Home

The Drug Debate

JofaGuht

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by DrMcCoy

i said that i don't like their stink/smell...

Firstly, it wasn't a theory it was a statement.

You need to learn something about grammar as well. That sentence made no sense at all.

Here's what it should be like:

"i said that i do like them. i stink/smell."

Originally posted by Alien426

Firstly, it wasn't a theory it was a statement.

a wrong statement...

You need to learn something about grammar as well. That sentence made no sense at all.

you neither... ;)

"[...] i stink/smell."

Du solltest nicht von dich auf andere schließen!

(something like: you shouldn't conclude from your current state to my...)

:p

(I can't come up with an original way of saying it, so) Drugs are bad!:eek: Drugs are seriously unhealthy, pointless and a complete waste of money. Anyone who does drugs is lacking either education, maturity, intelligence or the ability to deal with problems in life properly. There are so many dumbass teens, who can't think for themselves and start doing drugs because their "friends" tell them to or because some superficial celebrity they idolize is doing it.

Smoking is also bad, although it's less harmful than (other?) drugs. It depresses me that so many teens and pre-teens start smoking. From what I've noticed in my school, teens who are less educated and their brainless, conformative friends tend to like smoking more than others.

I think alcohol is bad too, especially when you drink too much. A lot of accidents, vehicle accidents, murders, fights etc could be easily avoided if some people didn't get drunk.

Yeah, I am against doing drugs, smoking and drinking alcohol. These are really bad habits, in my opinion. I don't even like the smell of cigars or the taste of alcoholic drinks. I don't even like beer that doesn't contain alcohol.:D

Originally posted by Emin3m 2

Anyone who does drugs is lacking either education, maturity, intelligence or the ability to deal with problems in life properly.

This simply isn't true. I accept that a lot of people take drugs as an easy way to escape problems they might have, but that's not the reason everyone does it. I know for a fact that people take drugs simply because they have an open mind and want to experience something that simply cannot be experienced without the drug. Would Pink Floyd or Emerson Lake and Palmer have made the music they made without tripping out? No. I'm not saying the acid somehow made them better musicians, but it certainly opened their minds to ideas that they wouldn't have ever concieved without the effects of the drug.

Originally posted by Emin3m 2

Smoking is also bad, although it's less harmful than (other?) drugs.

Sure, some drugs will kill you - but I'd say that smoking is pretty much the only drug that definately has more bad aspects than good aspects. I've smoked the occassional cigarette, and while it does calm you, it's nothing a cup of tea doesn't offer. However, then you have the coughing, and the smell, and not to mention lung cancer if you smoke regularly. LSD, on the other hand, a class A drug, hasn't actually been proven to have any adverse long-term effects. If you are say, schizophrenic, LSD might induce this, but it's only a catalyst - it's not like if you don't take the LSD, you will never have a seizure or whatever, it just makes you have one NOW instead of LATER.

I agree with lucastones. Though I don't think hallucinogens will always give someone a "freer mind"(though on occasions it may help if you want a freer mind), it's good to point out that some of you are being a little judgmental. Those who say all people who drugs are stupid are following the propagando that is wasting 200 billion dollars a year in the US. Many people choose to do drugs on their own terms and in a safe fashion.

Also keep in mind the historical impact drugs have made. The late sixtes was a real revolution and drugs were definitely part of that.

Well if we're going to start talking about this I have to point out that King Crimson are the best, prog-wise. I only didn't mention them because I'm not entirely sure they were on LSD... I think Robert Fripp is just a little weird.

Originally posted by LucasTones

Would Pink Floyd or Emerson Lake and Palmer have made the music they made without tripping out?

Well, that depends... Barrett was really the only Floyd member to use LSD to any extent, and we all know how it went with him... :~

So Pipers... was the only album recorded while tripping out, and I personally feel that both Barrett's solo stuff and Floyd's albums in the 70s were better than that.

Payne, drugs and smoking I can understand, but acoholic drinks wear off after a while and can be handled responsibly (I get drunk every now and then, I've never had a hangover and never been involved in any kind of drunken accident or violence) and there are plenty of alcoholic drinks out there that don't actually taste alcoholic and can still be enjoyable. Drink is a nice way of, not so much freeing the mind, but freeing yourself (I sound like a hippie) and forgetting to be cautious. Some people may find this a bad thing, but considering I am usually pretty reserved and contientious about things, drink helps me be a better person around my friends and so on.

The again I know plenty of people who can have the best of times without drinking and I respect them for it, so if you can do that, by all means, do it as in the long run, it is a good thing to not get drunk. But for now, I'm in my first year of university and there's little more I can do but drink and have fun.

Originally posted by RemiO

Well, that depends... Barrett was really the only Floyd member to use LSD to any extent, and we all know how it went with him... :~

So Pipers... was the only album recorded while tripping out, and I personally feel that both Barrett's solo stuff and Floyd's albums in the 70s were better than that.

Well, I won't for one minute pretend that I know more about Floyd than you do, but I mentioned them because they're one of the most influential bands of all time, and as you say, Syd Barrett wasn't exactly unfamiliar with LSD. As I also said, I'm not sure if Robert Fripp of King Crimson was into LSD either, but this isn't really about the better music so much as the number of people who were involved in the movement and the incidence of LSD usage amongst them. I know for a fact that Greg Lake (of Emerson Lake & Palmer, and the first, and best, King Crimson album) was really into it, and he's one of the most reknowned guitarists still playing.

I don't know much about other groups such as Yes, or Jethro Tull, or Van Der Graaf Generator... certainly not enough to say that they all took LSD as a catalyst to great music - but I know that the late 60's was the time to "free your mind" and drop some acid, and it was also the point at which progressive rock was born. It's too... well, weird, to be classified as the greatest form of music, and there probably can't be a single greatest form of music anyway - but it was without a doubt very influential.

I'm labouring to explain my point here, but it's just not coming across - I'll just put it simply: LSD influenced many people in the 60's and 70's who would later go on to influence people in the 80's and 90's, and as such the drug was partly responsiable for a renaissance, of sorts. I certainly don't think it's a bad thing that these windows were opened, because I love the music.

And of course, it's not just music that was influenced... there are books written under the influence (Hunter S. Thompson, I presume) and of course movies (Easy Rider for one) - but I don't know much about those things :)

Originally posted by LucasTones

I'm not sure if Robert Fripp of King Crimson was into LSD either,...

No, I'm pretty sure he wasn't.

He pretty much cleared that up in one of his Guitar Player magazine columns from way, way back. I have it around here somewhere. He decries the use of drugs in popular music as a needless waste of talent. (Found it: GP Jan '91)

Drugs would be more than a bit contrary to his highly disciplined, almost-Zen approach to music, anyway.

Originally posted by edlib

Drugs would be more than a bit contrary to his highly disciplined, almost-Zen approach to music, anyway.

Yeah that's kinda what I meant when I said I thought he was just a bit weird - no disrespect of course. I read a review with him once, and I can't remember it exactly, but he gave the impression of having a very unique approach to music that the reviewer really didn't understand. Thanks for the LSD info on him though, as I say, I wasn't sure if he'd done it :)

Archived