Home

People to whiney about the game?

JediOutcast

Im sure everyone says this but IM THE #1 STAR WARS FAN!!! Anyways..... i notice every person i talk to that has played this dislikes alot of things about this game whether it be:

-Dark Troopers on Endor

-Swithcing Eras around onto different battles

-Vehicles(whether it be speed or weapons or whatever)

-Units

Etc...

Now...i bought the game because im a star wars fan and ive always wanted to play the battles. I could care that theres Droidekas on Endor or that Dark Troopers have the wrong weapon. Im here to have fun playing an awsome game. So why are others playing it then? To to see if its accurate or to have fun?

Lucas arts had to make it as close to star wars as possibloe but also equal on all sides.

I think a lot of people have some valid issues with the game, i.e. small maps, server issues, AI, etc. That's fine as i think those could be definitely worked on and improved to make the game stand up better to games like vietnam and 1942. However, i think the guys that come in and continuosly BITCH about issues that are commonly known and are being worked on are being counter productive. I don't know how many times i have to hear about the MP browser, Jesus. It's been confirmed that the devs are working on the game's problems but the fact is we probably won't see a patch for a few weeks and maybe even a month or so. If you are gonna threaten to return the game continuously, hve some balls and actually do it. Those who actually find some merit in the game and are patient enough to wait are hopefully going to see some major improvment. But to keep complaining when we all know they are working on the problems, what's the point? I could see if they totally ignore the community and not do anything like JA but it seems as though they are listening to the complaints and the rants and suggestions. Patience is a virtue. Learn it.

Personaly i dont have any problems with the game. Maps arent to small or to big there just right. For the flying vehicles they could be bigger but other then that.

My biggest thing that i cant stand or the "REAL" people. I am one of them but i dont complain. Real ones are the kind that cant stand that something isnt accurate and complain about it. Ugh that drive sme crazy.

I pretty much couldn't care less if the battles are 100% accurate. All I care about is that its Star Wars-ish. Like the ships (which they mostly have), the planets (which they pretty much have) and some other stuff that I can't remember right now. Some people keep complaining that it takes loads of shots to down a wookiee - my advice: aim for the head.

It's just kinda annoying that people keep laring off about a pretty decent game. Other people are like I wished this would be like BF 1942, but Star Wars. If you want that, then get the GC mod.

regarding the battles, I think it is perfectly fine to have the Empire vs the Rebels on planets like Geonosis etc. Thats the fun of it. It's like a "What if" scenerio. And frankly who are we to say that there wasn't a battle between the Rebels and the Empire on Geonosis on a later date? There very well could have been.

Now I do agree that the maps are small, but that is really the least of our worries. There will be user made maps coming out soon, so I am sure you can bet on there being larger versions of existing maps being made as we speak, ready for downloading soon!

The technical issues are what is really the issue. But we all know that Pandemic is working on that. So I remain optimistic.

Trust me, LoQ, when those editing tools are released we will see some amazing stuff. I have a few maps in the works right now that, hopefully, when done, will be a lot larger and have lots of room for flying, more vehicles, more everything. Plus if people are able to put new vehicles into the game then i'll integrate those as well.

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden

Trust me, LoQ, when those editing tools are released we will see some amazing stuff. I have a few maps in the works right now that, hopefully, when done, will be a lot larger and have lots of room for flying, more vehicles, more everything. Plus if people are able to put new vehicles into the game then i'll integrate those as well.

two words for you. "Millenium Falcon":D

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden

I can't wait. I was flying around Geonosis is a stolen Geonosian fighter attacking the troops on the ground, seeing the black smoke rising from the crashed ship spawn point, etc. It looked so much like episode II, except the map was so much smaller than the battle in the movie. It took me right out of the game. So i am very much looking forward to a new and improved version!!! :D

Honestly I think the only major complaints people have that have merit are map size (and of course once we have editing tools that will cease to be an issue) and server problems (which we know are being worked on).

I don't get why people complain about flying the starfighters; maybe they control more poorly on consoles but I have the PC version and I have no trouble at all with them. You just have to use the strafe keys for turning and the mouse for just aiming/minor adjustments in your direction, and I usually hold down S a lot to fly slowly because there's not enough time to aim and shoot otherwise, but again once there's more spacious maps available that won't be an issue.

I also haven't noticed any of the outrageous AI behavior that some people claim to have seen; I've certainly never seen a bot jump in a ship and fly around in circles pointlessly.

I definitely hope that you'll be able to make new vehicles. Vehicles are a blast in this game and there's no shortage of awesome vehicles from the movies and EU that aren't in the release for talented modders to create for us.

i think people are too whiney..... i mean yeah its not next generation graphics or anything but its a fun as hell game (i picked it up the other day even though most people said its not worth 50$) i think the gameplay is fun as hell just because of some minor bugs hell if u give them time im sure they will release a patch ffs people its a game ment to have fun :D now go play ;)

I simply love this game.So does everyone else. It's just that we exoected mmore out of the game that's all. And I guess we are a little disappointed with the stuff. But I think everybody likes the game they just talk about the negative side too much.

Okay, the core of the game is very good. The graphics engine is pretty slick, and the mechanics of the game are nicely done. Vehicles are implemented VERY nicely, probably better than any of the other games in the genre. Ragdoll physics, which I think, has in recent years gotten WAY out of hand in games, is used to manical, comically evil results. I LOVE using the ATATs main guns on infantry :vamp1: The PROBLEMS arise when looking at the finishing touches on the game, and it's NOT whining to point out that there are some bewildering deficiencies in the package. I Hope to GOD they either fix them or release the SDK so the community can, because, underneath it all, there's a VERY good game waiting to be played. Some of the more obvious problems:

- Lack of options. This is just inexcusable. No options to set length of games, tickets, win conditions, handicaps, restrict character classes, only piting rebels against imperials, CIS against Republic, among the more problematic things. For a game to have longevity, and repeat playability, it NEEDS to have some way of altering the play conditions. Either fix it, or give the community the SDK to do it.

- AI. You're VERY lucky if you haven't encountered the depths of stupidity the AI is capable of sinking to. Among just SOME of the things I saw in a session yesterday alone:

Clone troopers disembark from a gunship I was flying, IN MID-AIR!

Enemy heroes standing within arms reach of me, and not reacting AT ALL

Clones blindly charging into a continuous hail of fire from shielded droidekas and turrets

Clones piling into a gunship, flying off towards the spire on Geonosis, circling back and landing again at the command post. Honestly, until I saw it yesterday, I'd never witnessed this particular behaviour, but, there it was.

This was just a quick half hour session, but there ARE problems with the AI, and while I realize the main focus of the game is multiplayer, you STILL have to deal with them to some degree even then.

-Online play. "Game experience may change during online play". No ****. We all know there are problems witht he browser, with lag, it seems to be common to most graphically intense games though, so it's probably unfair to fault Pademic too much for it. Still, it would have been nice to just plug and play with the game.

-Virtually identical teams. Although there are 4 armies, they really only seem to be 2. Most classes are duplicated in the enemy class, and certainly in the alternate era army. There are some nice graphical things to separate them, but functionally the rebel sniper works the same as the imperial scout, the stormtrooper works the same as the rebel soldier. More variety would have been nice in the classes.

That I think summarizes the critical problems with the game. There are, obviously some things that would be nice to see fixed as well:

-Map sizes. I'm of the opinion that the map sizes were dictated by the size level the PS2 could cope with. As has been pointed out, the problem with ported games is that they are only as strong as the weakest platform in the port, in this case the PS2. If we get the SDK or community developed tools, the PC version should be easy enough to remedy.

-The ATAT as a transport. Currently the All Terrain Armormed Transport transports exactly 2. You should be able to load up, stomp directly into close range combat and unload a flood of troops. I'd remove them as spawn points though.

-Variety in animation. Pandemic used the same non-linear animation clips for every single character. CIS droids tumble and roll out of the way, exactly the same way stomies and rebels do. The ONLY difference is the droidekas (for obvious reasons). It's functionally not critical, but I find it distracting every time I see the same animation, and applied to classes that just shouldn't move that way.

-Interactive maps. Probably done as a way of reducing lag on MP servers, but the maps are DEAD and static. A surefire way of killing the atmosphere of a game is to have no way of interacting with the environment. It's probably too late at this point, but if the SDK allowed it...

Anyways, this turned into a much longer post than I intended. The point is that it's not whining to say the the game has some serious issues. This is a great foundation for a game. The mechanics are all there, the package is nicely integrated. What's missing is polish to make it a truly classic game.

Sooo...you're suggesting that it's only appropriate to rave about how brilliantly the game turned out in a Battlefron forum? Not sure what your point is. Jeezus, why not just move the whole site to starwars.com? Seriously, if there are some issues, I don't think it's unreasonable to bring them up at the games' initial release. There are problems with this thing, the vast majority are fixable, they affect the repalayability of BF, and should have been taken care of before the release of the game. You can't say people are whiny if they say "This isn't right, and it's affecting my enjoyment of a $50 piece of software".

And besides, how in the hell do you expect Pandemic/Lucasarts to fix the problems if people don't complain about them? How are they to even become aware that certian problems exist? Then on top of that, how are they to prioritize these issues if they don't hear the severity of these complaints? Are we to expect that they will just magicly know and find all of these problems on their own? Are we to depend on their quality assurance department to figure out what needs to be patched for us? The same quality assurance departmet the let all of the bugs slip by in the first place?!?!?! I don't think so. When it comes down to it, It's the squeaky wheel that gets the greasing!

Originally posted by Assassin X

Im sure everyone says this but IM THE #1 STAR WARS FAN!!! Anyways..... i notice every person i talk to that has played this dislikes alot of things about this game whether it be:

Well you can't really blame people..i mean everyone likes to say there likes and dislikes about a game...like me for instance i hate the Rebels...but lol if there were no rebel there would be no one to make dance...So i say if people have problems with a game or the way its played...thats just to bad...Their free to speak their opinions..but who has to listen?;)

Archived