Home

The Drug Debate

JofaGuht

peer pressure is still a major part of binge drinking and drug taking though. just because you do know people like that is because you're probably in with a good crowd where this doesn't happen. It hasn't happened to me, but frankly, the vast majority is down to peer pressure, those who have experimented are usually the recklass type who like to get other people to do it with them by means of peer pressure. it may not be too obvious, but it's there.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, you got me, I don't hang out with the most indignant crowd. But even if there is a lot of peer pressure, it's still used as an object for anti-drug propaganda to aim at, and is exaggerated. I remember back in fifth grade we had a D.A.R.E. instructer come once a week to "inform us about drugs". He made it seem like, by high school, raging dope fiends were going to hold me down, pry my mouth open and pour drugs down my throat. I later realized that wasn't the case. And, in fact, that D.A.R.E. instructor is probably why I'm so bitter towards anti-drug propaganda in the first place.

Being a somewhat regular drug user all through highschool I can honestly say I had some great times. I did well in school (3.5) and for the most part I never overindulged. (Which is not something I say about legal drugs, such as alcohol)

I personally like drugs. I'm a drug person, and i'm cool with that. I hold down a steady job, take care of my responsibilities first, and then take care of getting down to party.

Now here is the dilemma, many people overindulge. Just like alcohol, fatty foods, or cigarettes, drugs can easily become a very bad vice that adversly effects all aspects of your life.

It's a hard decision, choosing if you want to use drugs or abstain, but it is definitly a *personal* decision and I respect everyones choice and view. It all comes down to choosing what is best for you as an individual, not just listening blindly to what your government forces down your throat from age 1. Drugs have been used successfully throughout history from the dawn of time, and only recent social stigmas and preconceptions about them are what forms most of our views today.

Many people arn't suited for drugs, they just can't handle them and get addicted to the psychological aspects of being 'high'. Even cocaine is classified as not physically addictive, but just take a look at psychological mindstate of a strung out cokehead and you can tell they are not doing 'well'. Is it because the drug is taking them into withdrawls ? No, it's all in the mind. We get addicted to 'feeling good' and after using for a long period of time can forget what it's like to have those good feelings come from a natural source. You can't blame a plant for your own letdowns.

Use or don't use, I don't care. Just like anything else, use moderation. Stay safe. Don't get caught up trying to spend all your time in another state of mind, as you are only wasting your valuable potential.

<Waits for the weekend to buy a 5th of quality tequila and some grass...>

That's always something to look at: the difference between psychological addictions and physical addictions. But sometimes, the line between them can be confusing. For example, from studying how cocaine acts with the serotonin, it, over time, appears to become physically addictive. BUT, the exact same type of neural reaction can occur with the brain chemicals receptors send out when you're experiencing a certain emotion, which is considered psychologically addictive. Actually, I was watching this strange docudrama called "What the Bleep do We Know?" and they explained that any emotion you cannot control is one that some cell is addicted to.

Welcome to the MI forums. psychetool. Be sure to pop by the GFN as well; the people there are a lot nicer. I'm kidding.....half.

Ibogaine is supposed to cure many addictions, and it's not actually illegal in the UK yet. It works on a completely mental level, there's no magic formula in it that removes the physical addiction as such. You trip pretty hard on it too - I think it's kind of (loosely) like a Mescaline that focuses on bad things in your head. It would be a "once in a lifetime" trip, for most people I think. I don't really have any desire to try it, anyway... so I guess once it becomes illegal I'll learn more about it and decide I want to try it, and curse myself for not getting any when it was legal.

Oh well.

Archived