Home

I know ya'll are fixing it, but...

west of evil

ya'lls post on what you think is wrong and what you are fixing barely mentions xbox. It has problems from top to bottom. I can only use quickmatch, can't join or be joined by friends, the dedicated servers are terrible, and the games are filled with lag. Only 1 out of 5 games I try to get in work, and then only a few without lag. Sad part is this game rocks!!!! Please get it up and working soon. And my DSL is 1600 down and 360 up and has never ever had connection issues.

and you called warcraft 3 finished? in actual fact, most games which are released on any platform, pc or console, are done so because the developers have finished them.

do you think they thought a cpl of years ago, "oh, this game bf1942 is pretty cool , but its not quite finished yet, lets release it anyway!!!"

it doesnt happen that way. each game is released when the developers interpretation of finished is completed. wether that be a rushed out deadline so be it. if anything is left out, it is because they forgot to include it in the final build or they just didnt anticipate something. or in rare cases, the publisher rushed them.

with todays standards, alot of the things left out of swb can be pretty much unforgiveable.

i heard the ps2 version is being patched. now if a game is so glitchy that it has to release patches for the consoles, doesnt that tell you the game was nowhere near ready?

im sorry this is unacceptable. game developers are more and more getting lazier, relying on the stupidity of gamers, as it is becoming more of a common practice to release a buggy game.

Originally posted by Decepticon

and you called warcraft 3 finished? in actual fact, most games which are released on any platform, pc or console, are done so because the developers have finished them.

do you think they thought a cpl of years ago, "oh, this game bf1942 is pretty cool , but its not quite finished yet, lets release it anyway!!!"

it doesnt happen that way. each game is released when the developers interpretation of finished is completed. wether that be a rushed out deadline so be it. if anything is left out, it is because they forgot to include it in the final build or they just didnt anticipate something. or in rare cases, the publisher rushed them.

with todays standards, alot of the things left out of swb can be pretty much unforgiveable.

i heard the ps2 version is being patched. now if a game is so glitchy that it has to release patches for the consoles, doesnt that tell you the game was nowhere near ready?

im sorry this is unacceptable. game developers are more and more getting lazier, relying on the stupidity of gamers, as it is becoming more of a common practice to release a buggy game.

LucasArts had the final say on when it was released, not the devs(Pandemic). One of the devs came here and told of how him and his co-workers had stayed nights, not going home, to get this game as polished as it can be before the launch date. Thats were patched come into play. Its in most cases that games get rushed because publishers want to get the game to be released the same day as a movie premire for instance. Games like Republic Commando will not be rushed because they don't have a release date to meet, unless LucasArts tries to pull as smart one and get it out the same time as Ep3.

yeah but you strengthened my point. game developers just expect us to download a patch or something. they are getting too lazy. "oh she'll be right, a patch will fix that" is not the attitude developers should have. not saying pandemic are like this, but obviously the game was rushed. if pandemic had anything to do with it, we probably wouldnt have seen this game for a few more months., but no im sorry. im sick of developers blaming the publishers and taking shortcuts and thinking that a patch can resolve any errors they made. sure the publishers had the deadline, but the developers knew along time ago the deadline in which they had to face. so yeah......

ps. shadowcat from the xmen? she was hot!

dude, i dont spam, and i havent been totally negative. i am a nice guy and you speak to me nicely i talk back nicely. the negative things ive said of this game are not my fault. blame the game for being the way it is. my negative thoughts and views have been expressed by not just me my friend, in fact i was the first to defend this game before i actually played it.

so you want to call me a noob fine, i deserver that, but i dont troll and i dont flame or spam thanks.. ..

You obviously don't work in the game industry. Because no game is ever finished. And developers aren't getting lazy. There just aren't enough hours in the day to make a game what it should be. You can't fix every bug. There just isn't enough time to track down the code, write appropriate code (which is not easy) and make sure the bug is actually fixed and fixed the way it should be. No game ships finished and LA gave Pandemic the ol' scroogy, that's easy to discern. So stop blaming the developers and take the game for what it is. A very fun StarWars themed Battlefield clone that will get patched rapidly. Pandemic has made that clear. It was released for consoles basically finished, so that's why gameplay is mostly good. But everything else is buggered.

not only do i make my living working in the games industry, i probably know alot more about writing game code than you ever will. so before you think about what to tell me next, why dont you accept that not everyone likes this game?

you said it yourself, the game was unfinished. sure maybe to our eyes, but do you really think the pandemic guys thought their pc version was unfinished when they released it? have a good think about that one.

but do you really think the pandemic guys thought their pc version was unfinished when they released it? have a good think about that one.

Proof positive you don't work in the game industry. Unless you mean you work at the local arcade. Ask any developer. No game goes out just as the developers want it nor as people who work along side the developers want it either. They have said themselves that there are issues that will be worked out and addressed. If they thought it was done, they wouldn't be ready to fix things, would they? They wouldn't be ready to make a patch would they? Think before you type. I don't need to be a programmer to know that it takes a long time to fix even the smallest of issues. And fixing one thing can break another.

Case in point: You know sports games? The games that everyone says are just roster updates year after year? Should be perfect if they do it year after year. Well Madden 2005 went out with roughly ~500 known issues (not just simple bugs) in the game. Finished? No. And the guys upstairs weren't exactly happy. But it went out.

This game will get ironed out. Stop acting like no one has a right to tell you how stupid you act and sound. I accept that not everyone likes this game. But you can't accept other realities. That this game's major issues will largely get fixed. That they are ready to do so. That you largely flame issues and the game and other posters without putting forth reasons for anything before hand. If you're going to post in almost every thread, atleast attempt to add to the discussion at hand in some sort of productive way. Just putting forth some sort of credentials (I am a programmer! I am 25 years old!) and bashing others (You don't work in the game industry! You are a 10 year old!) doesn't constitute a coherent argument. It's the definition of flaming.

For the record: I work in the game industry. I am 20 years old. Neither really matter.

Originally posted by Iceman_IX

Proof positive you don't work in the game industry. Unless you mean you work at the local arcade. Ask any developer. No game goes out just as the developers want it nor as people who work along side the developers want it either. They have said themselves that there are issues that will be worked out and addressed. If they thought it was done, they wouldn't be ready to fix things, would they?

......I accept that not everyone likes this game. But you can't accept other realities. That this game's major issues will largely get fixed.......

listen to me. i will not talk to you again if you do not listen ok??????

when they (pandemic) released swb to the public, trust me, they thought it was finished enough to at least release a playable game to shop stores.

Only NOW do they realise AFTER they released it that it wasnt finished and that it needs severe patching. otherwise if they knew it wasnt finished, they wouldve had a patch in the waiting as soon as it hit stores. think about that!!!!!! dice did the same thing and managed to get a patch out before battlefield1942 hit australian shores. simple fact.

also stop thinking that i wont accept the fact that this game will be patched. when have i ever stated that in no way or no time will this games major issues ever be fixed????? thats right punk.

and for the record, i work for a very big third party game company in australia(EA Australia), and lucasarts have made us their technical support for australia, much like many other game publishers, they hire us as a third party to print their boxes, do their booklets and do all the technical support for consumers.

and i am getting sick of 15 year old kids or their mothers calling me up saying they cant get multiplayer to work properly. do you know how annoying it is trying to explain to a mother that its a server side issue and that a patch may be distributed online to fix any other issues there might be with the game?

ive never had this much problems with gamesupport over the phone since , well, ever.

"finished enough to at least release a playable game to shop stores." is 4 qualifiers away from being "they thought the game was finished."

Of course the first one is true. But that doesn't make the second so.

otherwise if they knew it wasnt finished, they wouldve had a patch in the waiting as soon as it hit stores. think about that!!!!!!

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136566 Trey is as reliable as anyone I guess.

before battlefield1942 hit australian shores. simple fact.
Which was probably a few days after actual release. A few days. We can atleast give it a few days.

and i am getting sick of 15 year old kids or their mothers calling me up saying they cant get multiplayer to work properly. do you know how annoying it is trying to explain to a mother that its a server side issue and that a patch may be distributed online to fix any other issues there might be with the game?

Well you probably know as much as I do that CS calls will turn developers' and publishers' heads as fast as anything.

I think what everyone else is looking for is a few new ideas to go along with your insistence that almost everyone else on these forums is a) a moron b) 10 years younger than you and c) full of thoughts/contributions that are less valid than yours. It gets kind of old when all someone does is complain. I guess with a job in customer service you feel like being the one full of gripes. Usually the complaints stop after a thread or two.

I should've gone to sleep when I said I would.

yes you are right to certain degrees. so lets agree. and yes i get very tired of complaints. but in my department thats what i am paid to do, listen. but really, after the 20th person calls up and says they cant even play the game properly as when they hit the start game button it crashes to desktop, i go mad. as i actually have no idea to help these poor folk.

I totally agree with you decepticon. Its getting ridiculous now with the half ass games that are coming out more and more. I do not spend 50 dollars and expect to have to patch and patch a game just for it to work properly. And as long as everyone keeps accepting it as thats the way it goes it will not change. Would you buy a car that was missing control arms or brakes so that it could make its "release date"? Only to be expected to buy them later. I dont believe you would, so why should we be expected to buy and support unfinished games.

And what difference does it make if anyone works in the game industry. I would expect better from all of you so called "game industry" employees. How about holding your peers accountable for unoriginal poor quality work. Not sympathyzing with them just because you can relate. Bottom line is we all have deadlines no matter what we do and if you dont meet your deadline so be it but half ass work is half ass work no matter which way you look at it.

when they (pandemic) released swb to the public, trust me, they thought it was finished enough to at least release a playable game to shop stores.

You're wrong, dude. Honestly, if you ever worked in this industry you'd know this.

In computer gaming industry (and in most other software development industries) the developers are NOT the ones who "release" products, that is the job of the publisher. The publishers (LucasArts in this case) are also the ones setting the usually unrealistic deadlines. Those mysterious dates are usually pulled out of their a$$es at some meeting, probably without ever consulting the developers.

When that magical date is nearing and the game is still not finished (which is usually the case), the publisher has a difficult choice to make. They can do one of two things:

A) They can postpone the release date and face the consequences of all the hype their PR department created over the time. This can enrage the community and bring on en-masse cancellations of pre-orders, in other words negatively affect the sales and therefore their profits.

or

B) They can order the developers to ship the product at its current unpolished state, with all the bugs and flaws. Delivering the product "on time" allows them to save face. This way the pre-orders are fulfilled, sales are boosted by hype, and most customers are happy, all of which translates into good profits. As far as the product's flaws and shortcomings, that's nothing a patch or two (or 10?) won't fix. It's not the olden days of MS-DOS and one-and-a-quarter inch diskettes, delivering updates is a snap, now that everyone's online (especially if the software requires a hefty internet connection).

Which way do you think most publishers choose? Nowdays it's almost expected of the PC games to be released in their Beta stage and be patched later on. Can't pull that off with consoles, since updating software titles on them is almost impossible.

In the end, it's not the developers' fault for releasing unfinished software, it's the publishers and distributors that are the bad guys here. They are the ones getting the lion's share of the profits while the devs get blamed and must work their butts off to finish the software after it's "oficially" released.

P.S. By the way, Half-Life 2 is the prime example of what happens when option A is chosen. Vivendi (the publishers) have set up unreasonable release dates and were forced to push them back for almost a year, because Valve (the developers) were not given enough time to develop the game.

Why would the PS2 version recieve a patch and not the Xbox version? I have the same issues with this game as do other Xbox Live users (see first post) and I paid $50 for it. I would expect some attempt to fix the issues since this is the Star Wars franchise we are talking about and that alone should warrant every platform getting the same attention.

Originally posted by Chahk

You're wrong, dude. Honestly, if you ever worked in this industry you'd know this.

In computer gaming industry (and in most other software development industries) the developers are NOT the ones who "release" products, that is the job of the publisher.

um yeah? i did not say pandemic were the publishers. i said pandemic released a game to the public, as in you can interpret it in that they released it to lucasarts who then released it to the public, whatever man, i work for in the gaming industry so um , yeah i kinda know how it all works thanks for trying to explain which i already knew.

listen to me carefully.

pandemic would have known when the release date was due. they wouldve had months and months to get their stuff together. if they didnt think they could handle the release date, then they couldve said so to lucasarts long before they(lucas) decided on a release date. lucas arts doesnt just say "hey this is the release date, you have until then" i am sure meetings and scheduled appointments of endless discussion resulted in establishing a set street date. if pandemic were not up to getting it out by this street date, then another meeting wouldve been called to arrange another deadline long before the first deadline was announced. you get me? its rather simple.

There are XBox and PC patches in the works/on the way. Probably by the end of the weekend. Check the Sticky about the "official post regarding several issues"

you get me? its rather simple.

Yes, we get you. And yes it is simple. Except LA DOES just say "hey this is the release date, you have till then" and if they don't opt for "A" (see 2 posts ago above) then the game will get released. It's playable so I'm sure they thought it was acceptable to release (though not complete). But for PC it's not in great shape.

LucasArts figured releasing with the DVDs of StarWars was far more publicity than any other game could receive... and they're correct.

The reason release dates don't usually get renegotiated is because the time Pandemic would need to make this game perfect is just too long. If they didn't release it now, it'd probably be months till we had the game. You can't just mop up production in a week.

Originally posted by Chahk

By the way, Half-Life 2 is the prime example of what happens when option A is chosen. Vivendi (the publishers) have set up unreasonable release dates and were forced to push them back for almost a year, because Valve (the developers) were not given enough time to develop the game.

um, dude? the game was mainly delayed due to , i dont know, maybe a little thing like THE SOURCE CODE BEING STOLEN?????

doom3 more fits option a, where activision set unreasonable release dates, but ID are pretty big and wouldve just told activision "hey guys, do you want the game done or not? leave us alone" lol maybe i dont know. i dont see all the big fuss about holding a game off until its finished. we have waited so long for doom3, and now halflife2 is nearing. we are used to game delays more than we will ever get used to buggy games. id rather wait ten years for a game to be finished (duke nukem forever may take that long) than to be dissapointed with an unfinished game.

i dont really think the public wouldve cared had swb come out next month or next year. the fact is that it was only announced early in the year that this game was being made.

anyway my point is, pandemic knew a release date was coming and tried to make the game as playable as possible for this date. so im sorry, you are trying to tell me that they (pandemic) didnt bother trying to get a playable build finished in time? thats all i was saying. lucasarts probably asked them if they were ready. you dont know, i dont know. noone knows. all i know is that a playable build was "obviously" bloody well made now wasnt it? who do you want to blame is up to you. the end result is still an unfinished game.

Yes its strange that even though the gold was on schedule, some bugs etc are still in it. I believe though pandemic will be updating everything to make all well. Just like in BF1942. May be a small dissapointment that not everything was clear from the start, but at least they'll try fixin it. PS2 had their first fix already

well my theory is, lucas was a movie maker and should stick to making movies.

he didn't have anything to do with making this game. :\

i dont think lucasarts should have anything to do with any starwars games ever again lol

copyright infringment anyone?

Archived