Home

Homer Simpson

Mongo05

Mostly, not exactly the same sounds. That is, unless you downloaded some edited version that had all the sounds.

If you're unhappy with the sounds, I'll e-mail you all I have. Two-thirds, however, are what Mongo used. I think you're jumping to conclusions without truely trying it out. Sounds don't have to be drastically different if it's the same character. Taunts, yes, but most things else? No.

Originally posted by Johch Ai'oki

Mostly, not exactly the same sounds. That is, unless you downloaded some edited version that had all the sounds.

If you're unhappy with the sounds, I'll e-mail you all I have. Two-thirds, however, are what Mongo used. I think you're jumping to conclusions without truely trying it out. Sounds don't have to be drastically different if it's the same character. Taunts, yes, but most things else? No.

No, I think you have misunderstood. I downloaded his model that I linked to.

He made one a 'cartoon' skin and one a 'real' skin, he made separate sound folders for the skin when he could of 'linked' to the homer sound, not make a whole new sound folder with the same files for homer_cel

Look in the PK3 under sound/char and you will see he doubled the sound files, which adds 3+ MB to the download.

I am in no way 'complaining' about his model, I am just saying he didn't have to include the same sounds twice.

In his sound config for BOTH models to 'homer' instead of one to 'homer' and one to 'homer_cel'....

I believe you are still mistaken. Much of the sounds are the same, granted, and that can't be helped knowing I don't have as many sounds as you think... But a bit more variety helps sometimes. But that's my opinion. If you want, I can slowly convert 'em all over to a mono MP3 just for you and e-mail 'em to you so complaints about an extra 3mb are halted.

Eh, I guess I should stop thinking most everyone has broadband now.

I'm not the author of the model. I did provide the sounds for it, however.

I'll make what I'm trying to say simple enough:

Sounds mostly same, except taunt and death sounds and some other things.

Now if you don't like a few extra MB, why not just convert 'em all to MP3 sounds or, better yet, edit the pk3 file yourself so both models point to one group of sounds so you can delete the other?

I'm not the author of the model. I did provide the sounds for it, however.

I'll make what I'm trying to say simple enough:

Sounds mostly same, except taunt and death sounds and some other things.

Now if you don't like a few extra MB, why not just convert 'em all to MP3 sounds or, better yet, edit the pk3 file yourself so both models point to one group of sounds so you can delete the other?

I don't think you get it--at least, I think what he's saying is that you didn't have to include the sounds that WERE the same twice. I realize some of the sounds were different--fine, that's all well and good. But the ones that WEREN'T different needn't have been included twice.

Sorry, it drives me insane to see a misunderstanding this simple go unfixed...my head will explode or something.

So you're trying to say you rather would have Homer in his voice when he taunts or dies, yet in, say, when gasping or jumping or landing, etc. You want him to sound like as that default multiplayer guy voice you hear when you don't have enough sounds or somebody's skin/model?

If you ask me, I'd rather have Homer in his original voice all the time.

So you're trying to say you rather would have Homer in his voice when he taunts or dies, yet in, say, when gasping or jumping or landing, etc. You want him to sound like as that default multiplayer guy voice you hear when you don't have enough sounds or somebody's skin/model?

If you ask me, I'd rather have Homer in his original voice all the time.

God damn it, you just don't get it. I give up too. :|

I think I do get it... But if we take it your way (which I shall call Option One), that's exactly what it'll end up being. Option Two is only one pack of sounds for both models. Option Three is having two packs of sounds, one for each model, with some similarities in small areas...

Which would you pick? I don't know about you, but Option Three sounds nicer to me.

Here's what I mean. You have two directories of sounds (named hypothetically, of course), with some of the sounds being the same, like so:

Homer1-----Homer2

pain1--------pain2

pain3--------pain3

taunt1------taunt2

taunt4------taunt4

death1-----death1

Now, as you can see, some of the sounds are the same, which increases filesize. The proposal is to link duplicate sounds to the originals, like this:

Homer1-----Homer2

pain1--------pain2

pain3--------<<link to pain3 in Homer1 directory>>

taunt1------taunt2

taunt4------<<link to taunt4 in Homer1 directory>>

death1-----<<link to death1 in Homer1 directory>>

This way, you get the same results, but the filesize is reduced by whatever amount of space the duplicate sounds were occupying.

Archived