Home

Are JetTroops/Dark Troops Uber?

Rends

Originally posted by Alegis

As for dark trooper, weapon is weak if it aint close range, and if you roll etc you make it hard for em. Never had a problem with darktroopers before

I think that the cannon of the dark trooper shoots more straight then the one of the rebel pilot

I only like using these jet pack dudes on certain maps like Mos Eisley where jumping over a building can work to your advantage. I agree with the afformentioned posts that these jetpack whores have really lousy weapons, slow rate of fire, runs out of ammo quickly, and your a sitting duck once you land. :)

I think the clone jettrooper is overpowered. First off, his jetpack makes him the fastest moving unit in the game. Perhaps he and the droideka make a good match in moving, but the droideka has obstacles to deal with.

As a reaction to

The Jet Trooper is decent, but not any better than any other unit. The jetpack is useful for speedy movement, but not gaining height, and his EMP launcher is good against Droidekas. The EMP launcher isn't good against other CIS units, since the EMP is so slow-moving and easy to see, with very little splash damage if any. Also has to reload every two shots, and runs out of ammo quickly. The commando pistol is really good in short bursts, but it's very easy to drain the ammo.

have you ever tried looking up while pressing forward and flying? You go up! In fact, the clone jettrooper is the unit in the game that can get to the highest altitudes, it easily beats the darktrooper in that aspect.

Then about his gun. For the console versions, the gun might not be that effective. But for PC, I really don't understand how people can say the gun is useless! I does have a decent splash damage and a direct hit is a one shot kill (accept droideka's). The bullets are not that slow at all. If fired from a not-to-far distance, I'd like to see you evade it (With 'you' I mean everyone in general).

Finally, let's talk about certain exploits the jettroopers can make use of. For example on Mos Eisly, there is a certain control point that only allows access through a small portal (a bit north-north-east of the map, I believe). The jettroopers can just fly up, shoot over the walls, throw a few grenades in and go back down before the enemy even knows what hit em. And dispite with what ppl may say about shooting them out of the air, I experience the same time everytime in my team. All of the units spawning there get pwned big time. This is just one example, and I'm sure you can understand that a lot more can be thought of.

It must be obvious I plea for bringing down the effectiveness of the clone jettrooper's gun. Perhaps making him reload his weapon after each shot. This brings down the use of the jettroopers figthing capabilities for a very good deal, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. Just consider him a unit with another task, which would obviously be the effective capturing of control points. This would also balance out the fight against CIS, which is by many seen as the least effective faction. Another idea might be reducing the splash damage to zero. When ppl are shooting the jettrooper who is in the air, you cannot speak of splash damage, since it's either a miss or a hit. Why not let the jettrooper have the same handicap? Indeed, the jettrooper has to reload every 2 shots, but then again, a hit is a direct kill, remember?

Originally posted by monkey joe

didn't the republic turn into the emipre in the third movie so what happened to the clones? Could some of them be stormtroopers? Huh?

Most die of old age (since their growth is increased so much), and a few remnants were in the early Stormtrooper ranks (which means by A New Hope they're all dead).

I think.

Why didn't the Empire just clone Boba Fett for their Stormtroopers? :p

There's a few theories about that but we won't know for sure until ROTS comes out (or at least by the it comes out on DVD and Lucas explains any loose ends on the director's commentary).

I am staying away from Episode III spoilers as much as possible, so this is purely speculation by me (and some background material I remember from the EU), bear with...

The modern Stormtroopers are, according to Lucas, descended from the Jango Fett Clones.

This could be interpreted a few different ways. One is that they are the physical descendents (ie: the Clones had kids in the usual way and these kids grew up and became Stormtroopers). They were yet more Jango clones, produced from the same genetic "stock" that was used to create the others (if the stock doesn't need to be replenished that is, since Jango is dead).

Since Boba Fett is a clone of Jango, his stock would be identical, so they could use that as well.

The idoicy of dubbing over Boba's voice to get Jango's accent nonwithstanding, they could literally be Fett clones still.

The EU seems to assume that the Stormtroopers are a mixture of brainwashed recruites and conscripts both in the OT and after. Characters are "shocked" to see that clones are being used by Grand Admiral Thrawn. Cloning is seen as a "banned" and "lost" technology. Clones are made in Spaarti Cylinders such as those hidden under Mt. Tantis or Kurek or something (used by Palpatine to make new bodies for himself because the Dark Side makes his body age rapidly and fall apart so he transfers his "soul" into new bodies so he can live forever... I know it's weird, but it's all there in the EU). The thing about these EU clones is that they age to adulthood in a very short time (like 1-3 years) and they get a "flash brain imprint" of the knowledge and memories of anyone they want. So no training required. But the thing is the rapid aging process somehow reacts with the Force and so they get "clone madness."

To stop the "clone madness" they come up with a way to grow clones a bit slower with a Ysalamari (a creature that "pushes back the Force" as a natural defense mechanism to survive from predatory Vornskrs that hunt it with the Force) to prevent the Force from making the clone go mad from growing too fast.

But either way Jedi can "sense" Clones through the Force as having a "strangeness" to them because of the lack of the Force growing up or confused minds.

Anyway, to make a long story short, Lucas took that established "history" from the EU and threw it into chaos by making the Stormtroopers all clones and the Kaminoeans making 10 year clones from Jango Fett. Needless to say the EU authors have rushed to retcon the situation, including saying that the Spaarti technique was a later development or one that was stolen by the Mandalorians or the CIS and used at the end of the Clone Wars. Or that the Cloning was a secret from everyone except maybe a few in the Senate, the Jedi, and Palpatine's inner circle.

The current theory is that (based on the fact that Stormtroopers in the OT have different heights and voices and not like the actor who plays Jango and the AOTC Clones, and because Lucas had the opportunity to "fix" this in the new DVD's and didn't...) the current Stormtroopers (OT and beyond) are either a mixture of Clones (from Jango, Boba, or anybody else they wanted) and brainwashed recruites and conscripts OR they are all Clones just not all of one person, but a variety of "templates."

Still, Lucas's statements seem to indicate that they are somehow descended from Jango Fett's clones. So we'll see if it's explained in Revenge of the Sith.

Originally posted by SkankinShine

I say one of the best because I think the Super Battle Droid helps keep the CIS in the game. Their wrist rockets and increased health make them very deadly.

dude you forgot another deadly addition to the Super Battle Droid.... the Tri Shot... i mean common close range with that 2 shots the dude is down. I'd even go as far as to say that his pistol is best one out there... Use his regular wrist gun like any other assault rifle, and then the the enemy gets in close and personal, switch up to the pistol and finish him in 1 shot!

/\ yeah, you're right, I forgot about that...This is why I don't understand people who say the CIS is the weakest faction.

I think the Imperials are the weakest. Each faction is identical except:

1. Each faction's unique unit

2. CIS has enhanced infantry in S.B.Droid

3. Map advantages, like the presence of an AT-AT.

As far as the special units, I personally rank them:

1. Jet Trooper

2. Droideka

3. Wookiee

4. Dark Trooper

As far as AT-AT's, most people now can bring them down in a hurry with tow cables. Republic walkers are much stronger in this respect.

You forget that the Empire on Rhen Var doesn't have to face to face snowspeeders.

I would rank them differently:

1-Clone Jetpack trooper

2-Droideka

3-Dark Trooper

4-Wookiee

Seriously, the Wookiee, although having a strong weapon, has a pretty low rate of fire and takes 3 head/upper torso shots to take down compared to the Dark Trooper's 2(if you're close enough) and the timebombs are totally useless. The only place where they're useful is Endor(4 timebombs to destroy the Shield Generator).

As for Clone Jetpack troopers, no they're not overpowered. You can easily dodge their shots and when they're in the air, they're pretty slow moving. Up close there's no way you can miss them.

By the way, any pistol can give you good kills. You just have to learn how to use them.

In a patch or mod they should make a class ranking system....

First you start out as a regular assault trooper, then you need a certain amount of kills to get to the next class and so on.

Then people wouldn't be a Jet trooper once a match starts and get all of the command posts in 2 mins. and everyone starts cussing at each other then it gets ugly...

So a class ranking system would be cool if someone mad one

Originally posted by MarcusLeCoy

In a patch or mod they should make a class ranking system....

First you start out as a regular assault trooper, then you need a certain amount of kills to get to the next class and so on.

Then people wouldn't be a Jet trooper once a match starts and get all of the command posts in 2 mins. and everyone starts cussing at each other then it gets ugly...

So a class ranking system would be cool if someone mad one

That sounds alright but some people would complain that they cant get their favourite class in the beginning.

Archived