Home

I just had the most fun tonite!

Darth Groovy

*looks at watch*

Well, yesterday after alot of research, I finally broke down and bought Star Wars Battlefront for XBOX. Why? Well two reasons:

1. Wasn't convinced my pc was up to snuff to handle the specs.

2. All the reviews I read gave the XBOX version the highest score.

My review:

This game is based on BF 1942, but even if you have not played THAT game, you can pick up on this game quite easily. Basically it is tailor made for multiplayer combat. You can be a rebel, stormtrooper, clonetrooper, wookie, or a battledroid. Though it is team based combat, the fun just never stops. If you have played UT2K4 "Onslaught" it is basically the same game. Each team has to take control of certain command points in the game. Once you take control of all the command points, you win the round.

What is so cool about this game?

Pandemic did a fine job of re-creating the classic Star Wars elements! If you ever wanted to jump into a Star Wars movie and just use the weapons and vehicles and wreak havoc on people THIS is the game for you!

What I personally like about this game?

This is the best xbox live game I have ever played. After playing through several single player missions, I decided to take the pepsi challenge and play it on XBOX Live! Surprisingly, I was not too terrible at this game. I got off quite a few head shots, and nearly wet my pants the first time I climbed into an AT-ST and blew the crap out of quite a few "Rebel Scum". :D

Playing on live with this game, was the experience I was always looking for, I was chatting with alot of people my age, and I think one player said it best when he said "you know, all the cool people play late at night, because all of the little kids have to go to school. I had fun playing this game last night, and made some new friends. Surprisingly, I was kicking some ass as well. For anyone who loves Star Wars, I highly recomend this game. For anyone looking for the ultimate XBOX live Star Wars game.....THIS is where it is at.

My first experience with XBOX LIVE was with Imperial Sarducker (aka: Treacherous Mercenary) which was a terrible game, but cool just because it was fun to talk to each other while blowing each other to kingdom come.

I was kind of apprehensive when buying this game, because I have read so much negative feedback on our forums, but it seems to stem mostly from the PC community.

Playing on LIVE was fun! I was chatting with guys my age, and amidst fragging we were chatting about girls, jobs, and upcoming games like HALO 2, which seemed to have everyone excited on that server. I plan to spend my nights here forward playing this game. Turns out, I am a ****ty pilot with air vehicles, but I do pretty good on ground assult, and with the AT-ST.

Basically, what I am saying is that this game is just pure fun! If I can learn it so quickly, so can anyone. The SP missions are interesting, but the bots seem to take over in rapid ways. I blew through 3 campaigns in the first sitting. It was so quick that sometimes I would line up the perfect shot, and suddenly....victory!? Needless to say, the bots are really good, and the graphics and assorted SW elements are also done very well. The cut scenes are short, but most of them consist of key elements featuring scenes lifted directly from the movies. The player map can be KIND of annoying when you jump into an X-wing or Tie Fighter, because the air space restriction does not give you alot of flying freadom, and if you travel too far in the wrong direction you are warned until you ultimately blow up!

All in all, on a scale of 1-10, I give this game a 9, it has a great deal of replay value, and I DO NOT feel cheated at all for what I spent for this game.

If any of you swampies have the xbox version, my gamer tag is Darth Groovy! Add me to your lists, and I will probably most likely get on late at night!

Cheers,

Grooveh :cool:

Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak

XBox? That's a shame, but yeah, Battlefront rules!

All the bad reviews people gave it, is BS.

Seems most of the bad reviews I read were in SWBF.net....no big surprise there.

Only problem I had was I got a teeny bit of lag once or twice, but all the other guys were experienceing it at the same time. And it was not often enough to really annoy me at any time. I agree with the grenade toss issue. It would be nice if you could control how far you throw it, but I managed to find a way around that also.

This really is a fun/easy game to play, but as for all the xbox live games I have played so far? This one is the best ever.

I tried the demo that came with my Starwars DVDs and it messed up my xbox, so i had to try downloading another version to test it.

Its very, erm, meh....

I don't have live, so i may not be the core audience, but i have to say that i'm not all that impressed.

First off, i haven't had the PC or connection to get into all these BF1942 type games, so this is my first experience of these battlefield type games. Maybe i am missing something.

The graphics are nice, and they have definately captured the feel of the settings. And a lot of the little touches are great (sand people, ewoks etc...). You really feel like you are in in the battles from the movies. Unfortunately you don't feel like you are involved in them.

With so many bots running around doing their own thing it seems almost impossible to do ANYTHING tactical. You just end up running-and-gunning with the soldier class. There are things in there like crouching and crawling that imply that this is supposed to be a slower paced, more tactical game where stealth and positioning are important. But they aren't.

Maybe if you spawned in groups (or had some human players to work with) it would be better, but by the time you spawn the bots seem to have grabbed all the vehicles, and it seems tricky to get any bots to hang around long enough to form any sort of squad.

And with the "troop level" meters system, you basically need to get into the lead at the start by having the most control points or you will find it very hard to catch up, meaning that you don't have time to hang around at base to wait for a group or vehicle, and end up running out, killing, dying, respawning. Repeat.

I've also yet to find much of a use for medics, repairs or anything else like that, as your health is low enough that you often go from alive to dead without having a chance to try and get a pilot to give you health.

Flying vehicles seem entirely pointless, hard to fly and only really ANY use against other flying vehicles.

1st person is too low to the ground to give a good view, 3rd person is ok, but the lack of detail on a tv screen makes it very hard to make out individual targets (or sides), and i found myself often shooting at red crosshairs, rather than any particular target.

The SP missions are interesting, but the bots seem to take over in rapid ways. I blew through 3 campaigns in the first sitting. It was so quick that sometimes I would line up the perfect shot, and suddenly....victory!?

Exactly, how annoying is that? You have just trecked halfway across the map, got into position to take a point and then "VICTORY". The SP missions at least should have unlimited reserves, just limited respawn rates, and not end until you get all command points.

Also, what are the point of the objectives? I went out and took out all the droid ships as ordered, but then lost becuase this meant we fell behind on the troop levels, but wipe out allt he enemy and you don't need to get the ships? huh?

--------------------

Still, even with all this, it is quite fun to just run around the battlefield in the wonderfully recreated settings, but it seems to me that the game is designed to be a tactical shooter, but is set up as a UT2004 style run-and-gun game. Its nice, but i'd be annoyed if i had payed for it (or was planning to keep it)

Maybe i'm just missing the point of these battlefield games.... anyone suggest a better place to start?

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

I agree with the grenade toss issue. It would be nice if you could control how far you throw it, but I managed to find a way around that also.

On the PC version, you can sort of control how far you throw it by how high or low you look up/down.

Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak

On the PC version, you can sort of control how far you throw it by how high or low you look up/down.

Your right. The xbox has the same feature, if you stand back and look up, you can toss it farther. I am just used to the controls on Call of Duty/JO/JA where the longer you hold the key, the farther the toss.

Also, anybody fall into the sarlacc pit yet? I haven't but it looks so cool, i almost wish it would grab me, just once so I can see what it is like.

Yes, I am deranged. :p

If you listen to critics, than you're bad. Seriously, I hate critics. Every game that I've liked has gotten a 'bad review' from some fat porker with cheeto stained fingertips and the last time they seen female genitallia was when they were BORN.

Battlefront pwns. You can shoot ewoks AND gungans IN THE SAME GAME!! HOW SWEET IS THAT?!?!?!

Originally posted by Kain

If you listen to critics, than you're bad. Seriously, I hate critics. Every game that I've liked has gotten a 'bad review' from some fat porker with cheeto stained fingertips and the last time they seen female genitallia was when they were BORN.

does that include ppl who five FFX-2 a bad review ! :p

*sigh* I'm gonna have to check this out !

*runs off to annoy ppl who have BF*

mtfbwya

Originally posted by KBell

I'm planing on renting it for the Xbox this Friday.

This game is yet another reason why I must get XBox Live :(

If you buy SWBF on X-Box it comes with a 2 month free subcription card to x-box live.

This is quite useless to me, because I HAVE the service, and am past my own 90 day trial period. If you buy the basic starter kit, it contains a headset, and a 3 month trial. You do NOT need the headset to be connected to "Live", but you DO need it to talk to team mates.

Originally posted by Treacherous Mercenary

I'm waiting for a demo which should have come out earlier than the game in my opinion. Sure I got an Xbox, but I don't have live, it's up to 16 players. I'll simply take PC and hit it with 32 players.

I have already been on servers with 20-24 guys already.

I dunno where your getting this 16 player limit from.

Archived