Home

droideckas overpowered?

Jaif

I've just bought the game and played a few single-player scenarios. Each infantry type seems to have a role (though not always on all maps), and while some are more powerfull than others, it doesn't seem that bad.

Except the droidecka. This thing is freaking incredible! It has a fast movement mode to get near the front lines, a shield for great defense, and awesome firepower.

Does this go away in multiplayer? Am I just way off? The droidecka seems amazing.

-Jeff

I was worried about that, but to my experience, it really isn't unbalanced. Yes, it has a great gun and great defense (3 missiles to kill it with a fully loaded shield), but it cannot strafe, pilot, throw grenades, command troops, jump, switch weapons, or man turrets. Aside from that, in wheel form and when unshielded it is abysmally fragile. Transforming between wheel and assault mode takes long enough so that if you are caught unaware in wheel mode it often spells doom for you. Finally, it cannot turn well at all. Any unit can kill it by jumping over its head and shooting at its back, providing that it keeps moving to stay out of its sights. Trust me, play as the droideka on Kamino against a few talented jet troopers and you will agree. The droideka is great for certain situations, but not all.

Originally posted by TiJiL

I was worried about that, but to my experience, it really isn't unbalanced. Yes, it has a great gun and great defense (3 missiles to kill it with a fully loaded shield), but it cannot strafe, pilot, throw grenades, command troops, jump, switch weapons, or man turrets. Aside from that, in wheel form and when unshielded it is abysmally fragile. Transforming between wheel and assault mode takes long enough so that if you are caught unaware in wheel mode it often spells doom for you. Finally, it cannot turn well at all. Any unit can kill it by jumping over its head and shooting at its back, providing that it keeps moving to stay out of its sights. Trust me, play as the droideka on Kamino against a few talented jet troopers and you will agree. The droideka is great for certain situations, but not all.

I agree. The droideka is good in certain situations, but very voulnerable in others. When rolling or transforming from a roll position to a firing position it is unshielded and very weak. The shield generator can absorb lots of hits (and granades bounce off of it!!), but the shield drains quickly. Once it's drained the droideka is back to its fragile self.

It's weapon is not very accurate either; it sprays all over the place. And it has a long reload time.

The worst thing about them, at least on the PC version, is that they take too long to turn around.

I love them though. Lots of fun and potent in some situations. Still trying to figure out their optimal use.

Maybe in console they are a force to recon with when u have auto-aim, but in pc they are very poor. I was looking for them to double shields or something cause they get killed so easilly. Even in close situation half the shots misses targets... Maybe they should tuned it better for pc when auto-aim is not used.

On the PC they are weak. Online you'll hardly ever see them, except maybe for bots.

With the abundance of Jet Troopers with emp launchers right now, Driodiekas get wasted in one shot as they unroll.

Their weapon seems more inaccurate then the average blaster gun. It makes it extremely hard to hit anything as everyone is either tumbleing around you or flying above your head, and you just sit there helplessly.

I would even go as far as to say it the weakest special class right now.

I would think with auto-aim its a lot more powerful on the console, seeing as its accuracy is one of its major faults on the PC.

Maybe they should tuned it better for pc

In there lies the root of many of the problems with this game. It wasn't made for the PC, unfortunately ;(

Im just hopeful they will do a good job supporting this game. After all, they do want to convince me to buy their expansion pack, right?:D

From the PC side of the game:

Good point Outlaw_VR, not to get too off tangent already in this thread, with a release on every platform the game turned out pretty good on PC. I would have imagined more bugs and problems (like bf1942 when it was released) but they did alright. Other than the multiplayer - server game interface and lack of any mod tools - which of those 2 are the only big flaws in the "Sucks" dept. The droideka has it's issues before it can be considered "perfect".

Anyway back to the subject at hand. I totally agree with TiJiL, sodan & VR. Good points. So true about the jet troopers. 2 hits from their main gun and the droideka goes down. 1 for the shield and one for the finisher. The droideka still needs some work when it's rollin'. It is rather clumbersome. But that again is the trade-off too. Strategy needs to come into play when using them.

The overall balancing of the game is excellent in my opinion. This can alos be said of the droideka. Like others said it has the best gun and defense, but to get somewhere, you have to transform to that fragile mode.

I thik droideka's are most efectice for keeping clear a street or corridor, and to provide cover for teammates.

Originally posted by Mountainforest

I thik droideka's are most efectice for keeping clear a street or corridor, and to provide cover for teammates.

I agree. Two droidekas at the front of an advancing group of droids in a streer or hallway provide a lot of defense and offense.

I love how grenades bounce of the Droideka shields! lol!

I love the droideka, personally. My favorite class to be. On Kamino and some of the other labarynth infantry maps, they get trounced by jet troopers. However, they have the occasional dominating use. Coolest moment with a droideka: I was clones, fighting on Mos Eisley (single player). We had taken all but one of the command points and killed all but one of their forces. Unfortunately, that last one was a droideka in a very nice spot. He was close enough to the command post that we could not take it, he was on top of a staircase so it was very hard to reach him, he was behind a corner of sorts so you couldn't throw a grenade at him without ascending enough to be in range, he was almost entirely shielded from aerial attacks, and my stupid allies would just go after him one at a time and get slain. I could not manage to kill him... Until he stupidly moved.

Anyway, prime example of a deadly droideka.

droidekas are for fire support. They get into position quickly (they turn fine - I'm a demon with the buggers in wheel mode, just use the keyboard not the mouse!) and can lay down some serious cover fire so that the more mobile troops can do their job. Jet troopers are an issue in the open, but in tunnels and what-not, droidekas are vicious.

I think they're not too strong or too weak - they're not all-purpose units...

DroidDekas are generally horrible, unless they act primarily as support.

Their guns are horribly inaccurate and can't fire for a terribly long time.

I can easily take out Dekas either as Sniper or Missile troop.

Can't stand the droids, all their weapons seem horribly innacruate or slow.

Originally posted by Evil Dark Jedi

On the Xbox version the droideka turns way to fast. I play on bespin platforms and fight in the trenches and there ius always a droideka there. When I go to shoot it from behind it turns around in about 5 seconds. Then I just get blown away.

5 seconds? 5 SECONDS?!?!!?

That's an eternity! Why weren't you moving around it?

-The Grinman :D

I think the droidekas could be great in the right hands. I try them once in awhile but always die quickly. In my opinion the shields should be invulnerable. The shields run out quick enough as it is.

On certain maps the clones versus the droids are way too unbalanced. The particular map I'm thinking of is the one with all the stairs and broken buildings. It's a maze for the droids to get to flags but the jet troopers can just hop to the flags in droves.

Maybe on these maps the droideka's can be given a few heat seakers to help take out some jet troopers.

I love being the jet troopers so I wouldn't like to see them weakened, there just needs to be something that can defend against them in the maze like maps to make the matches more fair in my opinion.

I played online a bunch today, and I see what people mean about droideckas. It's not simply the stationary thing, it's that they're really high profile targets. Big glowing bubbls tend to draw fire.

I think they need some kind of anti-vehicle fire, maybe. I don't know, something.

-Jeff

DroidDekas are meant to be mobile machine gun nests. You rull to a spot where you have a lane of fire, lay down carpets of fire, and shield whenever they send missiles/fire your way. Then move. You have to keep moving. Good on maps like Kamino. Roll to your post, sit at top of ramp and lay down fire below. Roll away when you've drawn too much attention.

Archived