Home

Kashyyk inappropriately portrayed (or is it?)

Kashyyyk is a harsh planet with huge trees, canopies, multiple ecosystems, and dangerous predators on the ground. It's kind of like Endor (tree hovels, established platforms).

In the Kashyyyk maps (Islands and Docks), while we ARE given a coastal setting, there are no large trees, no canopies, no predators. Wookiees don't live on the ground. KotOR portrayed Kashyyyk fairly accurately but limitedly.

There should be raised platforms high in the air, vines, huge trees, etc. If you fall off the platforms you should plummet to your death. There should be multiple elevations of constructed platforms in the tree canopies. Instead we're given some cheap attempt at showing Kashyyyk with huts on the ground. It's only a ~30 year difference between Old Republic and New Hope. Kashyyyk is not accurately portrayed in the two maps at all.

Edit: Edited to add a few more vowels ;)

I would too. Anyway, these are coastal areas. I think it's pretty realistic, actually. Just because we have sequoia trees on earth doesn't mean the entire planet is covered in them, and we need to live in them. I'm sure there are large woods with humongous trees on Kashyyyk, only not in the coastal areas...

Kashyyyk isn't Earth.

I think they did a crappy job with Kashyyyk. The person in charge of mapping is an idiot.

Kashyyyk is a planet of forests. Wookiees are even fearful of going to ground level. There are dangerous plants and predators that hunt Wookiees among others.

Plus, the ground level of Kashyyyk is pitch black because the trees block all sunlight.

Originally posted by Cpt. Bannon

wookies

I suppose you didn't read my post. :p

I really haven't seen any of Kashyyyk, so I don't know what to expect. To be honest Kashyyyk is on my least-favorite planets list, right below Yavin 4. I find the map way too hard for Imperials, with all the Wookiee NPC's. It's like fighting two armies at once, but one army doesn't have a Reinforcement Meter or Command Posts. Plus, on the Islands map, it's so dark and the Rebels blend right in, while the Imperials stick out in the darkness like sore thumbs.

The only Kashyyyk map that's decent is the Docks.

I was a little disappointed with Kashyk in Battlefront, but they might display that of how Kashyk looks now?

Remember KOTOR was based thousands of years ago? The land scapes might have changed and the Wookies might have evolved.

I must say the Docks from Kashyk are very beautiful. They show great graphics of what the BF engine can do. Almost like Far Cry.

There are several theories.

One: The maps are at the coast so there just might be villages on the ground. Personally I don't get this.

Two (And personally the one I'm going for) : George Lucas has always F'ed over the EU. He'll most likely create Kashyyyk as he wants. So the planet we see in BF will more than likely reflect the planet we see in Ep3.

Tie Pilot is right. LEC worked along with lucasfilm. I think the kashyyyk you see now, will be like in the movies. The pic on the database isnt as dark etc in KOTOR. And yeah, a lot can be changed. A lot happened to earth in 1000 years as well.

Originally posted by RDX1

Remember KOTOR was based thousands of years ago? The land scapes might have changed and the Wookies might have evolved.

Nope, Kashyyyk is still a forest planet in EU. You can read about it in a bunch of EU books based after RotJ.

George is an ******* sometimes ¬¬

Well considering the Kashyyyk level was designed working off of all of the materials Lucas had that were cannon (created for the next movie) I'd say this game is the most accurate portrayal to date. If you don't think so then produce artwork from the next film that show what is in the game does not match. You think Lucas didn't show them the scenes from Kashyyyk that were done or give them direction on what to create?

Since it isn't featured in a movie (other than the tidbits from Episode III spoilers Lucas may have let them see), all they have to go by is the imaginations of the EU authors and a kid's storybook from the 80's that few remember (and a cartoon matte painting from the Holiday Special if you want to get technical).

That and they probably wanted to differentiate it from Endor for the masses who don't know what the heck this wookiee planet is supposed to look like anyway.

Originally posted by Jaden Malip

When I saw Kashyyyk I was like "Woah, where the hell are the trees?"

I had a similar reaction... especially since I had recently read the description of Kashyyyk as portrayed by Timothy Zahn in Heir To The Empire (part I of the Thrawn trilogy).

Wait,

Lucas invented the star wars universe you all like, and some other doops wanted to make use of that and write something about it rather than finding something new on their own. They take a planet, describe it, and when Lucas describes the planet in his true sw universe its "screw you lucas" ?

Remember it's an entire planet. On Earth we got all kinds of climates and in sw only one. Still it's a damn planet, room enough for trees :p Lucas might leave a continent or two full with trees for the EU..

About the planet we are talking about (I meght get fllammed if I speel it wrond)

I think that the planet since we all said it had multiple ecosystems that it will have many huge forests and some other costal areas (and to all who says that EU is awsome or whatever EU woulden't be around with out Lucas so WTF are you talking about)

So I stand by psych0fred, ki_itick, Alegis, Tie Pilot, RDX1, and any others who think that "the planet" can be however lucas wants it!!!

BTW StarWarsPhreak your a jerk and I don't care if you are a moderator!

Archived