Home

PC Controller issues....

TalonHunter

Is anybody else having trouble on the PC version mapping keys or using a joystick??

I've mapped they keys to my liking in the Control Settings page but once in a game they don't seem to work properly..

Examples:

Does crouch work for anybody?? I mapped it to they KeyPad Insert key.. I press it nothing happens.. I double hit it and I go prone.. huh???

I mapped my Enter key to Enter.. I hit it to enter a vehicle but I can not get out then.. :confused:

Again, on the Control Settings menu.. I mapped my Joystick buttons and axis without any problems... Once in a game it doesn't work at all.. I can even fire with Joystick button one...

:firehead

Originally posted by TalonHunter

Examples:

Does crouch work for anybody?? I mapped it to they KeyPad Insert key.. I press it nothing happens.. I double hit it and I go prone.. huh???

I mapped crouch to "q" and it works fine for me. On occasion it goes to prone instead of crouch and definitely goes to prone if you hit it twice while standing still.

Originally posted by TalonHunter

I mapped my Enter key to Enter.. I hit it to enter a vehicle but I can not get out then.. :confused:

make sure you've mapped the Enter key in all 3 control mappings..

for some crazy reason (only known to pandemic and the gods) each vehicle type (infantry/vehicle/air) has a completely different key mapping.

something as simple as remapping your chat keys has to be done in all 3 places for it to be completely remapped..

I was pretty disappointed at how the control options were setup for PC. You're right, if you crouch & then press it again, you'll prone. That's fun isn't it?

What is even more frustrating is there are no options to program the joystick. At first I binded all my keys for "fire" etc to my joystick & thought I was good to go until it didn't work in-game.

If you'll notice, in BF1942 & Vietnam, you specifically have to configure the roll, rudder, up, down controls w/ the joystick - in Battlefront that isn't an option thus making the joystick inoperable in the game. I hope that Pandemic fixes this in a future patch as flying with the mouse is pretty miserable, & while the starfighters & air combat in the game looks exciting, it's a major turn off to be a pilot when I'm using a stupid mouse.

Let me know if you find solutions to any of these problems.

Thanks,

Bryant (RedFoxRunner - AIM)

I was pretty disappointed at how the control options were setup for PC. You're right, if you crouch & then press it again, you'll prone. That's fun isn't it?

What is even more frustrating is there are no options to program the joystick. At first I binded all my keys for "fire" etc to my joystick & thought I was good to go until it didn't work in-game.

If you'll notice, in BF1942 & Vietnam, you specifically have to configure the roll, rudder, up, down controls w/ the joystick - in Battlefront that isn't an option thus making the joystick inoperable in the game. I hope that Pandemic fixes this in a future patch as flying with the mouse is pretty miserable, & while the starfighters & air combat in the game looks exciting, it's a major turn off to be a pilot when I'm using a stupid mouse.

Let me know if you find solutions to any of these problems.

Thanks,

Bryant (RedFoxRunner - AIM)

I spent half an hour last night trying to program my joystick for flight control and its still not right.

For some reason it seems to immediately pick my mouse for everything, plus the left right roll control still keeps reversing itself.

Talk about over complicated.

I think it was set up for joypads, not analog joysticks.

At this rate the first patch will have to be ordered on cd and considered a re-install!!!

Originally posted by RedFoxRunner

if you crouch & then press it again, you'll prone. That's fun isn't it?

That is definitely frustrating, but I like having the ability to go prone. In the levels with foliage, if you have camo, you can really snoop around (with humans, anyway). It would be nice if the AI had trouble finding people in foliage like on Endor. They should be just as limited as the real humans.

The clone/storm troopers should bump their heads, too. Just for fun...

:fett:

There's really no reason to use a joystick in this game. The flight controls are not sensitive enough at all to require the control of a joystick. wasd + mouse will do you just fine. however if you are a heavy-vehicle guy who plays a pilot and simply MUST pitch well... yeah, it does suck.

The auto-prone thing is stupid. If I wanted to go prone I'd hit prone! I still haven't figured it out myself.

In terms of the mouse, the flight controls are just HORRID. I can't believe how bad they are. In Hoth, I have literally no choice but to jump into the turret/gunner position as I cannot fly around the AT-ATs at any reasonable angle so my moron AI gunner can fire his tow cable....wake up, Pandemic. did you playtest this at all?

I guess I'm lucky. I had to keep my controller completely neutral and my throttle centered in the half throttle position to map my hats & buttons.

If you're running around on foot and you press enter to "Enter" a vehicle or starship, or even a turret, you'll need to use the 'e' key to "Exit." I have mapped Enter & Exit to my Mouse 3 button to make it simple for me to enter and exit.

In all cases I have not mapped my joystick axises to any of the axis assignments. I have left the turn and pitch axises as MouseX and MouseY. And yes, I had to turn Invert Y Axis to no, so my MouseY axis doesn't work backwards. The Invert Y axis was yes by default in the Starfighter Control Tab last I saw.

I have individually assigned each joy movement, for example:

Turn Left = Joy X-

Turn Right = Joy X+

Accelerate = Joy Y-

Decelerate = Joy Y+

Other assignments which I prefer in all fps games:

Strafe/Move Left = Mouse 1

Strafe/Move Right = Mouse 2

Crouch = Hat1 Down

Jump = Joy3

Now I'm just waiting to find out how to increase my Turn/View rate when I try to turn/view left and right. The base "Yaw" rate is so lame. Most other games allow me to manually change the yawspeed. But, seeing I can't find a command line parameter or an in-game console key, that's the one thing leading me to the dark side.

Jet

• 1 year later...

My friend's 12 y/o has this game on PS/2 and I bought it for the PC so I could play head-to-head with him over the internet. I have a logitech dual action game pad which has all the same buttons and layout as the PS/2 controller, but although it is supported, there is no EASY support for it. I have to map every @#$#@ button manually! That's annoying.

I'd like to map this thing to the exact same defaults as his controller uses. Is that documented somewhere online? Or do I have to get him on the phone and make him tell me every single button mapping one at a time?

Wowzers it's been a long time since I played this game and then - this reply goes to my email box.

Well for one - the PC version can't play with or against the PS2 version (unless a new patch came out that revolutionalized this game that I didn't know about - or are you thinking about SWBF2?

Anyway here's a link that may or may not help you in your quest with a logitech's gamepad:

Wingman Message board or Wingman team

Also if you haven't already - go to Search and input gamepad and at least 1 reply and go through the searches.

Archived