Home

Regarding the lack of voice chat for PC

KvanCetre

I remember reading an article where the developers said they removed voice chat for the PC due to the fact there were options out already such as TeamSpeak and Roger Wilco...

This bothers me, as they show a lack of knowledge of how either of these works, OR they're just liars.

Heres the problem: First, you have to have a third-party program...no big deal. Then you have to have EVERYONE on your team have it. THEN you need to give everyone the IP for the server and hope everyone joins. However, after one round, its pointless, because teams change, and well, then the enemy can hear everything you say. So many times has voice chat been needed to cooridnate strategy of capturing CPs...

I'm so very dissapointed with the decision to remove it... most likely to rush the game out the door for DVD release day... :rolleyes:

To make matters worse, they limited the length of messages...so coordination of anything is just about out of the question. I'm not one to normally criticize devs...but... this is just painful.

I'm actually glad they didn't put it in...those 3rd party programs are WAY more organized...and you can kick people out of your chat...

Why would I want an Imperial jumping over into the Rebel chat and hearing all our strategies? with 3rd party programs you can make passwords so only YOUR team can listen in...plus TONS of other options...

In-game chat just doesn't work well.

admit it, you really didn't read the post the whole way through.

Think about it: The round switches. You used to be rebel, but now are forced imperial. You can hear everything the rebels say.

With in-game voicechat, it would make sense to only allow your teammates to hear what you say(or have that as an option - again, something that would take TIME)

However, with third party, you have to minimize the game, go into Team Speak, and hope EVERYONE on your team actually has it, and those with it actually join the server. How likely is that? What about folks with only Roger Wilco?

I hear ya (no pun intended) I was one of those who posted a thread on this when I first got the game. Some people were nay and some yeah about the thing. I for one am with you. I was really looking forward to having voice chat, especially with the lack of radio commands they have in this game. They are going to add the radio commands later though. Still I think voice chat integrated gives an advantage. I have sent a complaint to LucasArts because it is a load of crap!

I believe Game Voice is superior to Roger Wilco.

They have a free version available for download from the gamevoice.com website. It allows you to enter voice chat with other game voice users but doesn't include program voice control features.

Setup is very slick, and it uses MSN Messenger's engine to do all the work. :)

With the retail version, you get a USB hardware controller with a Team button, or 1-4 for individuals, and an ALL button. Check it out, it's worth the price. Good luck finding one, since it appears Microsoft has given up on their Sidewinder series in favor of the Xbox.

In Unreal Tournament I also use the Strategic Commander as my left hand controller instead of the W-A-S-D keys and just say "Flak Cannon", Lightning Gun, Rocket Launcher, etc.

With my setup I've kissed the keyboard goodbye.

Erm, most professionally ran servers (i.e. Wolfgaming, Ninjaserve, etc) already have public teamspeak servers ANYONE can use running a script that automatically checks every few seconds which game you are playing and which team you are on and makes sure you are in the proper TS room for it. You don't have to worry about the enemy over hearing you because the up to date scripts make sure they stay in their channel.

So yes TS is quite handy, it just takes the players doing some research as to which servers run it and play on those servers exclusivly, or start up your own server, make a webpage for it, and post your TS info there.

Archived