Home

Long silence

lukeiamyourdad

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a Scholar of Star Wars. That means I know just about everything about it. Knowledge of Star Wars is the only thing I claim to be an expert of.

I am a Student of Film and Television, Linguistics and Drama. This means I've studied them at length in at University. I don't claim to be an expert but I do know more than the average Joe.

I am a Professional Software Developer. This means it is my job to design, write and implement software. As such I have a pretty good idea of how software companies work, though again I'm not an expert.

I hope that clears up what I am and am not an expert of.

Vostok you are a very busy person. I wish I was an expert at something. I know more about Star Wars than the average Joe, but I am not an expert. I can hold my own in these forums though and I have given most folks here good run for their proverbial money. I still have much to learn, but I have found that I am full of surprises. Sometimes, I've even amazed myself.

Do you guys ever do that? Sneak in lines from Star Wars into a conversation just to see if the person notices? I do it to my wife and kids all of the time and it drives them nuts.

Anyway, sorry for getting sidetracked there. Being an "expert" and well versed in a subject are two very different tings but are both to be commended I think. I there are fields of study that one enjoys then I say spend time in them and pursue them and share your knowledge with others, that's why you make the time for those areas.

Good job Vostok, way to go.

Besides, it's not bragging if it's the truth.

I think Vostok should clarify about what Star Wars he knows. I'm very sure I know more EU than he does. Just like he knows basically everything about the movies that I don't know.

And don't start with this EU isn't Star Wars crap. It's not "canon" but it is in the chronology... or something.

¬¬

Well actually in the case of Episode 3 EU will be vital because i've quoted it somewhere else but i'll give the genral gist not only has George aprroved of a new wave of EU he's given it it's blessing because He is restricted to blending EP 1 and 2 to 4,5 and 6 so he can't put in a whole lot about the clone wars so the Novels need to fill in that gap as well as explain why General Grevious is such a fearsome enemy.

Vostok do you claim to know most things in there subjects and star wars i'm wondering?

Phreak: Naturally as a Purist when I say I am an expert on Star Wars I am talking about the movies, the only true Star Wars. To me there is Star Wars and Star Wars EU, to others there is Star Wars Movies and Star Wars EU. So to clarify, I'm an expert on Star Wars Movies.

Nairb: Indeed I'm always using Star Wars lines in conversation. When I haven't done something for a while I'll say "I've not done that since, oh, before you were born" which usually raises the eyebrows of whoever I'm talking to.

Vostok do you claim to know most things in there subjects and star wars i'm wondering?
Please rephrase into a grammatically correct sentence so I can understand what you are asking.

Well, GL use to be very wary about the EU. I heard a story of when Tops trading cards made a card of "Yodas" that had a lot of information about his species on it with several other beings just like him on it. Evidently GL had a major "cow" and the card was never produced. Now he seems to be holding its hand at least with the prequels. He brought in Aeyla Secura from the EU, he didn't create her and that's odd for GL. Unless he has a thing for blue women.

Originally posted by DK_Viceroy

Vostok do you claim to know most things in the subjects which you claim to be a scholar of?

Well yes, since the only thing I claim to be a Scholar of is Star Wars, and I know everything about Star Wars (movies).

Nairb, indeed for the most part George Lucas rejects EU. Yet there is the odd case of one or two things he has taken from the EU:

1) Aayla Secura (the blue female Twi'lek Jedi)

2) The name Coruscant

and possibly some others I can't think of right now. But these elements are fairly minor and are not wholly created separately from George Lucas; Lucas certainly created the Twi'lek race, and the inclusion of a nameless (within the movie) Twi'lek character is entirely acceptable. And since Lucas had already created the concept of a planet-wide city for the Imperial Capital in early drafts of Return of the Jedi, only the name Coruscant is not his creation.

Well, as far as i know there are three EU things Lucas put into the films.

1. Aayla Secura - apparently he saw her on a comic or something and though she was great, hence her appearance in Ep2

2. Coruscant - while Lucas already had the concept of a planet-wide city before the prequels, the name came from Zahn

3. Outrider - in both the 97 VHS and 2004 DVD editions of ANH, you can see the Outrider from 'Shadows of the Empire' leaving the Mos Eisley Spaceport

Like I said earlier though in the case of EP 3 the EU will be vital in explaining several things about the clone wars. In this respect i feel sorry for GL because he has to do loads of chazracter development to link the PT to the OT when i can imagine loads of people would rather see a few battles from the clone wars instead and then have some character development happen there.

and what about the other things you said you did do you claim to know everything or most things about those?

GL is developing General Grievous's character in the Boba Fett Scholastic Book series after introducing him the Clone Wars cartoon. I think that's a lot of fun, or at least a big tease. Its an odd move for him, unexpected, but no matter. It is what I believe all a part of his marketing genius.

Here is a new super character that will undoubtedly woo the fans and leave them breathless and wanting more. What does he do, wet their appetites and begin the ringing of Pavlov's bell, which in the Star Wars realm is the EU for many people. Say what you will about Lucas' movie making, but I admire his business sense and handling of his little Star Wars empire he has created. He is his own Emperor.

Like I said earlier though in the case of EP 3 the EU will be vital in explaining several things about the clone wars.
I wouldn't say "vital". EU will do as it's always done, fill in the less important gaps. There is no doubt that Episode III will be self contained; you won't need to read a single word of EU to figure out what's going on. Sure, it doesn't show the complete battles of the Clone Wars, but the fact is the characters are the important part, not the battles.

and what about the other things you said you did do you claim to know everything or most things about those? [/b]
Read my post again, it's all explained there quite clearly what I am and am not an expert of.

All of the movies stand without the EU, and ROTS will be the same. In contrast, the EU is nothing without the movies. Don't get the proverbial cart before the horse here. EU is fun, don't get me wrong, and it gave us all something to do during that 20 some years of Star Wars silence before we all went back in time. We all should be thankful for the EU because the proceeds from it helped GL finance his little venture into the Prequels, so it has served its purpose regardless if any of us like it or not. It has also helped to generated many more fans and has helped to sustain the "fanship" of others with short attention spans and little imaginations. It has also added to the entertainment of those with a vivid imagination, long attention span and to those that lack a social life (I cringe at the Star Wars geek stereo types, and I am offended by them, it is a form of discrimination)

The movies started this Empire but they certainly will not sustain it. After ROTS, EU will be all thats left accept it or not but it is the truth.

I don't think Greivous will play a huge role they have alot more to do then introduce a new character who has really nothing to do with Anakin's transformation to the darkside.

We all should be thankful for the EU because the proceeds from it helped GL finance his little venture into the Prequels
Just clearing something up here. EU did not help George Lucas fund the prequels. The three original Star Wars made George Lucas a multi-millionaire, with ticket sales and merchandising combined. This was before any serious EU was developed as part of the merchandising. Also, since he owns some of the most successful companies in Hollywood (THX, ILM, Skywalker Sound, etc) he is not going to be short of extra cash. Finally, a large part of the money for The Phantom Menace came from the Special Edition releases (and in turn The Phantom Menace helped fund Attack of the Clones, and Attack of the Clones helped fund Revenge of the Sith).

So while I understand that EU is fun, don't for one second think that Star Wars as a whole owes anything to it.

I don't think Greivous will play a huge role they have alot more to do then introduce a new character who has really nothing to do with Anakin's transformation to the darkside.
Well I have a theory about Greivous that makes him more than just a new character, and indeed if I'm right he will have a lot to do with Anakin's transformation. I won't reveal my theory though in case I'm wrong :p

Archived