best, but it's giving the feel of Star Wars. Do you think the graphics of JO are better?! I played Jedi Academy, which have better graphics than Outcast, and on High settings the game looked very bad and my FPS was about 40 and i have Radeon 9800Pro! On Battlefront i playing with 6xAA and 16xAF and the game run smooth.

I am going to reserve judgement until the first patch comes out. --For all of you Pandemic proggers ghosting this board, a 6 little patches over the course of 6 months is a lot better than 1 big one in 6 months--

However, there are two unforgivable sins that will prevent me from rushing to buy the next title Pandemic releases.

First, on the outer backwall of the Cantina in Mos Eisley, some idiot painted a pipe on the wall texture. Thanks for the nostaliga, I haven't seen that level of graphics since ... DOOM? possibly Quake. What a Moron, find that ass and fire him.

Secondly, the interface seems to have been developed by some accounting software programer that has never seen a video game, but has had one described to him once. Particularly, the online menus. Perhaps this will be corrected in a future patch. But to have to redesign your front-end after the release seems half-assed.

As for map size, net code, alternate player types, weapon strenghts and all the other complaints I've seen, the community will correct these and it will do so with or without the support of LucasArts or Pandemic.

I am more disappointed wiht the gameplay and various balance issues - many of which should be resolved via patches anyway so i;'m not that fazed by it all.

The server settings need to actually be made available, at present it's too simplistic and doesn't really give you the ability to tweak a server how you like.

The interface is abominable needs to be fixed in the first patch, enough so that it is nice to look at (loose the wireframe and altered perspective rubbish) and make it more descriptive. Sure it doesn't have to be a masterpiece by any means but it is very, very simplistic when compared to most other MP game server options/menu choices etcetera.

The engine in this game is used to better effect in their other title Full Spectrum Warrior - where the diffusion of the bloom setting sets it better as does the action.

• 2 weeks later...

woops:eek: sorry :bdroid2: it hase come to my attension (i own the game) that jedis and siths are blind tot he force! they dont use any in battel! not even force jump! I want darth to pick up rebels whit force grip and trow them to the side, that kind of stuff! force push yuo know some kind of force use from them!!:( this is realy lowering my fun i get out of this game! darth and luke can run past each other whit outstoping in the look for enimes (i have seen it happen manytimes) cant the fight a bit the run from each others agin?:eek: i would love to see them jump arund and fight whit the lightsabers and useing force push on each other from time to time! any other how feels this way??:) ther :D

All the advertising said it was going to be similar to battlefield 1942. So why wasnt it?

It is abit like bf1942 in that youve got armies facing off each other but Its nowhere near as fun as say desert combat in terms of gameplay even though they are diffrent games.

Personally id rather they fixed the terrible AI, player models and decals before anything else. Seeing chewie as a brown blob running around doesnt make me feel like were in the star wars universe hehe.

Bug Reports/Requests/Game Feedback

Use this forum to report bugs, request game improvements from the developers and post general helpful constructive feedback

Thanks again for all the constructive feedback, please keep it coming.

The Star Wars Battlefront Team

I think they'd rather read something else :p

To the people saying the interface can be fixed by modders, I hate to break it to you but without an SDK release this won't happen.

Why? Because without source files, all you can do is basic stuff like replace models, make new maps, replace sounds and do basic scripting. You can't redesign menus and things that require coding.

So Pandemic HAS to fix those things if you want to fix them at all. Or at least provide the modding tools that will let us fix them. Otherwise you won't see any (legal) mods that fix the menus and netcode for example.

Dude. i dont think you know a lot abaut Jedi knight 2: jedi outcast.

1: The game have no physics at all.

2: It dosent have better graphics then SW:BF, i think you should take a VERY close look at the two games. SW:BF use bumpmapping. and real time shadows. what Jedi knight 2 cant do. (beside in single player, but its a crappy way they did it there)

But i agree with you that they should make the netcode much better like in UT2004.

In UT2004 you can run araund with vehicles at 180ping without lag. thats pretty impressive. ;)

Would you mind letting us know what port ranges you enabled for the server part to work??? Maybe you could let us know in one of the firewall theads???

I have been trying for nights and nights... You see a lot of conflicting statements.

Since you are a network expert you must be the one that can tell us how...

Originally posted by [iLB]Pebbles

I know I already place this in the other forum thread, but I believe it needs to be here

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136415

Well, After all the hype of the game and the enhanced video on TV made me what to buy the game. But after installing the game, setting up a server, and then playing with friends online, I really can say this really is disappointed in the whole game.

1) The dedicated server setup is too simplistic, you can not even put the configuration GUI in the background on the server or even close it (when you do it kills the server). Or is there a Linux version for us Linux server people.

2) No console or remote console controls, no map timers, etc. No real customization or configuration variables to improve server settings. No way to manage obnoxious and abusive players. No configurable ports to allow for multiple servers on a machine.

3) When trying to select at server, sluggish response of the browser, end up select the wrong server to join. Once you are in you cant even tell which server you are connected too.

4) Graphics are really disappointing, expecting the detail and physics of UT2004 Onslaught game but getting the feel of Dark Forces II game. Jedi Knight II: JO has more map detail and better physics than this game. The star-fighters were flying way too slow as they strafed and dogfight. (Pandemic please pick up a copy of Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Unreal Tournament 2004 to see where you can improve). I know that maps are larger and there are more AI bots, but the game details and physics should not suffer because of AI resources needed.

5) The network connection really needs works, one tooo many communication ports. This really makes it hard for the non-network oriented people to configure their firewall (network expert here). You have twice as many ports and port ranges for the game and this does even include any remote administration through HTTP or RCON..

6) Where is the VOICE COM advertised? No where in manual or online FAQ is it explained how to use the built in VoIP communication.

All I can say is I am not recommending this game to my friends, since it seems to be a step back in time in gaming technology.

Pandemic needs to take some lessons from Activision, Atari, Raven, and others.

Bruce Crawford

pebbles@bedrock-jk.net

http://www.bedrock-jk.net

http://www.bedrock-jk.net/utstats

Admin for :

Bedrock-JK: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast server

Bedrock-UT: Unreal Tournament 2004 servers DM/ONS

Bedrock-BF: Star Wars Battlefront ( for what it is worth)

Bedrock-Voice servers (VoIP chat)

Hi guys

Bought the game yesterday and it runs smooth and sweet in single player. I am however slightly dissapointed with the multiplayer experience.

I have heard that it is capped to 30fps. Er why?!!!! Im no network expert but is this to make us the same level as console gamers and not give us an unfair advantage?

My card can run this well above 30fps? Why is it capped (is it capped)? Does anyone know? The step in performance from single player to multiplayer is noticeable and very dissapointing.

Archived