Home

The Beloved Bowcaster?

TK-8252

Anyone else notice how Chewie throws a fit anytime someone takes away his bowcaster? It's like taking away a toddler's favorite toy. Since Wookiees hand-craft their own bowcasters, I think that they have some sort of emotional attachment to their bowcaster.

Heh, watch when an angry Imperial Officer rips away Chewie's bowcaster in the Endor bunker. :p

• 2 weeks later...

According to most EU sources, a Wookiee bowcaster is a very powerful weapon wielded mainly by Wookiees, since it apparently requires great strength to use it. Most Wookiees have their own custom bowcasters and modify it to suit their tastes. So someone taking away a Wookiee's bowcaster is not only taking away one of its primary means of defense, but also a very personal item that is most likely very dear to said Wookiee.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by guybroom

In KOTOR all the important wookie character's have their own bowcaster. Also i think that the bowcaster has a lever or something which takes a lot of strenth to pull back or something like that.

its true, in many EU books, it describes the bowcaster as something not many species have the strength to handle

i think the reasoning behind this is that if they had their 'caster stolen, their enemies could not use their weapon against them..Obviously, chewie wanted han to be able to use his weapon, so he put some mods on it

Originally posted by Kurgan

That reminds me, they only call it a "crossbow" onscreen, never a bowcastor. But it's nothing like a crossbow, except how its shaped!

This is very true, the only refrence to it in the OT I recall is when Luke tells Chewbacca to give up his "crossbow."

interesting seeing as how most games have gotten their design wrong as well. supposedly the bowcaster is a heavy weapon with a great amount of force needed to cock it. In all the Jk games and KOTOR they are easily wielded by humans with no re-cocking. but never does it say in any of the descriptions that they were installed with auto-cocking mechanisms. just a minor quarrel but an inconsistency nonetheless.

Originally posted by TK-8252

In Jedi Outcast and Academy the Wookiee Bowcaster had an auto-cocking modification.

And the one you use in Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith is a model of the Bowcastor modified by the Tuskens on Sulon (Kyle's home planet).

Still, in all the games the Crossbow isn't really anything like the "Bowcastor" as described in the EU. And it's different from the one Chewie uses in the movies, which (like I said) is pretty much just a blaster rifle that's shaped differently. I think it sounds a little different too, but the behavior of the red "lasers" it fires is just like the weapons the Stormtroopers carry (the "E-11").

All this talk about the games vs. the movies has reminded me of something.

For the longest time I insisted that "yellow lasers" like we see in JK2/JA for the Bryar pistol, and the Repeater weapons in all the JK series (minus Dark Forces) were something invented by the games. However, now watching the new ROTJ DVD, I see that in fact the lasers fired by the Speeder bikes are yellow. That is, assuming this isn't something that was changed in the 2004 editions... ; )

PS: Let's keep the Episode III discussion to a minimum. No offense but we have TWO dedicated Episode III forums (one for spoilers, one for not). Please be sure to use the appropriate spoiler tag as well. Thanks.

Originally posted by Kurgan

For the longest time I insisted that "yellow lasers" like we see in JK2/JA for the Bryar pistol, and the Repeater weapons in all the JK series (minus Dark Forces) were something invented by the games. However, now watching the new ROTJ DVD, I see that in fact the lasers fired by the Speeder bikes are yellow. That is, assuming this isn't something that was changed in the 2004 editions... ; )

It is yellow in the middle, but it is still red around the edges (as far as I can tell)

Originally posted by Revlt Coranier

I had always wondered why Chewie never had to cock his bowcaster between shots, but then I read that he installed an autococking mechanism.

Since in Star Wars you can travel interstellar distances in the blink of an eye, a bowcaster that doesn't need loading seems feasible. :)

Originally posted by Revlt Coranier

cock

[dumb look on face]

Heh, Revlt said "cock."

[/dumb look on face]

Archived