Home

Terrible ship handeling

Cholistoy

Originally posted by Cormix

All the flying in starwars is childish , very easy but not near as good as BF1942 wich is also easy but alot more realistic were also you can go up 1000 feet instaed of 100 feet lol.

With a joystick it might be easy - but atleast I thought it was hard as hell to fly with your mouse and keyboard effectively on that game.

Originally posted by papa zero

Quite possibly my imagination... but the handling on the snowspeeder feels a lot different than the other flight vehicles. Its A LOT easier for me to work with.

I agree with you 100% but I think it may have something to do with the size/layout of the battlefield. The controls for flying on the PC are just horrendous, I can't belive that there's no joystick support.

Originally posted by Mountainforest

Comparing the handling of starfighters with wwII bombers which some of you do is stupid. I hope you guys agree with me those two are totally diferent.

a tank from world war 2 flys more like a starfighter oughta than the starfighters in this game. map size aside.

Originally posted by MrTrust

I agree with you 100% but I think it may have something to do with the size/layout of the battlefield. The controls for flying on the PC are just horrendous, I can't belive that there's no joystick support.

Oh, but there is joystick support in the PC version. The way to enable it just happens to be a bit nasty.

First, center all controls on the joystick. The stich itself is usually auto-centering, so that should be no problem. But do not forget to center rudder pedals and the throttle if your stick has them.

Then, go into the control configuration of the game. Select the vehicle or starfighter tab (you can configure the stick for infantry use as well, but why would you want to?), and scroll the list until you see items with "axis" in the name (some already associated with the mouse).

Strafe axis, Throttle up/down axis,...

Now, the tricky bit: Click one of those items with the mouse. The selection sometimes picks the wrong item. No problem, just try again until it asks you to press a key for the axis you want to assign. Then, move that axis on the joystick in one direction, and move it back to center. The joystick axis will be added to the screen in the game.

Repeat for every axis.

Now, unlike the mouse axes, joystick axes are signed in the game (a + or - appears behind them in the controls list). So start an instant action game with vehicles available and jump in, take off, and try flying. If you find pitch response is incorrect (for example, my throttle worked in the wrong direction), the "invert Y axis" in the control configuration may help. If any other action is incorrect, you will have to clear the controls for that axis and assign them again, but moving the axis in the other direction (so if it was listed as +, you'd assign it as -, and vice versa). There doesn't appear to be a function to clear actions from the controls list, but each action can only be mapped with two keys. So assign two keys to the axis (I picked M and P, map and screenshot keys, they're right above the axes in the control screen), then assign them back to what they were assigned to previously. Now the axis doesn't have any joystick functions associated with it, and you can proceed with giving it the right joystick axis and direction.

You should end up with somethign like this:

http://users.pandora.be/wim.libaers/swconfig.jpg

(correct direction may vary between sticks, strafe doesn't seem to do much)

Ship handeling is crap. No rolls, low flight ceiling, overly simplified controls.....

It's console controls. That's fine if you are on a console but if you are a PC gamer you expect more. Eveyr other major MP PC game out has superior air power feel to them. Go look at the boards of major competition sites like TWL and you'll see gamers that compete agree.

I initialy hated the ship control scheme. I tried my joystick and was sorely dissapointed.

Then I went back to mouse (trackball) mode and used the arrow keys. Works much better with a mouse. In airships I use the reverse key and strafe keys to get real tight turns. Beyond that the levels are way too small to engage in air to air combat. The ships are better used in troop support which in the end is what they should be doing.

richcz3

Archived