Home

Server Admins, help us beat the FPS cap!

Snowczar

The Battlefront community can beat the 30 FPS cap, this is how:

The fix depends on server admins: they must use /tps in the server command line and set it to a reasonable number i.e. 60 or 70. When set to 60 or 70 that will match the frequency of most displays running at 1152 x 864 or 1280 x 960 etc.

I have been experimenting with my own server and fraps, the command line works, you can get the servers above 30, the problem is that it seems like nobody is trying it. Unfortunately I can't experiment with bandwidth limitations, I do not know how much of a hit on bandwidth performance this causes, I doubt it is significant for the bigger servers.

The FAQ is misleading: in one location it says:

increase max fps to 30 (wont go higher)

" /tps 30"

Yet in another FAQ (same author) it reveals:

Can I increase the max fps?

Yes you can by editing the setup file. It is not recommended to go above 30.

The first quote is simply not true, the second quote shows this, but also shows that they have been discouraging higher settings. Obviously there is a large outcry from people with high performance computers and high performance connections and they want the option. Not only should there be more 60/70+ tps servers (probably ones w/ high bandwidths) people should have the choice. The server browser needs to also be able to filter servers running different tps (or fps) settings. Some people will want smooth, high performance high tps, others might be limited by bandwidth or computer performance and will want the low 20 / 30 tps. Lets not be dumb about this, and offer people the choice! We have seen so often that more options are better, not worse!

just an FYI I did have my server set to 70 and I received a decent amount of complaints about not being able to enter vehicles. I also experieneced this problem after the increase.

Now I have also seen post that state this is due to the 1.00a patch so I uninstalled the patch and reinstalled SWBF and I still had the problem. This is why mine is still running at the standard rate. Which sucks but atleast I can get into vehicles.

This is just my 2 cents.

I agree with Lord that there are performance problems when you go above the standard level of 20. 30 seems to be the most before many people have serious problems.

However If you want to try I suggest you go out and rent a server and set the FPS to any level you want.

...thanks for dropping by

I also noticed the problem entering vehicles, I believe that Lucas Arts is aware of that and that hopefully it will be, and should be addressed. I also noticed that the problem was somewhat minor when compared to the huge performance difference between 30 and 60 fps. I would be willing to make that compromise until a fix for the vehicle entry bug is released.

The 1.00a patch got mixed reviews, I tried it and had worse luck with the server browser, so I reinstalled and am running 1.00 still. And yes, had the vehicle problem, only maybe 33% of the time, it wasn’t overall a big deal. Now it would be a big deal if it goes without getting fixed, and I would say that is a disservice to all of us.

For the other poster, I already have experimented with a 60tps server setting. It is up and running now. Kemcogames.com::60fps. My server is at work, I get a decent connection to it through my cable connection, I have also experimented with a wireless client connection to that server, it seems fine to me. I do not have the interest in spending any money to ‘rent’ a server with more bandwidth, and that is exactly why I am posting here: so that server admins with access to huge bandwidth can try this and set up high performance servers. The over all point is that a lot of people have high end video cards, such as the 6800 ultra or GT that the picked up for Doom or whatnot and they want to enjoy the full performance of their card playing this game. I think it is reasonable for some of these servers to have the higher performance settings to match. What Lucas needs to do is fix the server browser so that people can filter the tps settings, along with ping/ map/ CW GCW etc. and choose which server they want. Do you agree?

The problem that I see with upping the fps is that if your server is going to have issues due to it then no one will play on it.

Of course there are people like us that would and would deal with the minor issues of not being able to enter vehicles. But untill they come out with something that will tell you what servers have a higher fps then others the server admins are just going to get complaints.

Again just my 2 cents and also what I have personally experienced.

You know, I’ve been watching this forum since Battlefront came out and so far I haven’t seem any discussion about server admins trying higher tps/fps settings and their results or the server requirements for higher tps settings. Nevertheless I tried to search and I just tried again and this message returned:

vBulletin Message

Sorry. The search function has been disabled by the administrator.

Perhaps you have a suggestion Mr. Tyrant? I am not going to wade through a bunch of posts that do not seem relevant based upon the tread title. I just now checked a few of the longer threads that might include specifics, but again nothing about high tps experiments and performance. Clearly in the regular non server admin battlefront forum there seems to be an ignorance that tps even goes higher, and since you cannot search for it w/ the current in game server browser I would expect that. I saw your threads about win/linux servers, and the 1.00 ->1.00a thread, nothing about tps, maybe you could point it out?

With regards to the other post, I have seen a few servers that include tps info in the title. Perhaps the community of server admins could try creating a few more servers with high tps and an indication in the title, that would be one way to search for it. I saw one set to 40tps but was unable to join, and one at 50tps, it was full everytime. I know for sure I’ve connected to another one, verified with fraps, that was set to 60 and I had no problems, but they did not advertise the tps setting in their title. Then of course there is my own server, which I haven’t seen any traffic on but I believe it might have to do w/ a weird firewall issue that has us confused. (Pix says the swbf ports are blocked, but yet I can connect from home and I have seen a few others connect)

Why cant we have some admins set up some 60+ tps servers along with some 20/30 tps servers, have the differences advertised, and satisfy everyone?? Clearly, if the tps is clear in the server title, people wont have a reason to complain if their computer/connection cant handle it. Why can’t we as the community give ourselves the choice and help ourselves by labling the servers in the title??

you have a valid point if there is no other way then just putting it in the title that might work. I will run a test this weekend and set my server with a hight tps and see what happens. Worse case it crashes right... :)

But this could be a good work around for people to know what the tps is on the server so if they can not handle it then they can go to a regular server. And I know I would love to play at 1600 x 1200 like I do on BFV

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136468

i imagine that very few admins set their servers up with super high tps is that the higher you go the smaller your potential customer base is...you need a better and better connection and better and better vid card to handle it.

...but again if this is an important issue for you then please rent a server and set the fps to your hearts content, but dont criticize admins for not wanting to.

Nice work LoRdNaTaS, I look forward to trying out your server, let me know what the name/ ip address is so I can join.

Again, I'm not critical of server admins, and I noticed there were a lot of posters in that other thread that wanted to see higher tps servers. It seems like some were ok w/ the vehicle bug, some werent, some had ok performance others didnt. All I'm trying to do is bring this to the community and say hey looks like people are mad about this framerate 'cap' lets figure out a solution. Thanks for the link.

players should be thankful that admins even run servers publically. Currently there are no controls whatsoever (the type that admins are used to with every other game on the market).

Essentially public servers now are being run as a charitable public service.

If players want things to improve and more servers with more options...then go lobby to Pandemic to fix the server and the server tools

Originally posted by [RNGD]Tyrant

players should be thankful that admins even run servers publically. Currently there are no controls whatsoever (the type that admins are used to with every other game on the market).

Essentially public servers now are being run as a charitable public service.

If players want things to improve and more servers with more options...then go lobby to Pandemic to fix the server and the server tools

I agree with you on that.. I think that people should be happy with the public servers that us admin have put up..

Without the capability to rcon the server and not having the capability to kick/ban users is BS in my opinion.

But I also see the other point hence why I will run a test this weekend. I hate having to hit the "W" key when I enter a vehicle due to the fps being set higher then the standard. I also hate that I can not run at 1600 x 1200 but that is something I have deal with for right now. Hopefully in the near future they will release a patch that will fix this issue. But for now I shall run the test see what happens and then I will most likely switch it back to the standard.

We run a 24 hour server and have tried multiple configs

player count / fps settings and other items

Stability being the crucial factor we have found that at

28 players 40fps it seems to stay as stable as possible.

Until Pandemic releases a patch for high FPS and multiplayer counts those players like myself with high end cards like the 6800 & X800 series will have to be satisfied with the 40 or less fps

Gaming-Freaks

As i said in another thread, /tps = ticks, speeding up frame refresh, also causes some probs for actions such as vehicle entering, and the more I play with it, the more it seems to also throw off aiming as well. I still wont run this POS outside a closed test enviroment, so real world testing with bandwidth logging won't be possible unless someone can do it, and keep the darn thing running for more than 3 maps in a row.

---- UPDATE ----

Ok kids I ran the server from Saturday to Sunday 7:12pm PST and these are the things that I noticed....

1. Drop in players on the server roughly by 60%

2. Jumpiness of the game.

3. Issue with getting into the vehicles.

4. Large amounts of complaints from the regular users on the server.

So this is my conclusion:

Until they can fix the issues with vehicles, and the game itself being jumpy in the display.. I will not setup my server passed the set default. I also will recomend that other admins do not mod the tps of thier server due to my expeiecnce. This is the second time I have done this and the results are the same.

I would like a patch to fix these issues due to I would like to run a higher fps but if the server is going to be buggy then there is no point.

Also due to this little test the php version of the stats will not be released this week. Due to the lack of intrest in the server I could not get enough people on at one time to get the system stable. I should be working on it the rest of this week and next weekend so hopefully by the following week I should have a release.

Sorry guys.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

TEST SERVER NAME: -=SITHLORDS=-TPS70

TEST SERVER IP: 64.122.127.138

This will only be up for the weekend. I am only testing right now.

I had it set to 70 and I played 4 games and the dam thing was jumpy as all hell.

Set at 60 now.

---- UPDATE ----

Ok kids I ran the server from Saturday to Sunday 7:12pm PST and these are the things that I noticed....

1. Drop in players on the server roughly by 60%

2. Jumpiness of the game.

3. Issue with getting into the vehicles.

4. Large amounts of complaints from the regular users on the server.

So this is my conclusion:

Until they can fix the issues with vehicles, and the game itself being jumpy in the display.. I will not setup my server passed the set default. I also will recomend that other admins do not mod the tps of thier server due to my expeiecnce. This is the second time I have done this and the results are the same.

I would like a patch to fix these issues due to I would like to run a higher fps but if the server is going to be buggy then there is no point.

Also due to this little test the php version of the stats will not be released this week. Due to the lack of intrest in the server I could not get enough people on at one time to get the system stable. I should be working on it the rest of this week and next weekend so hopefully by the following week I should have a release.

Sorry guys.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archived