Home

Need more "open terrain" maps

After having to play SWBF since the day of its release, I have had the opportunity to play all of the maps over and over again. I have come to the conclusion that I am in favor of certain maps simply because they produce much more teamwork than others, sometimes even on public servers. Now forgive me if I dont quite remember the names of the maps, but many of the "close-quarter" maps just turns out to be one big Team Deathmatch, which in my opinion, is basically like every other game out there.. (Quake, UT, etc. )

Being a long time BF42 and BFV fan, I've always been impressed with the larger scaled maps, so my statement above doesn't surprise me one bit. This BF series of games pretty much mastered these types of map layouts, thus becoming one of the most popular games to date. Moving onto SWBF, there are a few maps that contain more action and fun because simply because of the larger size...a good example is Hoth. Wide-open terrain make for better movement of vehicles, it actually takes time to get to an ensuing battle or even defend cap point when under attack, just overall appealing when it comes to full-scaled battles. Believe me, if you travel in packs and work as a team, the rebels can be victorious on this map. I have been in games where I've seen it happen.

Some of the maps where the theme is based on a space station or the sort, are pretty much the same as the smaller maps.. its simply just a frag-fest and to see who can beat who in score, no matter what team you are on. But perhaps thats what the initiative and the design was for... there is something for everyone, I suppose. I just tend to avoid these though as I am more of a team player than worried about racking up scores or being at the top of the scoreboard.

The smaller maps really just turn into a chaotic mess with lazers and people just running around with no purpose. Sure the object is to capture the cap points, but take a look at people's scores at the end of the game and look at the CP score.. you'll notice that not too many people even attempt to go for the cap points, they just want the frags.

I'm really hoping that if level designers obtain a map editor for this game, we will see more "BF42-like" maps. In my opinion, the battles are more intense and have more meaning to capture command posts instead of running around aimlessly just shooting at everything that moves.

Well, most of the maps are outdoors and wide-open. They just have different structure. Kashyyyk islands (huts, hills, rivers) has varied terrain, Geonosis spire (big mountain, ships for the clones) is open with a large obstacle in the middle of the map, and Kashyyyk docks (two piers with huts) has large structures and platforms to forestall the proceeding of the vehicles to take the CPs. All have a different feel.

There are only two or 3 inside maps: Kamino, Bespin Maps.

I like a lot of the maps, both with inside attributes (Endor has certain central places and not much unobstructed long views) and outside attributes (Hoth is pretty much completely all outside with rolling hills. I LOVE the hall on the Cloud City map.

One of the problems is that it's often very hard to capture a spawn point, especially if it's heavily guarded. The corridors in Cloud City are a good example: I've been in many games where neither side gained the upper hand in the hallway, but many kills were made.

Also, if you get out of your vehicle to capture a point, you run the big risk of allowing the enemy to gain control of your vehicle.

The user made maps are what I have been waiting for. IMHO, these maps (if they ever are able to be made), will be what saves the PC version of SWBF.

As large as the hoth map is, it is probably smaller than the smallest map in BF42 and BFV. Since the PC version of this game is able to host a much much larger amount of players, it really makes these small maps super chaotic and rather annoying to play!

As large as the hoth map is, it is probably smaller than the smallest map in BF42 and BFV.

Not at all. Its about the same size as the medium maps in both games. Being far bigger than Berlin and Stalingrad in BF1942.

Being a longtime player of the Battlefield series, I love open maps. But since battlefront I'm starting to like its style of maps alot better. The action is frantic.

True though, I love the big maps the best I guess. Such as Geonosis and Dune Sea. Still though, Mos Eisley and any other map for that matter doesnt have to be a frag fest if you find a good server. :)

Originally posted by Tie Pilot

Not at all. Its about the same size as the medium maps in both games. Being far bigger than Berlin and Stalingrad in BF1942.

There is abosolutly no way in hell that hoth is "far bigger" than stalingrad or berlin! No way! At most I will say that perhaps Hoth might be the same size as Berlin...MIGHT! But no way it is larger than Stalingrad.

PLease name a small BF42 default map. One that is smaller than hoth. Perhaps you can refresh my memory of a smaller map in BF42

Originally posted by LoQ

PLease name a small BF42 default map. One that is smaller than hoth. Perhaps you can refresh my memory of a smaller map in BF42

Well, he just did tell you, but you disagreed, so don't say he didn't tell you.

I think there should have been some bigger maps. But that's not to say I don't like the maps they have now. Most of the maps are great, but I wish that there were also maps that were huge. I was expecting Geonoisis to be a lot bigger. The small ones I like though. My absolute favorite map is Rhen Var: Citadel. The action is fast.

Also, I love those corridor fights. Sure it's a kill fest, and for a large protion of time it goes nowhere, but it's realistic and fun. It'd be boring if there weren't stalemate fights every once in a while. And fighting for the hallway for several minutes and possibly dying many times makes it much more rewarding when you finally overpower and progress.

I think the biggest reason for the seeming "frag-fest" is the reinforcement count. You can't change it, and the default is so low that capturing CPs isn't necessary.If reinforcements weren't an issue, then you'd be force to capture the CP's to win, but right now it's not even needed. I've played games where my team was being drained of reinforcements the entire time, but I still won because we were killing them so much faster.

Berlin and Stalingrad. :rolleyes:

I might add that Geonosis is a pretty large map as well, and yes bigger than Berlin and Stalingrad.

Originally posted by Tie Pilot

Berlin and Stalingrad. :rolleyes:

I might add that Geonosis is a pretty large map as well, and yes bigger than Berlin and Stalingrad.

Really?!?! I guess i just remember those maps differently. They seemed soooo much larger than hoth

• 2 weeks later...

I read on some review of star wars battlefront that the maps where going to be boaring because they are so big. Wander where they got that idea. Too bad they didn't make any streight out spcae maps like where they blow up the deathstar that would be cool. I'm also wandering why they didn't just make one giant field with 2 pawn points on either side. There could be all types of vehicles and ditches and stuff it would be so great.

Archived