Home

any one else disapointed at the size of the maps??

xDarkRainx7

dont get me wrong i do like the way the current maps are worked...but i was hoping for some truly LARGE maps... maps that make the Rep Gunship practical as a troop carrier... maps where you can have dozens of vehicles all in combat...just imagine the opening of the battle... the large spawning of troops... some fill all available positions in the vehacles and fighters... and the rest just using rush tactics on the enimy... wail gunships/shuttle craft ferry troops to various positions unreachable by foot..

also a tad disapointed that they didnt include AT-PT's for either the Rep or Imp...

Yeah, it's one of the minor gripes about the game. No word on possibility of new maps. These seem like console-sized maps that are built for the ~20 people max that consoles can take. PC needs maps for ~50 people (though Naboo and Geonosis and the one rainy/clone map are fairly large)

I also agree. When I heard SW:BF was using the BF1942 engine, I guess I assumed they would also have large maps where vehicles would be practical. Geonosis is an interesting map, but the Republican Gunships dont' serve a purpose, as the map is too small.

I was fairly disappointed at the tightness of the maps & how constricting it can make the game feel. Feels more like a "Medal of Honor" version, than Battlefield.

Ok where do people get that it is using the BF1942 engine?! No where does it state that. The closest it comes to stating that is when the devs say "We played alot of BF 1942 and got soem inspiration from it".

Now as for the map size, I kind of like it. It actually feels more like a war instead of just 40 people going at it, especially when you add in 32 bots per side combined with 32 players. Also keeps the game from becoming "ring around the rosie" which so many BF42, BF:V and their various mods become because the maps are so big while the number of players on average per server is so small. At least with these maps you generally have to fight to take any flag; where as, with BF:42 and BF:V maps you can go around behind and take back flags almost completely uncontested until you get to the last 1 or 2 flags.

Lets face it...maps are another way that the PC version got hosed.

PC servers can host 50 players....but are playing on maps designed for 16 player PS2s.

I can only hope that in a patch very very soon they expand the PC maps to BF1942 size (or at least some of them, especially the ones with aircraft)

I gotta say i agree with you guys on the size of the maps. A lot of them are good sizes like bespin and hoth but need more airspace to dog fight and need less of a border. I realize that this is an action game and that you don't have to go far to battle but i think if the maps were bigger, the anticipation of going into battle makes the actual battle all the more rewarding. Kind of like the first time you took on nazis in the omaha beach map in bf 1942, you first have to find a boat to get to shore and while taking that boat you're wondering about the opposition, the anticipation of going into battle and killing the other team's men. That was what made the game fun and immersive for me. Here you don't really have time to anticipate or think about what you're going to do. You pretty much just rush into battle, you fight, you die, you respawn. It all happens so fast. Now i know for a fact that bigger maps on the PC wouldn't kill performance at all. I've played the game with over 50 people on a server in which the matches last like 5 minutes, quite a lot of people like on geonosis and the other big maps with no loss of performance. The devs really need to input an option to raise the number of tickets in a game. And if they release editing tools i promise you that the levels released will contain those 5 kilometer maps where you have to trek in order to get to a battle but also will be more practical for sniping as the game doesn't have much room for camping and sniping which is a shame. I am personally gonna see to the making of such maps, i just hope people haven't given up on the game until then as it truly is a great game but i think they could have done a lot more with what they had.

BF42 was the same way when it released...small maps.

You could barely do a good run in a plane, before you had to turn back around.

Gazala was the biggest map.

Then came the mods...and now, Forgotten Hope showcases some of the BIGGEST Maps out there!!!!! They are HUGE!

Some take a few minutes to travel across......in a plane!

So maybe with some modding, the maps will get bigger.

Or maybe in a patch with new bigger maps. Who knows.

~Q~

i think that most of the levels are way too small for flying vehicles

however they should jsut encrease the rooma round the level to fly around in

take bespin platforms if they encreased the fly zone by 2 or 3 it would be alot easyer to maneuver there

but dune sea is jsut ridiculous its way too small for x-wings and tie's

Bespin Platforms seem pretty big. You can go a levels length around the actual platform before getting the warning. I can't imagen a patch ever possibly change levels that are already out unless a patch includes the levels remade in it (which would really increase the file size). I'd rather get new maps then have Pandemic bother with ones that are already out.

Originally posted by Quint

BF42 was the same way when it released...small maps.

You could barely do a good run in a plane, before you had to turn back around.

Gazala was the biggest map.

Then came the mods...and now, Forgotten Hope showcases some of the BIGGEST Maps out there!!!!! They are HUGE!

Some take a few minutes to travel across......in a plane!

So maybe with some modding, the maps will get bigger.

Or maybe in a patch with new bigger maps. Who knows.

~Q~

Uh...What the hell?!

BF42 was NOT that way when it was released!

The maps were NEVER small!

The only thing patches ever did to the maps were optimization(textures, polys,etc.), exploits, bugs, etc.

But NEVER did they change the sizes of the maps.

Archived