Home

Speculation on Telltale's 'secret' license

jp-30

Well, given the news stories, it's only fair that we work ourselves into a frenzy and speculate on the hinted at license, setting ourselves up for huge disappointment when it turns out to be nothing like we'd imagined.

As you'll have noticed there's a blurred out silhouette on the 'products' page at telltalegames.com.

We can jump to conclusions and assume it's a lead character from the forthcoming game.

So, I took the image to my CSI buddies and we ran it through 4 different image-enhancement algorithms. Here's what we discovered.

shhhhhhh2.jpg

Actually, I'm semi serious regarding the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie. I even suggested it on their blog back in July.

That blurred thingy is Max, no doubt about it, Max, with what seems deliberatly removed bunny ears. I think i remember seeing Max somewhere in this pose, if i could find it, then remove his ears, i bet the end result wouldn't be much different from this blurred image.

Originally posted by VoodooFX

That blurred thingy is Max, no doubt about it, Max, with what seems deliberatly removed bunny ears. I think i remember seeing Max somewhere in this pose, if i could find it, then remove his ears, i bet the end result wouldn't be much different from this blurred image.

I doubt the blurred one if Marvin from THGTTG. The silhouette seems a buit too happy... then again, it is just a silhouette.

Seems to be Max's classic pose.

A new theory on adventuregamers.com thinks the figure could be Fone Bone from the 'Bones' comic series.

The telltale 'community' page has a link to boneville.com too, interestingly.

Anyone familiar with this property?

I've seen a few of the Bone comics, years back...it's pretty good, but from the comic I saw, at least, I don't see how it would translate to an adventure game. But that shadow does look like Bone--the shape of the head is all wrong for Max, even with his ears removed.

Not only does it look like the guy, but if you re-read the statement...

If you've enjoyed any of the products we've helped create in the past, you're sure to love this one

That is the key line that makes people think it's a ex-LucasArts licence like Sam & Max or Monkey Island.

Really, if you read it properly it's just suggesting that it's going to be a funny, imaginative adventure game.

The other bit...

we can tell you it's something many of you already know and love

Means it's a licence rather than an original product. That's it.

Taken together (as all of us have done) with the quote above, it suggests a LucasArts franchise, but in reality the two are separate points.

Don't hold your breath for Sam & Max 2.

While I'm 90% sure the new game won't be Sam & Max, the rights to those characters lie with Steve Purcell, not LucasArts. So if any previous LucasArts game characters have a fighting chance of release via a different company, it's Sam & Max.

Still, I'm equally excited for some new characters and plots in that 'classic' LucasArts style as I am for the reappearance of old characters.

I'm also looking forward to developments from Autumn Moon's Vampyre Story. :-)

jp youre not entirely correct. the liscense for sam and max now lie with lucasarts, for the time being, theyve still got the rights for it for another couple months... should be no longer than about april i believe when they lose it, or they could offer to renew it, but i laugh thinking about that.

so that could be why ttg couldnt talk about it, cause they are secretly working on the game, without having the proper legal work to do it, but hey, im sure that steve purcell would sell them the liscense. to a company who cares.. that can go a long way.

The body definitely looks like FoneBone or one of the Bones, anyway. But the Bones have big noses. This silhouette doesn't seem to have any visible nose. The head does look like Casper. Perhaps they're going to make a Casper game (based on the original cartoon rather than the movies). Although, I'm not sure Casper is necessarily a licence we all "know and love". I mean, I'm sure we all know Casper the Friendly Ghost, but I'm not sure how many of us love Casper. We might "like", "respect", or "tolerate" Casper, but unless I heard it was going to be an exceptionally great game, I doubt a Casper game is something I would get extremely excited about. So I doubt it is Casper.

Like how I both introduced and completely shot down the same possibility in one post?

That's really cool. So they do plan to attempt Sam & Max in the future. Also, it's good to finally hear the actual month that LucasArts' right to hold Sam & Max expires, rather than mindlessly speculating.

I guess Telltale won't be able to continue Freelance Police when the time comes to develop, but will have to build a new game. In the meantime, I'm really looking forward to the creepy caveman game.

Originally posted by daltysmilth

The body definitely looks like FoneBone or one of the Bones, anyway. But the Bones have big noses. This silhouette doesn't seem to have any visible nose. The head does look like Casper. Perhaps they're going to make a Casper game (based on the original cartoon rather than the movies). Although, I'm not sure Casper is necessarily a licence we all "know and love". I mean, I'm sure we all know Casper the Friendly Ghost, but I'm not sure how many of us love Casper. We might "like", "respect", or "tolerate" Casper, but unless I heard it was going to be an exceptionally great game, I doubt a Casper game is something I would get extremely excited about. So I doubt it is Casper.

Like how I both introduced and completely shot down the same possibility in one post?

Did Caspar had legs anyway?

Archived