Home

Bots or no bots?

WinterJedi

Bots or not bots?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Bots or not bots?

• Bots
    • No bots

I voted no bots. It's much more fun playing vs. players only. Sure, the fights might not get as big but on a 32 player server it's just grand if there´s no bots around. Even on smaller servers I'd like to have players only, it becomes more personal.

If I want to play vs. bots, I'd rather play singleplayer!

I'd like them if they were any good, but for now they are crap.

I mean I enjoy gunning them down, but having them on my team is just depressing.

Let me say that I am a strong believer in having bots to help extend the life of a game in general, but the bots that came package with SWBF so far need some work...

Bots are nice to round-out smaller games, and for people playing offline and those who don't want to wait or can't get a good big game going. It helps simulate that large battlefield. It also helps tide you over while you wait for a human team. It's also excellent for training or testing out stuff that might piss off humans or distract from the game itself.

And really, few people are going to be able to host SWBF games with all those players as humans. So having a bunch of humans that each command squads of bots is kinda cool. Just for right now the bots don't respond to orders very well and are reluctant to use vehicles sometimes. So until that's fixed I sympathize with those who don't use them.

Actually, I experienced this phenomena in Rainbow 6 and I experienced it at least once in SWBF (in Instant Action Mode). If the bots can win without me, somebody did something right. Sadly the fact that the bots don't work well enough WITH ME when I'm there annoys me. Hopefully future patches will address that. I like the feeling of being a field commander!

A tool we really need is some kind of "Bot Creator Wizard" for creating custome bots to use online.

Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad

Dude...

You've never experience the horrors of the bots in BF1942/Vietnam. After that these bots are actually smart.

Agreed :) I was pretty impressed with the Star Wars: Battlefront bots compared to the morons in Battlefield 1942/Battlefield Vietnam.

I like having bots in games for a few reasons:

1) It rounds out smaller servers so there's more fun.

2) Make the battles seem that much more engrossing (A server with 5 on 5 or even 10 on 10 can feel pretty empty).

3) The most fun I've had playing this game is commanding these brainless soldiers to aid in the battle. Unlike 1942, they actually seem to listen to commands and if you take a few bots with you as backup/gunners, you'll be much better off.

I believe the bots DO count as multiplayer kills, which annoys me.

The only place I want bots are as gunners and as rear guards, great at which they are not. Which means I would like, at most, 4 bots per side. I prefer no bots, I loathe them.

I get zero satisfaction from gunning a bot down at range when it doesn't react once to my fire. Even if they were as agile and smart as UT bots I still would get no satisfaction.

I prefer a 32+ human server. But thats just me, I voted no. I play these types of games to pit my skill against other humans. I go through the single player vs bots once to learn the mechanics of a game, then I prefer to leave them behind. I really don't like bots.

I think the biggest reason for bots right now is that there seem to be far fewer online players than other games. When I load up ASE to find a game, I can usually see a couple North American servers with a good number of players, and then the number sharply drops to like 4/20 or something.

If SWBF ever gets to the numbers of other games, bots can be turned off always - but I don't find any pleasure playing a 2 on 2 game :(

Originally posted by SkankinShine

Not as bad as stupid players who stand on grenades...

I think the bots help make the game feel like a battle. And it gives the players some freedom to blend in with the crowd and act strategically.

I agree with shine here. Bots are good to make the battle feel more real...Just like in a real battle some people are stupid others are smart...We are the smart and bots are the dumb.

Small games: bots are good to keep numbers up.

Large Games: Bots aren't that benefical to the match.

I don't really care if BFV has or doesnt have dumber bots, the point is bots in this game...

and regarding that they are extremely predictable and mostly just serve to get my kill number higher. For example when you are sniping... they just stand still while far away half the time, and when you shoot at them they roll to the side then stand up and dont move. Makes sniping easy & substantially less enjoyable when there is no challenge.

PS:

including the "fake" enemies/allies like wookiees on Kashyyyk and Ewoks on Endor.

You can't tell me killing the ewoks or jar-jar isn't fun. :D

I haven't setup a server, but what kind of options are there? Is it possible to have a 32 player server, for example, and have slots filled with bots until real players join? As the number reaches 32 players, fewer and fewer bots will be there until ultimately it's all humans?

Or do you have to pick a constant number of bots and live with them?

i like bots for the most part, but for some reason on geonosis sp the clones on my team NEVER take cp's. They could be standing next to a completely unguarded cp and not even move to take it, then just walk away. I think the bots are incredibly dumb, but make for bigger, more fun battles so i voted ye for bots

Dude...

You've never experience the horrors of the bots in BF1942/Vietnam. After that these bots are actually smart.

You are right, the bots are definitely a lot better then in bfv.

I agree that humans versus humans is BEST, but the bots in swbf create a 100% guaranteed battle feeling i sometimes miss in bfv. In particular if you think of the many battles playing with non-teamplayers :fire2:, rookies, etc..

I like to have Bots in multiplayer missions too because you can tell them to stay and protect a spawnpoint.

I did it few days ago in Mos Eisley and once the 3rd group of Bots spawned at the same SP it was a nice group of Bots arount the SP and it was a Darktrooper trap. I had so much fun watching the Darktroopers jumping from roofs or over walls to the Spawnpoint and got immediatly killed by my Defenders :D

Rends

Dude...

HAHAHAHA you're absolutely right! When I first got this game the day of its release, I actually was impressed with the bots in this game due to the fact that I had to go through years of horrible AI with 42/BFV.

You wanna talk dumb? How about in some cases where you can literally walk up to a bot in BFV, shake hands, have a cup of coffee, then proceed to gun him down with your AK-47 without the bot even attempting to fight back. Now those are some dumb bots.

At least the bots in this game will always fight back...

Dude...

Totally. I am a long time Battlefield player. BF1942 has the worst bots ever. BFV bots were slightly better but only because they followed orders better. Otherwise there are still dumb as bricks.

With the experience that I have had with bots in both of those games, SW Battlefront has friggin "Einstein Bots" IMO. Those of you who think the SW Battlefront bots are dumber than mud need to go play BF1942 to give you a better perspective. I personally have had some really good SP battles in Battlefront and have no qualms with the occasional stupid bot. Heck, I've seen lots of real people act more retarded than the bots.

Archived