Home

'Playable Jedi' Debate (merged, no flaming)

Darimus

Do you think it would be cool to have playable Jedi?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it would be cool to have playable Jedi?

• YES ! I want to be a Jedi wah wah wah
    • NO ! This game is for the grunts only
    • I really don't care

I read everyone's ideas on how jedi are so terrible, etc, etc, and that it would be impossible to balance... but in a matter of seconds, I came up with a good idea.

1 Player is a Jedi, and the teams are either FFA or like everyone vs the jedi, most likely the latter. The player who kills the jedi (and the jedi won't be invulernable), would become him. This way there would only be 1 Jedi during the game, and it would be like a hunt of the jedi.

If you are going to repeat the same opinions on Jedi lots of you have already done... then don't do it here ;)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there were mod tools, a sufficiently talented person could make a good jedi system... and they wouldn't need a huge team in my opinion either... theres already a few jedi models in the game (obviously) and the heros can be used as a basis for how it will work besides their invulernability.

And as I can see, "TK-8252", you're a stubborn person and won't ever change your opinion... so refrain to replying to this unless you have something intelligent to say that doesn't represent the fact that you're just trying to stand up for the fact that you don't want jedis.

=-(edit)-=

what do bots have to do with this at all? O_o

This is strictly a game giving you a perspective from the soldier's point of view.

If you want Jedis along with guns and stuff, Either go buy Jedi Knight II (it's bout 20 or so dollars now) or Jedi Academy (likewise).

If you want further info on those games...google it.

Originally posted by Darimus

And as I can see, "TK-8252", you're a stubborn person and won't ever change your opinion...

Why should I? Jedi in Battlefront is one of the suckiest ideas - as we've seen from recent threads.

so refrain to replying to this unless you have something intelligent to say that doesn't represent the fact that you're just trying to stand up for the fact that you don't want jedis.

Hmm... you don't have the authority to tell me to do this. And everything I have said is intelligent... the only unintelligent posting here is posts saying to have playable Jedi.

Yet another thread of a Jedi fanboy complaining about the lack of Jedi. This has been done to death. Give it up!

Heh I was getting a bit bored with the gameplay... only thing still fun is using the jetpack, and playing with the CIS.

I usually do pretty good on whatever server, unless theres like 50 people, so "leave this game for the gunners" doesn't really do much there.

And if you read what I said, there would still be gunners, which you probably just skimmed thru ;)

Jedi can be balanced, look at Jedi Academy Siege mode.

Granted, I can understand their not wanting to code in controllable Jedi. That's a lot of extra work... Force Power System, Acrobatics, Saber physics, etc.

As is, they are just bots with no-range insta-kill weapons that are indestructable except from kill-pits and being run over and the added ability to block/push back projectiles that hit them directly.

It's much easier to add guns to a Jedi game, than it is to add Jedi to a guns game.

The JK series does a great job of blending the "guns" with sabers & force both online and off, so yes, I highly recommend them.

If mod making is ever allowed and figured out for this game, making a simple "Jedi Class" (with limits on who many and how often they could be used per team) wouldn't seem to be that hard, but making it on the level of the JK games? Heh, it'd be like writing a whole new game. Good luck!

o_O that kinda shocked me for a sec there, an intelligent post...

but anyways, I don't think i'd mind something with just a lightsabre, and a bit faster speed/jumping (acrobatics), and a way to deflect shots... I wouldn't need force powers (But they would be a nice touch)

And like I just stated, I wouldn't expect too much other then just the functionality...

Originally posted by Kurgan

Jedi can be balanced, look at Jedi Academy Siege mode.

Sorry, but Jedi Academy Siege is horribly unbalanced. Especially the Jedi, who just reflect/push everything, and then charge with their lightsaber or throw-spam. Even MovieBattles II Jedi are unbalanced, and when everyone picks the Jedi class and I ask why 3/4 of the server is Jedi, they say "because Jedi are overpowered."

Originally posted by TK-8252

Sorry, but Jedi Academy Siege is horribly unbalanced. Especially the Jedi, who just reflect/push everything, and then charge with their lightsaber or throw-spam. Even MovieBattles II Jedi are unbalanced, and when everyone picks the Jedi class and I ask why 3/4 of the server is Jedi, they say "because Jedi are overpowered."

I strongly disagree that the Jedi in Siege are unbalanced, but that's beyond the scope of this discussion, so I'll agree to disagree. If you want to argue that, head on over to the JA forums, though it's been beaten to death already I think.

How many times are there going to be topics created on the "Why can't there be Jedi in SWBF" thing??? We have seen this a million times already.

Every single topic starts off the same damn way with "Whats wrong with having Jedi in the game? I think it would be cool if there were and this is how it could be done blah, blah, blah", only to have an overwhelming response by the vast majority of people shooting it down, telling the original person who created said topic, that this game is for the grunts and ground pounders of the Star wars universe and not Jedi, and if you want to be a Jedi to go play Jedi Academy or Jedi outcast, blah, blah, bla!

Well this post is yet another one...IF YOU WANT TO BE A JEDI GO PLAY JEDI ACADEMY OR JEDI OUTCAST! Both of these games mentioned are incredibly fun and have a very active online community (I myself was very active in JA and JO and belonged to clans in both)

Here's a suggestion, as a goof in the future instead of creating yet another topic asking "Why can't Jedi to be included in SW:BF"...DON'T!!!! Instead why not just reply to the 200 already existing threads asking "Why can't Jedi be included in SW:BF"? I know it's crazy and revolutionary to simply reply to an existing topic. But try it out. It might just work and it is a hell of a lot easier!

Oh and one last thing. Regarding telling "TK-8252" (and I quote) "refrain to replying to this unless you have something intelligent to say that doesn't represent the fact that you're just trying to stand up for the fact that you don't want jedis." Wow, that is just plain out B.S.!!! You can not dictate what he or we can or cannot say. You can't command the people who disagree with you to not reply! If you had this power (and you don't) this topic would be very quiet and would be on the bottom of the topic list by now. Because once again the vast majority of people have stated that we don't want Jedi in this game. We have before and we will continue to do so to all future threads asking the same thing again!

So count me in as yet another person who has ignored your "command" to not respond because "I am repeating the same opinions on Jedi that lots of us have already done!" I guess your dictatorial power doesnt reach into my jurisdiction! Go figure

Heh I was getting a bit bored with the gameplay... only thing still fun is using the jetpack, and playing with the CIS.

I'm sorry I'm not board with the game I'm perfectly happy with it. (some things could be better) If I want to play a Jedi or Battlefront with Jedi I play JKA Siege. It is basically the same.

I usually do pretty good on whatever server, unless theres like 50 people, so "leave this game for the gunners" doesn't really do much there.

It does more then enough for me. JK games have groups of mostly Saber users that hate people who are better with guns then they are with their glow sticks. Most JK servers are Saber only. So I think the majority of people who liked to use guns have flocked to this game. We like Star Wars, guns, and this is just what we want. We don't need no Hokey religions or ancient weapons. We just want a good blaster by our side. Thanks.......

And if you read what I said, there would still be gunners, which you probably just skimmed thru ;)

And if you read what the majority of people responding to your post are saying. There are perfectly good games already that do a very good job with simulating Jedi and still have guns. In JKA there is a siege map with no guns and all Jedi and 2 mix maps with 1 Jedi class per team.

The problem here is most of us are already well played in Jedi Knight games. We have been their and done that. As for you, you just seem to be popping on seen and wondering why nobody wants to play a Jedi in this game.:rolleyes:

It's just been "done to death" and most of us are tired of it, and associate Jedi with crybaby players that cry lamer every time you kick there ars in a game with a gun. In JK you need to know how to use both well or your just going to get your butt beat and then some people want to pretend to be Jedi Masters. Everyone knows you are not suppose to be able to kill a Jedi Master with a Rocket launcher. lol

There is also "Republic Commando" coming out and guess what you don't play a Jedi in that either.;)

Ok look, if one of you fanboys wants to put a team together to make a 'jedi mod' to this game, go right ahead. Don't expect the entire community to embrace it with open arms. If you REALLY feel the need to put jedi in this game - then go to town on it when the mod tools come out.

Jedi were not included in this game because it's already been done numerous times and has been done rather well. It's my opinion that jedi don't really have a place in this game - I think even the NPC jedi that are in some game modes and servers wreck the flow of the game. Many people are here playing this game because it's something different from the SW franchise that isn't jedi-centric.

So back to my initial point, if you can't live without jedi in this game, then do it yourself, and please, do it quick, so that y'all can have your jedi orgy and leave the rest of us in peace.

The fact is that the Jedi in SWBF are absolutely pathetic (and appear to be bugged and unfinished, since they don't behave at all as they were described as in the previews).

To make them usable in this game would require an awful lot of work on the part of the developers, since they obviously never planned to make them usable at the start and they barely had enough time to release a playable game, much less one with such an advanced feature.

There is nothing wrong with having playable Jedi in this game, I just don't think it's going to happen due to the amount of work required for a feature that wouldn't be used very much.

For once the "well if you want to do ____ go play ____" isn't so fallacious in this case, so take their advice. ; )

If Mod making were allowed and possible, there would be nothing stopping people from creating Jedi mods, and that would be fine. But since that isn't yet possible, we could ask Pandemic to do it in an expansion or something.

Having a bunch of Jedi classes (like Siege Korriban in JA) wouldn't be bad, and they could be balanced with the others. But again, it's so much more work that it would make more sense for an expansion or sequel, not something to just toss into the next patch. They've got enough problems to fix as it is, they just probably won't have time.

Unfortunately some people have (from certain trends they followed) the impression that "Jedi" in a game have to be there for one thing, and one thing only, saber dueling and/or role playing. Since this game is about armies fighting each other, such a type of gameplay would be completely out of place. As is, there is only one "game mode" for BF, and that's UT style Domination with a couple things thrown in like reinforcements (team "lives") and a destroyable headquarters object that may or may not help you and takes forever to take down. There's no deathmatch, no CTF, etc.

Jedi can be used in a game, they just may not conform to some people's preconcieved notions of what Jedi "ought to be." As of now they don't add a whole lot to the game, but if they were patched they could be better. But playing as them is another matter entirely. If it were done right it could be fun, I just don't see it happening.

Originally posted by Schetter

Ok look, if one of you fanboys wants to put a team together to make a 'jedi mod' to this game, go right ahead. Don't expect the entire community to embrace it with open arms. If you REALLY feel the need to put jedi in this game - then go to town on it when the mod tools come out.

Jedi were not included in this game because it's already been done numerous times and has been done rather well. It's my opinion that jedi don't really have a place in this game - I think even the NPC jedi that are in some game modes and servers wreck the flow of the game. Many people are here playing this game because it's something different from the SW franchise that isn't jedi-centric.

So back to my initial point, if you can't live without jedi in this game, then do it yourself, and please, do it quick, so that y'all can have your jedi orgy and leave the rest of us in peace.

That's the thing. If there were tools and editing was allowed, this would be a moot point.

Personally I don't think the Jedi add or subtract anything because they are so worthless. I have yet to play a battle where the Jedi were any kind of deciding factor. Sure they kill a lot, but only against those who try to fight them on foot (ie: bots). They're pathetically easy to kill if you have the right vehicle, and they're pathetically easy to avoid.

I don't think people are playing this game to get away from Jedi. Rather they are playing this game because it is completely different than any Star Wars game released thus far... a "war strategy" FPS, like BF1942.

It's not as deep or polished a FPS as say Jedi Academy or Jedi Outcast, and it's not as polished a strategy game as say Galactic Battlegrounds, it combines elements of both into its own game.

I just don't buy the idea that Jedi are antithetical to having a fun Star Wars multiplayer game. One of the main reasons people object to Jedi is their idea of what constitutes "canon." Ie: it's the same argument people make when they see Dark Troopers on Hoth or anything they didn't see in the movies. But even so, Jedi did fight in the Clone Wars, and never restricted themselves just to dueling other Jedi in honorable combat, so in story terms they have no ground to stand on. In game terms its just a question of balance. But its far easier to make them AI only than to make them usable for players.

I'd love to be able to play as Gungans and Ewoks too, but that's a pipe dream unless mod tools are released and sanctioned.

I don't want to unload my whole clip on a Jedi just to have my shots reflected back at me by some fanboy who must wave a glowstick.

One major reason I got this game is so Star Wars gunners can have gun fights without being interrupted by Jedi - forcing you to retreat, wasting your ammo to be reflected right back at you, Force pushed down and rendered helpless, etc.

"Jedi could be balanced." Well, maybe, but I don't think so. Example of modded Jedi: MovieBattles II. Horrible overpowered Jedi. 3/4 of the players on MBII servers choose the Jedi class simply because they can't stand a chance as a gunner against a Jedi. Completely ruins the battle for everyone, and not to mention isn't canon. This could happen to SWBF too.

Originally posted by Kurgan

I'd love to be able to play as Gungans and Ewoks too

Why? :p

Archived