Home

Battlefront PC Patch 1.01 Thread (second official patch)

[RNGD]Tyrant

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by GunghoUK

NAT = my understanding is that this "Network Address Translation", which is just for IP address translation between LAN & Internet. Dont see how this would affect online play performance.

I run the game from behind a DSL router/home network which uses NAT.

Since the patch, I seem to have better luck joining servers and getting less "server is full" messages when the list clearly shows that it isn't. Maybe it is a coincidence, but so far I am pleased with the results. JMO

Originally posted by Iceman_IX

LoQ, you have to click on each server (use a scroll wheel to go through the list after it quickly updates) to see the actual ping of the server.

Ahhhhhhh.......ok I see it now! My pings are still higher but now that I see the actual ping of the server I see that it isn't quite as bad as I thought. Thanks a bunch Iceman. I'm much calmer now. :)

:duel:

Actually this patch is a godsend for the majority of the players who have only 1 or 2 servers they regularly play on (such as myself or Stryker412). Now we don't have to wait for the server list to fully update before trying to join the one server we always join. We just open up the browser, the list is immediatly there, and we can join right away without the wait.

This patch is a POS!

Before the patch I could not select servers because when I put my mouse over them they usually did not highlight properly. That sucked bad enough but there were workarounds that were not all that time consuming. It sucked, but not as bad as what this new patch brings.

For me I now get the joy of having a huge list of servers that I still cannot really tell when it has finished refreshing that are almost all red with one bar. Then I get to play this lame game of trying to scroll through them to get them to actually ping and crap only to be disconnected whenever a map completes.

Tip #1: COMPLETE YOUR PRODUCT BEFORE RELEASING IT TO CONSUMERS.

Tip #2: WHEN A PATCH IS REQUIRED, THOROUGHLY TEST IT BEFORE RELEASING IT TO THE MASSES.

It's a temp fix. That's why it's garbage. They said themselves the change was "minor." Atleast it takes the frustration out of selection a server and you now have control. Can casually select a server, observe the ping, # of players, and RI numbers/ratio before joining. Before I never had time to see what the reinforcements were for each team because I had to quickly double click!

NAT = Network Address Translations

Usually an ISP gives you a routable IP

(NOT

10.X.X.X

172.16-31.X.X

192.168.X.X - these are reserved for 'internal use' and are not routed on the Internet)

therefore when you have a home LAN and have to traverse your fw to get out the fw has to take its WAN (routable) IP and tell gamespy that your WAN IP is the source IP and shuttle the traffic between the LAN and WAN interfaces.

The traffic being the Layer four ports that the application runs on.

Firewalls work by defining what ports you will allow to traverse the two interfaces, plus you can filter on other criteria as well if the firewall is robust enough (inbound, outbound, source routed, etc.)

Apparently they deduced that for the browser to work properly they had taken some things for granted about routing to/from the gamespy servers.

Each fw vendor implements NAT a little differently as well, as do software vendors. Where I work I have to NAT many of my desktops if they are going to join an online web seminar, or connect to a Citrix server, etc.

HTH those that are interested in the propeller head stuff.

I dont like how it made the servers appear red and I have to click them to see 'real details' I just wish they would let it work with ASE properly instead of being so wed to gamespy.

Nothing against gamespy, but why lock us in?

I hope they add support for ASE.

Anyone notice the date on the patch changed from the 24th to the 29th. Must be the same patch though because it still has the same version number and when I tried to install it I get a message saying that I already have the latest updates. Oh well. :( Guess I'll just keep waiting for their next patch.

Anyone notice the date on the patch changed from the 24th to the 29th. Must be the same patch though because it still has the same version number and when I tried to install it I get a message saying that I already have the latest updates. Oh well. :( Guess I'll just keep waiting for their next patch. God I hope their next patch will have lots more updates than this last patch.

Anyone know how to uninstall just the patch?

I've decided I don't like it. I'd rather wait the 2 minutes or so and see a complete list with pings rather than a quick list of no information, which is what I get with the patch. :( Better to have to wait 2 minutes for each server to update than to have to click on each one to get its ping. I wait now and they don't update, nor do the player numbers.

A real disappointment...

Actually it loads servers quicker, keeps the server selected... just list by in/mac i do now, and i mostly just need to select 1 and it has a good ping.

There are alternatives like the all seeing eye. As for downgrading, recommend you a) reinstall swbf or b) just copy the files from the cds that were overwritten

Frankly...people who are complaining know nothing about patches.

This patch came out pretty fast, it's temporary and that's all.

True, patches should require lots of testing but when you take too much time people start complaining about Pandemic taking their sweet time and not caring about the game. This is all bullcrap.

The fact that they released a patch so early means they do care about the game.

Suck it up and wait for the next patch.

are they going to update the retail version on the CDs to this so that this patch is only for those of us who've bought the thing already and all new retail copies won't need it? or nothing of the sort?

This is usually only done for major updates but it's a possibility. Won't know till they start printing new CDs (which would also be a requirement) but probably.

"probably" - ie they will change the CDs? is there any way to find out and when would they start printing the new ones? lol... i'm guessing that they'd do it and change the box design at the same time (go to a regular box instead of the fold out flap thing) so I guess that's something to look for... but not before a few months at least... no?

Since ive downloaded the patch the server select screen has gone weird. When you put the select thing over the server the ping goes to green when before all the pings where red. When i clicked to go to a server it loads up the planet but then goes back to the windows desktop. Also it still says the server is full on some servers even though it says like 29/32 or somethink like that. Seriously annoying! :mad:

Well, I got sick of pings and player counts not working since loading the patch, so I finally uninstalled and reinstalled the game to get rid of it. I'd rather wait 2 minutes each time and have usable information.

I would have liked to kept the NAT fixes, though, so if someone knows something more about taking the patch apart and seeing what files are in it, I would appreciate the information.

Some tips for a patch:

- Make the crouch button a key you have to hold pressed like all the others FPS. Leave the prone one as it is.

- After a finished battle, when you see the stats, give the possibility to exit from the game session. If it's already there well I can't see it. If I press ESC it starts to load the next map and only when I'm back in the battle I can exit the game! :mad:

- Give the possibility to select an option where your weapon change automatically when you go out of ammo.

- An option to set which POV, first person or third person, you want to auto select for every situation (on foot, in a vehicle, in a starfighter) would be appreciated.

- In galactic conquest it would be nice to be able to choose which map to attack first for the planets with 2 battles.

- Give the possibility to select an option where you set your HUD to show numbers instead of graphic bars for health, vehicle status etc.

- Give the possibility to change your charachter name without changing your profile, or at least to copy your profile with another name.

At least you guys can connect...Im on the ps2, and after waiting 75 seconds for it to realise there's a patch, it takes another 75 seconds to say Error Processing Patch.

Yay....just what I need...

I tried deleting old patch from memory card, but still same thing....this sucks. Aren't patches supposed to fix things? Not, not let you connect online?

This sucks so much....wow. Im furious. I was supposed to play with some fellow forummembers on another forum too...

RAWR

Archived