Home

FindRefs Utility (Latest version: v4.4)

tk102

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FindRefs GUI v2.1 released.

- Added ability to search TLK file references

I added a separate scrolling TextBox to the right of the Listbox to contain the references found. In the case of Dialog and Descriptions, this was necessary to preserve the readability of the results.

I'd recommend uninstalling the old version of FindRefs GUI if you have one. Probably will work either way, but it's safer.

Yay! 1000 posts! 950 of them on this forum!

• 2 months later...

The command line version of this utility has been updated to v3.0.

Two new option switches have been added.

-2 This switch will tell Findrefs to search for TSL files instead of KotOR files.

-f This switch tells findrefs that what follows is a file pattern that will be searched from instead of searching the entire gambit of game files. This can be useful if you know for example that you want search a particular .erf, .rim, or .bif file. Because this switch accepts a value, it should separated from the other switches like so:

findrefs -AqP2 killblaster -f *.bif

The GUI version has not been updated yet to support TSL. I expect to have it updated within the week.

Originally posted by tk102

The command line version of this utility has been updated to v3.0.

Two new option switches have been added.

-2 This switch will tell Findrefs to search for TSL files instead of KotOR files.

-f This switch tells findrefs that what follows is a file pattern that will be searched from instead of searching the entire gambit of game files. This can be useful if you know for example that you want search a particular .erf, .rim, or .bif file. Because this switch accepts a value, it should separated from the other switches like so:

findrefs -AqP2 killblaster -f *.bif

I guess I should have waited a hour or 2 before crafting my newbit at RPGdot.com. Especially since this is a handy tool.

v3.1 released (command line).

Added TemplateResRef as another searchable field for template files (*.ut*)

This should prove helpful to avoid the problems outlined by Darth333 in this thread.

An example of how FindRefs can be used to detect the potential for overriding other templates by accident can be seen here.

Findrefs GUI v3.1 released

- Added support for TSL files

- Added TemplateResRef as a seached field

- Added NSS files for search/extraction

- Added File Pattern to Search textbox to help speed up search when the resource is known to be in a certain file (wildcards also accepted)

@T7, Mav: Yeah that's on the list. :)

v3.2 (command line) released

- Added -N: search .nss files

- Added -v: view output in color

Note that if you are redirecting the output of the findrefs to a file, you should not use the -v switch becuase nothing will be output.

v3.3 (command line and GUI) released

Command line version

- Fixed a bug where .erf dialogs weren't getting searched correctly

GUI version

- Fixed a bug where .erf dialogs weren't getting searched correctly

- Fixed a bug where .dlg files weren't extracting correctly.

Findrefs GUI v3.5 released

A lot of changes:

- Search is non-blocking (you can interact with the form as you search)

- Halt button added

- Feedback textbox added to show search progress

- Results are now displayed as soon as they are found instead of displaying them all at the end

- Seach Timer added

- Added ability to exclusively search for TLK references (now a radio button selection)

- Eliminated duplicated search of .erf files if file search pattern was set.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

FindRefs GUI v4.2 released

- Fixed a bug where some .bif files were being searched twice

- Fixed bug where some resoruces in models.bif/templates.bif/scripts.bif were being reported as found in multiple .bifs

- Updated findrefs.dll to v4.2 to keep .exe and .dll in sync

- DLL now compiled with ActivePerl 5.8.8

• 5 months later...

v4.3 released

• Added the ability to search and extract .2da files
  • If the search term is numeric and TLK references are enabled, FindRefs will now assume the search term is an index into dialog.tlk and will search files accordingly. (For Dashus)

I've included the VB6 source code for the .exe and the Perl source code for the .dll for those interested. I've discontinued support for the command line utility at this point and have removed its link from swk.com.

Archived