Home

Death in my immidiate family.

-=DarkZero=-

Originally posted by obi

Only among the good preachers. ;)

Seriously though, 4-wheeling beats skateboarding anyday of the week. Want me to prove it? Let's have a race. Let's climb rocky hills. Let's go through wood paths.

Any time. ;)

I wasnt talking which goes faster, or which handles better terrain, I was simply stateing you need more cordination to learn to do tricks on a skateboard than a 4 wheeler.

Originally posted by TK-8252

But our computers are just metal, plastic, and cords! Imagine if we lost our computers! :eek:

I'd go buy another computer. I just don't understand people's emotional attachments to material goods, unless it's like, something that was given to you by somebody special that died and so it's like losing your last part of them.....that's the only instance I can see getting so upset over something so silly.

well some people are more attached to somethings. I cant believe some of u people mock a guy who pours his heart out over something that mattered a great deal to him. i'm no huge fan of skateboarding but i can relate. Every Feb 19th i observe the passing of my fav vocalist. i was genuinely sad when ensiferum's singer left earlier this year. and i was close to shedding a tear when a black metal originator died. Music moves me and is one passion i have, thus when something bad happens in music that matters to me, i feel bad. the same as how some people miss their skateboards, or a favorite vehicle, or a piece of jewelery or clothing. to many people a skateboard isnt just a piece of wood, the same way songs aren't just 1's and 0's on a CD to me, or a pet isnt a carbon based mass of self replicating cells.

Originally posted by acdcfanbill

well some people are more attached to somethings. I cant believe some of u people mock a guy who pours his heart out over something that mattered a great deal to him. i'm no huge fan of skateboarding but i can relate. Every Feb 19th i observe the passing of my fav vocalist. i was genuinely sad when ensiferum's singer left earlier this year. and i was close to shedding a tear when a black metal originator died. Music moves me and is one passion i have, thus when something bad happens in music that matters to me, i feel bad. the same as how some people miss their skateboards, or a favorite vehicle, or a piece of jewelery or clothing. to many people a skateboard isnt just a piece of wood, the same way songs aren't just 1's and 0's on a CD to me, or a pet isnt a carbon based mass of self replicating cells.

Hail Quorthon! :(

But a musician cannot be replaced, it was a living breathing person. Sure there will be others but they aren't going to be the same people. Same with pets, pets can be affectionate creatures. A skateboard is a skateboard is a skateboard. Go buy two skateboards that are the same make or whatever and you can't tell the difference between the two, because they were both mass-produced by a company.

Maybe if this was a skateboard that he'd carved by himself out of something I'd be more sympathetic towards it.

Or even if the title of the thread was something like "I'm really sad because my board is broken"

But refering to the loss of a skateboard as a death in your immediate family is just too much.

You had me scared for a minute there!

I can see that you've had a very strong bond with your board, and I'm sorry to hear about what happened. I too know how you feel.

My great grandmother gave me a heart locket inside it said, "My grandaughter, my treasure." I loved it, I never took it off. She meant the world to me, she was the only one who truly understood me, who really listened to me. She passed away in September of 1999. A couple months after she passed, my necklace fell into the sink in my bathroom, and no one could get it out. I felt terrible, I felt truly heartbroken, the only piece of my grandmother I had left was gone.

Don't feel bad. But this means there is a new board you can start memories with as well.

Originally posted by SeleneRayne

You had me scared for a minute there!

I can see that you've had a very strong bond with your board, and I'm sorry to hear about what happened. I too know how you feel.

My great grandmother gave me a heart locket inside it said, "My grandaughter, my treasure." I loved it, I never took it off. She meant the world to me, she was the only one who truly understood me, who really listened to me. She passed away in September of 1999. A couple months after she passed, my necklace fell into the sink in my bathroom, and no one could get it out. I felt terrible, I felt truly heartbroken, the only piece of my grandmother I had left was gone.

Don't feel bad. But this means there is a new board you can start memories with as well.

Now, that's terrible...

I'm truly sorry to hear that Selene :(

Originally posted by Pie™

Now, that's terrible...

I'm truly sorry to hear that Selene :(

Dude, I was JUST going to say exactly that.

:eek:

But yes, I'm sorry to hear that. That necklace can;t be replaced, but his board can.

And I too, am really sorry to hear that Selene.

Isnt it a strange thing when someone gets so attached to a "object"? I'm not saying its dumb, as it has happened to me, its just an odd instance. I think all of us, at a certan point in our lives, have expirienced grief over losing something that is valued to us, and there is always a lesson behind it. Selene made a good point:

But I learned she didn't live on through the necklace she gave me, she lives on in me, her memory will always be with me, even though that neckalce represented her love for me. I know she stills loves me.

Originally posted by ..The Squall..

I loved that deck, I learnt everything, and landed so much with it

This is why he's so attached to it. To a skater the board you learn your tricks on is like a car you learned to drive with, or the instrument you learned to play on. You just get attached to it.

It still doesn't make sense to me. The car I learned to drive on was my moms old car she just sold, and I don't care. The trombone I learned to play on sits in my closet and I think I'd like to sell it...My first tennis racket I learned to play on is in my parents garage, I play with my newest racket, and if it broke I'd go buy another one...I love programming but I have absolutely no attachment to the computer I learned to program on...I don't feel any attachment to my first Xbox that crapped out and died, I honestly can't think of one material thing that I would feel devastated enough over losing it to compare it to the loss of a family member. I've lost close relatives, and I know that pain and loss, but that's because it's an irreplacable person who was important in my life.

Material goods can be easily replaced, human beings cannot.

Originally posted by ET Warrior

Material goods can be easily replaced

yay for consumerism :D Its great that that is how you feel, but there are some of us, a lot of us i would think, that get very attached to our material possesions, im not quite sure why you cant accept that not everyone is attached to the same things you are, maybe u, are WEIRD! :p

Archived