Home

Opinion about Weapons&Units

Pho3nix

Originally posted by mr.piercy

the units and weapon are great and balanced, granted it took a while for me to get used to the fact that u cant pick up weapons but i have decided that this is a pro.

the clone jet pak guy can fly> so his weapon (which is uber powerful) can only fire 2 shots before reloading. MARVELLOUS!

I think I agree... Pandemic had two choices:

1) Make the classes relatively similar, but let their weapons be swappable (i.e. pickup guns left by the dead). OR

2) Make the classes significantly different from each other, making them more interesting.

They went with 2, and I like it. The pilot has a difficult gun, but can dispense health/ammo and repair vehicles. Plus vehicles repair slowly over time as he sits in them. If he could pickup a different weapon pack, it would be unbalancing. Same with the jetpack troopers. Not to mention the difficulty it would be allowing this to happen to a Droideka or Super Battle Droid.

I'm happy with it the way it is, keeps things different from all the other games. And at least the badguys sometimes drop ammo ;)

I think there shouldnt be weapon swapping because the Rebel Marksman has a second zoom on his scope because Rebels usaully use guerilla tactics and if a storm trooper can just go and pick up the Rebel marksmans rifle. whats the point of being a Rebel Markman in the first place.(although if you could pick a Naboo guards Rifle,A Gungans grenades, or and Ewoks spear etc. it would be kinda cool).:cool:What i mean is they made Unique classes so that different factions would have different feel, like in Battlefield Vietnam there are no unique calsses so it dosent matter that there is weapon swithching. Whats the use of being a jet pack trooper for the awesome weapon if a lcone trooper can just steal it once your dead.

The pilot has a difficult gun, but can dispense health/ammo and repair vehicles. Plus vehicles repair slowly over time as he sits in them. If he could pickup a different weapon pack, it would be unbalancing.

Jeez, if they can put in an AT-AT without tipping the balance horribly then why is anyone worried about the a pilot carrying a blaster rifle? It's not exactly a crisis is it? 'OMG there's a pilot with a blaster rifle! Fall back team, we can't win this one!' Remeber both sides could do this so why is the balance upset?

if a storm trooper can just go and pick up the Rebel marksmans rifle. whats the point of being a Rebel Markman in the first place.

The point is you start with a sniper rifle. The stormtrooper can't just go an pick one up. He has to spot a sniper in his hiding place, kill him and run over to his weapon before it disappears. If he can do all that, maybe he deserves to have some options open up for him. If that's still too upsetting for you, then maybe the rifle could be a little harder to use for non-snipers.

I don't understand why some people are so keen to stick rigidly to the classes. Wouldn't it be more interesting to mix things up just once in a while? Wouldn't it give the game more longevity if every combination of class/weapon had its own quirks and features to be discovered and debated?

I play Desert Combat frequently. The classes are very similar to SWBF's classes but you can change your entire class if you find a dropped pack. This causes absolutely no problems with the game yet adds to the diversity. In Counterstrike you find people armed only with a pistol fighting against people with assault rifles, desert eagles, armour, helmets and grenades. Does that mean the game is hopelessly unbalanced? No, it means that every round you could be facing a different kind of challenge.

Originally posted by Flaming Dart

although if you could pick a Naboo guards Rifle,A Gungans grenades, or and Ewoks spear etc. it would be kinda cool.

I wouldnt mind using a tusken raiders blaster rifle for a bit... yet, I agree with the majority.... I like the way it is, my opinion.

NOTE: The rebel pilot's primary weapon is a very good weapon...

Originally posted by hatelull

No. Their reward for living longer is to live longer. Picking up weapons not only kills whatever thin threshold of realism exists in the game

Yeah, because in real life it's very unrealistic to be able to pick up the guns of your dead foe...

Oh wait....

I think limiting every class to their two weapons with no chance of change is ridiculous, and pointless. To me it means the developers were too lazy to brainstorm ways to allow picking up new weapons without unbalancing the game.

Or if we don't want that kind of gun swapping then there should be some sort of inventory system, where you have a choice of several weapon settings per class, similar to the system in Tribes.

In tribes you choose your equipment and then get it equiped at an inventory station, so you can have whatever weapon/pack setup you want, but depending on your armor you have different weapon options, I.E. only the big armors get the big weapons.

Something like that in Battlefront would have made the game more entertaining to me.

Originally posted by shrinker

Jeez, if they can put in an AT-AT without tipping the balance horribly then why is anyone worried about the a pilot carrying a blaster rifle? It's not exactly a crisis is it? 'OMG there's a pilot with a blaster rifle! Fall back team, we can't win this one!' Remeber both sides could do this so why is the balance upset?

The point is you start with a sniper rifle. The stormtrooper can't just go an pick one up. He has to spot a sniper in his hiding place, kill him and run over to his weapon before it disappears. If he can do all that, maybe he deserves to have some options open up for him. If that's still too upsetting for you, then maybe the rifle could be a little harder to use for non-snipers.

RE:

It makes it unrealistic cause a normal Stormy would be lucky to have training at using any other weapons. So the stormy suddenly knows how to use an E-17D Sniper Rifle? or a Rocket launcher??? Now I can see him being able to scope out enemys. Then squeezing a trigger. Cause anyone can squeeze a triiger right? But it would take him at least 5 mins. to reload. If a Stormtrooper could pick up a E-17D then fire until he's out of ammo and not reload, then it might be reallistic. But if a droid picked up a DC-15 which is an anti-Droid weapon and kill a CLone with it, that would be unreallistic. Switching weapons could work out but it would take alot of tweaking and balancing.

The only faction that would be able to steal enemy weapons would be the Rebels. They actually did steal E-11 blaster rifles on Endor, and you could see some Rebel commandos using them.

Imperials would probably get in trouble for using Rebel weaponry, the droids require specialized weapons built to their fingers (plus the programming to use them), and the Clones... eh, they're too military and structured to use CIS weaponry.

Originally posted by TK-8252

The only faction that would be able to steal enemy weapons would be the Rebels. They actually did steal E-11 blaster rifles on Endor, and you could see some Rebel commandos using them.

Imperials would probably get in trouble for using Rebel weaponry, the droids require specialized weapons built to their fingers (plus the programming to use them), and the Clones... eh, they're too military and structured to use CIS weaponry.

That could work. Cause Ewoks did capture and use E-11s on Endor.:ewok: the Clones could't have different weapons cause they were only trained to use certain weapons. Clones are similer to Droids cause they both follow orders unquestioningly.

PS: Do Reb. Assualt troopers and Reb. Snipers both get Disguises, and if they do, do the disguises fool NPC's.

I was mostly talking about different weapon choices in the team, maybe you culdn't pick the other teams weapons, but u could use all of u're own teams weapons.

ok, i dont care about being true to the movies or proper balance between player classes, all i want is to be a clone jet trooper with a f**king sniper rifle, i'd jump from rooftop to rooftop pwning the whole f**king map, fo shizzle!!!!!.:D

you should be able to sling your main weapon over your sholder and pick up another u wanna use. sounds good to me.:D

But then there's no point in the class system. If you could be a Stormtrooper with a sniper rifle, or a Rebel Soldier with a Wookiee Bowcaster, that doesn't make sense with the movies.

The movies had a class system? ; )

Okay, I'm only joking.

Other games have found ways to balance "picking up weapons" but this was just how they decided to do this game, I have no problem with that.

This is just like Team Fortess. There were classes and you couldn't pick up weapons. Eventually everyone got good at one class...I couldn't master the rocket jump but I was pretty good with the sniper rifle. The point is to work as a team. But if you want the benefit of a sniper and a soldier...why not just use the soldier and zoom in? Granted you don't get the distance but you have the firepower to defend yourself in close encouters. Thats where the balance comes in. You can zoom in with all the weapons. USE THE ZOOM!!!

Originally posted by =[GKZ]=Blazin

Umm??? im retarted. could tell me u how you cant change waapnins????:D :D :D :D :D :D :deathii:

uhm, I really don't know what u're talking about...? maybe you should learn some english before subscribing to english speaking forums :fett:

Originally posted by vcdstroyr

This is just like Team Fortess. There were classes and you couldn't pick up weapons. Eventually everyone got good at one class...I couldn't master the rocket jump but I was pretty good with the sniper rifle. The point is to work as a team. But if you want the benefit of a sniper and a soldier...why not just use the soldier and zoom in? Granted you don't get the distance but you have the firepower to defend yourself in close encouters. Thats where the balance comes in. You can zoom in with all the weapons. USE THE ZOOM!!!

yah i still agree with the class thing, but it would be handy if u could pick up other guns on the ground too.

yah i still agree with the class thing, but it would be handy if u could pick up other guns on the ground too.

i think that the best way to fix the weapon problem was already used in halo. for example if i wanted to trade in my 1st primary weapon i kill the guy i who has that weapon and i drop my 1st primary to take his. that way you dont have a ton of weapons to cycle through and your not out gunning everyone else...still would be cool if ya could duel wield the pistols :D

zooming is fine, but as soon you start shooting over large distances with a DC-15 blaster rifle you'll note that they aren't that good sniper rifles at all, because there aren't exactly very precise.

Obviously snipers can zoom in further then other troops, and the laser ire of troops is to slow and doens't enough damage to instantly kill someone at great distance.

How many have you sniped with an assault rifle?

I tend to agree with the opinion of, what appears to be, the majority of older members posting in this thread. And that is, in order for the class system to make any sense, then there needs to be something to differentiate them. If you can have whatever weapon you want, then we may as well just have team death match, and be done with it. Personally, I don't think that would be as much fun.

The classes force you, as a player, to make choices. You can't have it all, so you need to decide what's more important for the map at hand. Are there speeders or vehicles that you plan to use on this map? Then maybe you want to be a pilot for this map. Or, if the other team has vehicles and you don't, then maybe you need to be a class with a rocket launcher. Is this map focused mainly on close-quaters combat? Then you'll want to be a soldier. Is this map without vehicles, but combat at long range? Then perhaps a sniper is in order.

Don't you see what would happen if people could pick up whatever weapons they wanted? People would either kill themselves, or have their buddy kill them, then respawn as a different class, and pick up their dropped weapons. The result is that everyone would pretty much be the same, and that's what's not fun.

Originally posted by DogGy

Ey! the rebel pilots cannon isn't useless.

You only don't know how to be good with it.

The Rebel Pilot is my new favorite class... that shotgun thing will kill most people in one hit if you are close enough.

The reason with a TEAM game is that everybody has their tasks.

In BF1942 it worked to change weapons because you changed the class too. In Battlefront that wouldn't work because the classes are too different. That's what I like about this game.

Each class should have a small variety of weapon sets to choose from, like in Battlefield Vietnam. Most of the weapons in Star Wars Battlefront are blaster this and blaster that...just different rate of fire and color.

Things I'd like to see:

E-Web Repeating Blaster a tripod mounted blaster that needs to be set-up to use.

Beacon a deployable beacon used to call for assistance which can be seen by anybody on the player's team

Originally posted by Mountainforest

zooming is fine, but as soon you start shooting over large distances with a DC-15 blaster rifle you'll note that they aren't that good sniper rifles at all, because there aren't exactly very precise.

Obviously snipers can zoom in further then other troops, and the laser ire of troops is to slow and doens't enough damage to instantly kill someone at great distance.

How many have you sniped with an assault rifle?

Well, i donno about you guys but i've sniped a great many enemies with a blaster rifle.

my fav has to be the rebel one next would have to be the clone trooperz.

If u know how to lead them right you'll can kill anything in your range.:D :D

Archived