Home

Battlefront PC Patch 1.01 Thread (second official patch)

[RNGD]Tyrant

Originally posted by XBebop

Stop your whining These nice people have given us a game we've waited for for a long ass time and you're not even grateful? Makes me sick.

They didn't give it to us for free, we had to pay $55 for this game! These guys didn't do us a favour, they wanted to sell a product. If I buy something I expect it to be good and proffessional. If this was a free mod then I would whole-heartly agree with you.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love playing this game. I have a ton of fun. I know there are issues, but it appears Pandemic is working on them. I'm happy to see they are at least releasing fixes, whether or not they are the size and quantity people want right now. Just give them time and they'll work their way down the fix list.

Seems to me some people are complaining about the issues more then they are enjoying the game. If that's the case, do as someone metioned earlier, just take a break and come back when you feel the game is in good enough condition for you to enjoy it.

You have legitimate gripes, but at this point it's not doing you or anyone else any good to be so upset and so pissy about things that cannot be changed as quickly as you'd like them to be.

-Let Pandemic know what issues there are

-Try to support the community and the game in a pro-active way

-Have fun with the game

If you can't do those things, give another game some usage for a few weeks, then come back and see if you like how things are looking.

P.S. In no way is this directed at you Tyrant, actually quite the contrary. I think you've done a heck of alot to assist this community, and am happy to have you around. This is focused at people that are just here to complain and aren't really getting anything out of the game.

Originally posted by XBebop

Stop your whining These nice people have given us a game we've waited for for a long ass time and you're not even grateful? Makes me sick.

These nice people?!?!?! What are you, thier P.R. rep? THese "nice people" have our 50 + bucks! These "nice people" promised us one thing and didn't deliver. Instead I get a game that has way too many bugs for me to mention. A game that I rarely play now because of said bugs, and the only reason why I have kept it installed is in hopes that patches will come out soon so I might actually be able to enjoy the game that I paid for. Not to mention that it took me three times to get the damn game to install(another common problem that I have read on the forum), so if I were to uninstall it I might not be able to get it installed again when a REAL patch actually comes out!

Yeah these "nice people" better be nice. Because we have every right in the world to be angry with them, and this fiassco of PC game could ruin buisness for them regarding future games. I've seen it happen with other game companies before and it could happen agian! I personally have been waiting for "Full Spectrum Warrior" to finally come out on the PC. The other day I see that it finally has, so I go to get it and guess what? I see that it has been developed by Pandemic. So what did i do? I put it right back on the shelf and just bought some dvds instead. That's one less sale Pandemic has gotten because of SWBF. I can assure you that I am not the only person in this world who has done this either!

"Nice people", HA!!! Now that makes me sick!

I wouldn't blame Pandemic so much as I would blame LucasArts for making them rush the game out to coincide with the (also rushed, thanks to LucasFilm) SW DVD box set.

They had a tall order ahead of them, release this game on three platforms simultaneously on the same day as the DVD's, for the Star Wars fans who'd buy the DVD's and were also casual gamers.

Hopefully they'll be able to fix the issues and polish up the PC version of the game which really needs a lot of work, being a straight console port that didn't meet expectations.

Now that said, they won't be able to please everyone. Clearly this isn't the game that many of us were expecting (something to blow away Jedi Academy and UT2k4, etc.) from all the hype that had been building over the past few months.

However, they ought to fix issues that are NOT the fantasies of some overzealous Lucas-bashing Star Wars geeks, but widely reported in numerous respected review publications and community forums... namely the AI problems, connectively problems, framerate problems, menu/interface problems, etc.

I'd love to see them add little things we've come to expect in these types of games like a robust console and adjustable cameras (the angle is just poor for the third person vehicles and the 1st Person Speeder Bike is too close).

And to the apologists, much as you may hate to hear it and much as it may hurt the feelings of the guys who worked hard on this game over at Pandemic...

We have every right to complain about a defective product that we paid good money for.

Hello...! Considering how difficult many retailers make it to get refunds for computer software and video games these days, one should not automatically assume that we're all ungrateful idiots who buy games knowing we'll hate them and then keep them just so we can whine endlessly to hear ourselves whine.

If you're perfectly happy with this game and wish never to hear anything negative about it, here's my suggestion, TURN THE INTERNET OFF!

That said, I think Pandemic (like Raven with their games) is doing the right thing by releasing patches to fix problems in the game. Hopefully for them this will win back customers and make the experience more enjoyable. And here's hoping that LucasArts gives them the freedom and motivation to continue to improve the product and make it what it ought to have been so much as within their power to do so.

Originally posted by Kurgan

I wouldn't blame Pandemic so much as I would blame LucasArts for making them rush the game out to coincide with the (also rushed, thanks to LucasFilm) SW DVD box set.

It's funny... I didn't even put it together until a while afterward. It is rather silly to sacrifice quality for marketing dates, but it happens ALL THE TIME in the software industry (I know because I've been working in it for the last ten years).

That said, I think Pandemic (like Raven with their games) is doing the right thing by releasing patches to fix problems in the game. Hopefully for them this will win back customers and make the experience more enjoyable. And here's hoping that LucasArts gives them the freedom and motivation to continue to improve the product and make it what it ought to have been so much as within their power to do so.

Yes. The patches, while not fixing everything all at once, have dealt with issues that they considered to be problematic. Evidently 1.00a was rushed as well, since it seems that it broke the server browser as much as it fixed it.

However, the very fact that we've already got a couple of patches so far indicates a certain level of commitment to the future of the game, and also that they do want to correct what issues they can within a limited time frame, and release fixes incrementally. They could have just dropped it in our laps and never touched it again...

So I guess I'm pretty pleased with the direction in which it's going, though I personally haven't installed 1.01 yet (I've got a LAN tomorrow and I don't know if the organizer wants us to patch-up or not, so I'll hold off until it's firm).

I'm actually quite amazed that they were able to release two patches thus far. They must have been working on the patches weeks (or more) before it went gold!

Anyway, from the looks of things we'll probably receive more patches as they fix issues (I hope), and at least we get some benefit out of it. I'm a proponent of incremental releases, though it would be nice if they would fix some of the BIG issues as well. They probably will, but obviously it takes more time and resources (i.e. people the company has to pay to fix the issues), so we will have to wait a bit longer for the big problems than for the smaller ones.

I guess, in a nutshell, what I'm suggesting is that we should be somewhat grateful for the fact that they are at least doing something about it, to make up for the lousy release date timing, which they probably had little or no control over. I realize, too, that it's probably little consolation for everyone who shelled out $60 expecting a rock-solid product, however...

Regarding 1.01, does anyone know if they fixed the ping indicator issue?

:holosid:

Just to poke fun at the game, The Star Wars mod for BF1942 just release a new version with more starships and maps. So that might be a good alternative until this is all fixed.

I have been playing more of SWBF, yes i like the game, but it could have been so much more. Hopefully they realize this and do release a substainial Patch.

Still feel i was give a bait and switch job.

Originally posted by [RNGD]Tyrant

Kind of a stark comparison though to the EA's release today of the 200MB BFV 1.2 Patch with new maps, vehicles, weapons, spectator mode, etc, etc,

Maybe Pandemic has decided to release around 100 patches in the next few weeks?

:jawa

Although I haven't seen any Devs post here, Schetter can confirm there was at least one or to decent posts on the Team Warfare Forums. There are many problems with the Network connectivety and Administration and it looks like those will be addressed first before the gameplay bugs.

For me it's clear that the simultaneous release of the DVD's and three platform games brought this on. I am betting that there will be a decent sized patch late October or early November. The holidays are close and I am sure they don't want this to fall of the gaming radar before then.

One last note: The Lucasarts page has announced they are working on fixes. So that is some acknowledgement.

richcz3

I must confess something.. after reading through the SWBattlefront page at LucasArts I realized I made a huge blunder earlier.

I had long assumed that this game was using a modified version of the Battlefield 1942 engine. In fact, it's using a whole new engine (developed by Pandemic Studios, who had no connection to EA's game at all). Pandemic was chosen because of their background making the "Clone Wars" game on consoles.

I just sort of assumed all along that this was connected to that title, but it's just a coincidence.

I apologize for being misinformed. Doh! ; p

Originally posted by richcz3

Keep in mind Pandemic did play Battlefield to get a feel for the playing environment. [/b]

If that's the case, they should have played it a lot more, cause this game isn't even in the same stratosphere as BF42. First off, let me say I really wanted to love this game, but instead, I've been completely disgusted. The multiplayer is hideously flawed and runs like a.s.s., and joining a game is like playing russian roulette. I've been a hardcore online gamer for over a decade and played tons of fps's, and I've never seen a game where such a duality exists between it's game modes. The single player is beautiful and runs like silk while the multiplayer is nearly unplayable. The single player gives you an idea of what the multiplayer "could" be like, but at this point it's not even close. It's the single player experience that sold me on buying this game. I said, "Man, if the sp is this good, I can't imagine what the mp must be like!". Boy, did I get duped! Once I played the multiplayer, I seriously had to pinch myself to make sure I was playing the same game. I think the mp must have been consumed by the dark side of the force or something. You see, when you play a game like BF42, the online play is as smooth as the single player. I mean, in a day and age when games that run as smoothly as ut2004, COD, BFV, or Tribes are the industry standard, I can't believe Pandemic had the nerve to release something as badly coded and unfinished as Battlefront. It's inexcusable. The first Delta Force game ran better than this. Hell, Duke Nukem ran better than this. There is more warping in this game than a crate full of records left in the sahara and I play on a T1 line with a 3.2 p4, 1gb, 9800 pro xt. This is the first Pandemic game I've ever played and it will be the last. Thanks for the $50 coaster guys.

30 fps lock. Pfft! Pandemic Nubs!!!

This is not the place to whine about the game in general. This is the patch. Only patch comments etc from now on.

It's like doggy says, great. They made a mistake with the commandline bug and fixed it now. I don't see why you think they wont release new stuff anymore

this patch is worst than the earlier

° now sometime my system quit from the mp game with a crash error

° the ASE continues to don't work (at least to me)

° the audio is not working anymore properly with SB Audigy2 (the sound crash sometime)

° they didnt fix anything of the mp browser <-- a real TRAP (i spend half hour to find the right server everytime)

well i have no words.

they really want people quit from playing this game?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by DogGy

Maybe you downloaded the 1.00, because in the 1.01, your cursor is independent of the server list while there come new server

doh! i didnt notice that the cursor now is independent.... :D

this is the 1% (that i even didnt notice!) of the improvements that i expect in this crappy server browser..:mad:

the standard actually, year 2004, is BF1942 - nothing more nothing less - they did something owned to the '90s.

Archived