Home

2d or not 2d

jtsword

what would you like monkey island to be in?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. what would you like monkey island to be in?

• 2D
    • 3D

ive played games on the pc like the monkey island series and the broken swords, and i love them. at the moment im not playing many adventure games and wondered if there are any good '2d' point and click games that you would recomend?

Well i'd definetly add Sam and Max: Hit the Road, Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle as great 2D games; but those are getting hard to find. Though it is not 2D, i'd still recomend Grim Fandango as a great adventure game.

Runaway looks pretty good; though I can't realy recomend it because I haven't gotten a hold of one yet. It's not 2D either, but it is a point and click adventure and has a 3D cell shaded look to make it seem more 2D.

As a 3D texture artist, I've never liked cell shading. It always still acts and moves 3d even if a still image "looks" 2d. In my opinion CMI was great. I really enjoy the 2d point and click aspect. It's very fun and entertaining. 3D for puzzle adventure games such EMI are just too cumbersome. Although there are advantages to 3d, it really changes the gameplay.

Originally posted by ramy

As a 3D texture artist, I've never liked cell shading. It always still acts and moves 3d even if a still image "looks" 2d.

Agreed, no matter how good Zelda is, I still think it looks way too 3D. Of course tha's good for Zelda, it still looks good, but wouldn't work if it was actually trying to look 2D. The same goes for point n click adventures, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see what it looks like in the Vampyre thing that people are making that used Cel shading against (what I think are) still backgrounds.

Originally posted by ramy

As a 3D texture artist, I've never liked cell shading. It always still acts and moves 3d even if a still image "looks" 2d. In my opinion CMI was great. I really enjoy the 2d point and click aspect. It's very fun and entertaining. 3D for puzzle adventure games such EMI are just too cumbersome. Although there are advantages to 3d, it really changes the gameplay.

I'm a 3D model and texture artise, as well as a graphic artist and authoring producer. My personal experience has been very good with cel, or in my 3D programs case, toon shading. Movement is very fluid, and clean. I think I do agree that MI5 would probably work best in 2D. MI3 had beautiful graphics. It just needs a higher resolution and smoother animation.

Archived