Home

The Official Merged JK4 Speculation Thread!

Floppythegod

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Spider AL

Can't have been that good then. Sabreist & Gunner of equal skill face off... = gunner takes home the gravy.

WD, JaG & DSbr weren't that bad. Trust me I knew the difference between newbie and skilled players in JK.

I played dark only. If you can move and grip, no problem.

...Besides, part of the game.

That's the problem I'm talking about.

I don't blame people for using it, I use it myself.

WD, JaG & DSbr weren't that bad. Trust me I knew the difference between newbie and skilled players in JK.
You can't prove this point by dropping names. I played the same clans and knew the people thereof. WD were mediocre with a few very good players. DSbr were smaller and had a higher overall calibre. Some people accused them of having a bad attitude, but I didn't see it as being any worse than WD's. JaG were... as I recall, JaG were a mixed bag of clanhoppers from WD and elsewhere. So it would really depend on which members of which clans, you managed to defeat and on what terms.

Hmm. Weren't you a member of WD or something Inferno? I seem to remember you posting something about that recently. :D

AND that aside, it's incontrivertably axiomatic. Get two hypothetical people with equal skill in sabres, force powers and also equal skill with guns. Then give one of them a railgun/heavy rep/flechette/conky, and the other one a sabre.

The gunner wins. There is no discussion. Guns give an advantage, especially if the gunner uses absorb. Ooh, how I love absorb.

That's the problem I'm talking about. I don't blame people for using it, I use it myself.
Then why complain about it? One can disable it, mod it out, do pretty much anything. Even stop playing the game.

If people start complaining about aspects of the game, the next thing that happens is that they want it patched. Nothing good can come of this... complaining = evil.

In JK/MotS the saber was high damage and you couldn't change force regentime, you had to pickup powerups like the Force Surge and boosts...

MotS style push only pushed invididual bodies (which you had to target, thus you had to be able to see them and lock on), it couldn't push projectiles. Saber throw (MotS only) was also very slow and there was a good chance of losing it. So really pure saberists had little chance against gunners, which is why the game was played differently.

In JK2 we suddenly had people wishing to play as a "true Jedi" (in their minds) not using anything but the lightsaber in combat.

In JK, people used every weapon, unless they were dueling each other, then they used only sabers. In MotS it was the same way, although the class based option made the Jedi have to rely on the saber a lot of the time (and he had a chance against the non-Jedi who didn't have much Force and against other Jedi he could duel them). But, the Jedi could use the same weapons as everyone else, so a smart player would collect weapons and play just like he would play JK.

Back in the day, maybe 1 out of every 100 players I met actually used saber only in a FFA non-saber only map. And they tended to have the lowest scores.

In JK2 they got rid of Boosts (which gave you back mana instantly) and Surges (give you infinite mana for a short time) and instead gave you Boons (fast regentime for a short period, thus not affecting "toggleable" powers) and Enlightenment (the rest of the unused powers on your side of the Force and neutrals maxed out for a short time).

JA was the same as JK2, except that the Force Powerups are virtually nonexistant. They are extremely rare in maps. This effectively Forces the player to manage force mana wisely. But many servers just eliminate this strategic element of the game by jacking up forceregen so its like you always have a Boon on.

(Now of course I know in both games you could have teammates energize use, but I mean generally)

The saber damage thing is another good point. Damagescale 2 is really what the developers intended for none-duels (in JK2 and JA). By default its just too weak of a weapon.

Yep, almost exactly like real life. After all, the option of taking your opponent out at range, well... that's an almost insurmountable advantage.

It is funny ... well, not quite funny ... but anyway, I'm playing Arcanum right now, and it is one of those 'alternative history' RPG's, where you're in 1885 with the technological revolution of the time, but also in a world full of magic.

And in the game, one of the key stories has to do with the destruction of the former Capital city full of Knights of honor by a bunch of gun-toting n00bs ...

Mike

well lightsaber fighters and gunners are 2 completely difrent types of ppl in the JKA game

its yust like for example Mohaa you don't leave someone standing if there chattin you yust shoot them

well thats also whit the gunners in jka there are not lamers in jka gun land ;)

Originally posted by Prime

Did said knights call the gunners "lamers?"

There was definitely something said about 'fighting without h0n0urz' ... or something ;)

I am surprised at how long a game Arcanum is .... I thought it was another 40-ish hour RPG ... but it keeps going, and going ...

Mike

well lightsaber fighters and gunners are 2 completely difrent types of ppl in the JKA game
Not always... I always enjoyed a good stickfight as well as my usual dose of projectile-launching goodness.

I am surprised at how long a game Arcanum is .... I thought it was another 40-ish hour RPG ... but it keeps going, and going ...
Good, is it? Always on the lookout for a good RPG I am.

If JK 4 is made, and if the developers were smart, they would remake the original Jedi Knight with an updated graphics engine. JK was such a popular game beceause the gameplay kicked ass...something the games since have lacked. Anybody else want to see the old JK make a come back? Im talking force speed baby, faced past action, something that hasnt been the JK games since the original JK. Whose with ME!?!?

JK was a good game at the time.

The idea is worn now.

That's especially true of JK's first person saber, which was drastically superseeded with a thrid person system, along with a bunch of acrobatic moves.

If they remade it, they'd need to have at least as much functionality as say JK2, perhaps add more things and not design the game for rpg'ers, or disabled gamers.

That's especially true of JK's first person saber, which was drastically superseeded with a thrid person system, along with a bunch of acrobatic moves.
Acrobatics aside, you do realise that JK's sabre was used by most people in third person don't you?

I ended up using all weapons with third person in the end. Gave a bigger field of view, and didn't need a crosshair after a while... but I digress.

I doubt we will see another Jedi Knight game. JA fell little short compared to JK2, so unless we have so sort fan letter writting campaign, JK3 doesn't seem all that likely.
What do you mean "fell short"? In terms of sales, or in your own eyes and your own expectations?

I think it was fine.

Originally posted by Autobot Traitor

I doubt we will see another Jedi Knight game. JA fell little short compared to JK2, so unless we have so sort fan letter writting campaign, JK3 doesn't seem all that likely.

They will probably be forced to make a new JK if we protest for one. :p

Archived