Home

New WIP's

hatrus

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These models look fantastic, hatrus. Keep up the good work! Also, as a possible idea for the future, remember Monkey Island? If you do remember, at one point in the game you see LeChuck's ghost pirate ship sailing off into the night. I think that would make a great vehicle, if a little hard to do. Just a thought. :D

Originally posted by Zappa_0

LOL your right hellfire jedi you dont know what your talking about. We are talking about two different people here. They both come from different backgrouds. One does different model's then each other. Also like I have said before there is no book of rules for modeling in JA and states that a modeler does not have to UVW map there model for the sake of the ppl wanting to skin it. If they was smart enough then they would figure out how to skin it, rather then complaining about it over and over again. And going to the poly counts. All of Hatrus' stuff has been fine, so you cant complain about that. Hatrus is a pro and can make vehicles within days and releases them cause he fills like that he has done all that he can for them. He has said that a million times now. Why dont you people start reading what other people are saying. Then you might know what is going on and wouldnt be complaining about something that has already been said.

zappa, in all kindness and friendlyness aside, are you acting all mean and tough because you got fired off PCGM?

BTW, those 2 models, they look completely different than any of your other models, so maybe you could PM or post some proof that they actually your's.

the arwing looks decent, seems too long and the colors don't look right.

TIEs look all right, but I'm still disappointed that you're pursuing quantity over quality. I suppose that, like Zappa for example, the majority of people who download the vehicles won't be able to tell mediocre from great. The reason I post this is I was disappointed with the abysmal texturing on the AAT, and I went to try and reskin it. I would, of course, have asked permission before releasing anything.

Anyway, the UVW mapping on it was absolutely abysmal. Surfaces were piled on top of each other, placed sideways, distorted, et cetera. I didn't get very far before giving up. If you re-do it, properly mapped, I'd be happy to do a skin for it. As it is, though, fixing the skin only fixes half of the problem, and doesn't really seem worth it. Texturing on the Star Fox thingy suffers from the same problem. It really IS worth fixing, honestly. It's well known to be the most tedius part of game modeling, but it's really a necessary skill for this kind of thing, unless you have someone else to do it, which you evidently do not.

Your high-poly models look good, but Kman is, even by your own admission, more experienced with low-poly game modelling and skinning. His advice is good advice, and he does good work.

Coming back to my original point, if you want to please the uneducated masses who can't tell a primitive from a polygon, this works. But if you want to build a decent low-poly portfolio, you really do need to put more work into individual models. I like many of them, but those are really mostly the ones you found nice textures for.

I hope you didn't take offense at any of this, as I certainly meant none. I also hope Zappa doesn't try and come to your defense over this--he's diminishing your reputation. :p

you want some proof!? drop your pants and bend over! then ill give you some proof. sure ill pm you but you wont like it! imma make an example out of you to show others what happens when they call me a theif. if youd have done your homework then youd know you keep your comments to yourself. guess your gonna have to learn the hard and humiliating way. if you post an apology about how incompatent and thoughtless you were about making these accusations then i might forget about it. you got a day to reply b4 the gates of hell open, for the 10th time.

the only thing about the arwing that i can say (other than being another great vehicle) is sharpen up the textures a bit and add a little damage or some type of a grain texture to give it a physical texture appearance.

and as a personal request, ive been trying to reskin the rx178 gundam model to look more like a desert camoflouge, but it doesnt work, would you be able to make the RX-79(G) gundam from 08th ms team? if so i can get you really good pictures.

Thrawn keep your big mouth shut and dont start nothing. Hellfire, to answer your question, not really. Its kinda due to the fact of people like thrawn that wont shut the hell up about how hatrus puts out so many vehicles. If people would only read to what he has already have said a billion and two times, then they wouldnt be so stupid would they? Also Thrawn if you want the job of texture artist for hatrus, have the job. If you cant match hatrus' speed of production, then stop whinning. You say you tried to skin the AAT and failed at it? Thats no excuse, even I know how to skin his vehicles, it doesnt take much to skin. It only takes some common sense to know what goes where. And Iron, why dont you get him the pictures first so he can see what you are talking about. Then maybe he would do it.

Originally posted by Zappa_0

Thrawn keep your big mouth shut and dont start nothing. Hellfire, to answer your question, not really. Its kinda due to the fact of people like thrawn that wont shut the hell up about how hatrus puts out so many vehicles. If people would only read to what he has already have said a billion and two times, then they wouldnt be so stupid would they? Also Thrawn if you want the job of texture artist for hatrus, have the job. If you cant match hatrus' speed of production, then stop whinning. You say you tried to skin the AAT and failed at it? Thats no excuse, even I know how to skin his vehicles, it doesnt take much to skin. It only takes some common sense to know what goes where. And Iron, why dont you get him the pictures first so he can see what you are talking about. Then maybe he would do it.

Zappa, you fail to make crucial distinctions:

There is a difference between a finished, optimized, and well built model, and a quickly approximated, roughly built model.

There's a difference, and I'm telling you, if you don't know the difference, you should take pause to consider the difference.

I have no doubt that hatrus' work should be praised, but he needs to consider that it can be better. As a skilled artisan, he should be open to suggestions on how to perfect his craft.

I admire his ability to turn out such nice models so quickly, but if his fellow modellers can tell there are underlying issues and poor construction, he should be open to their suggestions, which is the kind of suggestion Thrawn makes here.

zappa calm down. i talked to thrawn on msn and he explained to me what he meant and i argree with most of it. i can imagin he had a hard time trying to reskin my aat, because its not obvoius where the textures for each mesh are. cause i use parts of one texture for several meshes. guys do this cause it takes less time then making the little skins you see for games. plus they're do not intend to reskin them, and if they do they know what goes where. i never said i would make it easy to modify or change my work, i only said i am perfectly ok with it being done. the models are made to be enjoyed as is, but the option of improvment is welcomed. its not my responsibility to install a wheel chair ramp, but it is still possible to get up the steps, all tho it isnt easy. like kman had said one, if you dont like the textures, you mise well build it yourself right? then you can make every aspect they way you want it.

Hatrus: That's a legitimate argument--in fact, I may have one more go at that AAT this weekend. It was mainly the texture stretching in a lot of places that made it difficult.

Zappa: No offense, but until you've learned the first thing about modelling and skinning, stay the hell out of my business. So far you've done nothing but lower my opinion of you. Hatrus can handle his own affairs, he doesn't need a mob of sycophants refuting posts for him.

LOL Thrawn, yes i know about skinning myself, ive done a few myself. Well I am stating how it is and I dont really care what you think of me. Im not here to impress anyone special. And also im not posting for hatrus, im doing it all for myself. And its good you havent gave up all hope in skinning the AAT.

Originally posted by Thrawn42689

Zappa: No offense, but until you've learned the first thing about modelling and skinning, stay the hell out of my business. So far you've done nothing but lower my opinion of you. Hatrus can handle his own affairs, he doesn't need a mob of sycophants refuting posts for him.

Not directed at me, then what do you have to say about that?

Ok here is my little speach on textures and all. I am about to show you all that textures is a very small part of modeling. Textures arent everything, as so of you would like to think. Here is the exact same Arwing I posted previously (in game), in a little scene I created in max. It uses the same "crapy" textures and nothing has been added or taken from it, except the tags and dummy boxes. Hopefully you can see now why I dont worry about my textures as much. Im not used to having to do all this skin job crap and all. And I still dont understand why people make such a fuss over a bad texture.

Here is the flight scene with just a simple enviroment background, some lighting, bump map, and other simple stuff.

arwing_render1.jpg

Here is the 45 minute scene that shows the Arwing indoors, unchanged and with the same textures as the one in game.

arwing_render2.jpg

As you can see, my usage of textures was at a minimum. This is why you dont need textures to make a model look profesional.

well actually it's a vehicle since it's piloted by a human in a cockpit inside the Gundam ...

But well there already is a Gundam Wing Model out ... even exactly the same Gundam. But I guess that's not a problem.

Since hatrus always produces better versions of already made models..

And wee it's a vehicle as you can tell from my definition.

So start work on it master!

Archived