Home

We need SPECTATOR Mode!!! Please!

OldIronsides

I run a shoutcast radio station and I fully planned on supporting the game with shoutcasts. This must be another evil console bleed over, because there is no Spectator mode that I can see. This is just horrible news if that is true, and they don't add one in a patch SOON! A PC game without a spectator mode completely limits the ability of that game to be covered by various media types.

Please Pandemic and Lucasarts....give us SPECTATOR MODE!

OIS

http://www.oisradio.com

You all are seriously confused. The spectator mode is a server side option. It is something that can be turned off . What you are talking about is death cam that allows you to survey the battlefield before you spawn.

Please understand what you are saying before you contribute. :-)

SWBF would be a great game to spectate players to see how they play the game..pick up tips etc.

A chase cam spectator mode, if anything, HELPS prevent cheats. Especially in matches if you follow someone around, you can sometimes see them doing map exploits and things.

You all have the cheating angle BACKWARDS!

Um no, we know what we are talking about. Spectator mode also allows any player to jump in and not join a team, and just watch the game. THUS they can go through, follow around the opposite team while they are with their buddies on TS and tell their TS buddies (also on the opposite team BTW) exactly what that team is doing, and what they are using.

If you want anti-cheat petition for Punkbuster, not spectator mode as Spectator is far too easy to abuse. Besides, as it is, no respectable server admins allow spectator mode on their public servers because of that very issue.

And again it just allows non-players to take up a slot another person actually doing something that wants in could be using.

Pandemic has far too many higher priority things to deal with anyways right now to worry about "spectator" mode just for the one or two people that might run shoutcast servers. I think Linux binaries, the actual ability to admin your server, and remote tools are far more important at this point in time.

Originally posted by =HR=Meltdown

Pandemic has far too many higher priority things to deal with anyways right now to worry about "spectator" mode just for the one or two people that might run shoutcast servers.

True. Spectator mode would hardly even be a consideration with all Pandemic has to fix as it is. I wouldn't discount the idea entirely though. Could show up in an add-on or upgrade down the road.

Originally posted by =HR=Meltdown

Um no, we know what we are talking about. Spectator mode also allows any player to jump in and not join a team, and just watch the game. THUS they can go through, follow around the opposite team while they are with their buddies on TS and tell their TS buddies (also on the opposite team BTW) exactly what that team is doing, and what they are using.[End Quote]

Ummm..Umm...that statement falls under the realm of wtf?. I'm of course talking about following around someone during a competitive match..a league admin..a shoutcaster..etc..in a Server that is PASSWORDED! ..hello???

IF someone is in a noob pub server and is using spectator mode to give info about a game that person needs a serious life. I mean who could care less? LOL . And anyone worrying about anyone doing that is even more confused. Yeah..tons of guys giving TS info from a PUB server..instead of just playing...OMG..that gave me a good giggle guy, thanks for the laugh.

TS is almost exclusively a clan tool Not too many pub noobs running around trying to get people he doesnt' even know onto his TS channel. So, you're worried clans are going to spectate in a non passworded server (PUB) and spend their gaming time spying on a buncha pub noobs?

nice one, really funny! :-)

And for you guys who don't see this as a priority....Admins that can't spectate seriously limit the ability to keep leagues safe from smacktards. That affects the entire competitive gaming community. Organized clan play is the driving force to keeping a game on the radar map, making it robust. You think CS is still around because the game is 1337? uh..no..it survives in it's serious competition mode. Anyone interested in mods, and future effort put into the PC version of any game would do well to look to the health of competitive league gaming! No spectator mode cripples league admin's, which means the staying power of this game LONG Term is affected by it. Can you say that about the speed of the sniper shot that needs fixed?

I won't say Spectator mode is the MOST important fix that needs to be made, but it's a glaring ommission that I fear is due to the dreaded console influence.

****SPECTATING IS NOT CHEATING!****

----------------------------------------------------

....so what do you see when you die????

It doesnt follow your teammates when you die? Like in BF42?

Does it just go to the Character Select Screen?

~Q~

Um actually ironsides TS is no longer ONLY a clan tool. Most professionally run servers ALSO run public TS servers for their players. I know we do at the gaming server company I admin for and we have over 3/4 of our players on any particular server using the TS server as well. So no TS is NOT just a clan tool.

Second, very FEW leagues use "administrators" on the server with the gamers. Name me ONE real officially respected league that does that (I'm talking CAL, OGL, CPL, etc. The ones that actually pay out in other words). They simply don't use it as most of the time the servers are maxxed out anyways with the most players the game supports. Not even the campaign leagues like 21st Century Warfare or Galactic Warfare use it.

Third, it is more of a priority to get administration functions and a Linux server binary in place than it is to get a spectator mode which will be used by a limited amount of minor leagues. Public servers, of which the majority of the 3000+ servers of say BF:V are, have no use, and do not use "spectator mode". It does no good for the limited number of servers which would use spectator mode to catch cheaters to have that mode when there are thousands of other servers out there that can't do anything about the cheaters themselves.

Would spectator mode be useful for some in a limited capacity? Yes, no doubt it would and you showed me that. Is it of enough use to enough of the players and server admins/retailers of the game to place it in a high priority? No, not until we have as much of the other server functions (kicking, banning, linux binaries, server messaging, logging, and anti-cheats in the form of PB) in place. As someone else stated, it's a decent idea for version 1.5, but not version 1.1. There are too many other more important things for the devs to concern themselves with than that limited use function that only 1% of the server admins would ever use.

So yes again, we know what we are talking about. Most of us have been admining servers, renting servers, and providing retail servers for the public for years. We know what the majority of admins need, and spectator mode ain't one of them at this point in time. Maybe once the necessities get in place, but until then I highly doubt they'll put a high priority on it nor should they,

Edit: And quint it shows you your killer (something they need to provide the ability to turn off) and then goes immediatly to the respawn screen. After you select respawn it just shows you one of the flags in the map and not really much of anything else going on in the game.

Yes, my whole idea for my Battlefront/JA movie "Attack of the Noobs" is a bust unless they add a spec mode in thru a patch or something, as this game is perfect for filming chaos, theres so much action on screen. I'd even settle for a console cmd to allow me to take away all my weapon views and huds in first person so I could walk around and film stuff, anything dammit!! :(

Archived