Home

Remember when I promised those Dark Trooper pics?

Suprosa

These are a bit late, I hope they are still useful to the team...

I finally got around to scanning all the pics of the dark troopers (phase 1 and 2), it has drawings and renders of them in the official walkthrough book. It has sketches of various other main characters in the game...but I think we have a generally good idea of how Kyle, Jan, and stormies look :p

Though that brings up something to me, what will Kyle look like? That model on the website is from a year ago, and I think is still looks to soft for the hardass mercenary that Kyle is...have any improvements been made on the kyle model?

anywho, here is a taste of the scannings:

D3.jpeg

And here is the link with 10 more Dark Trooper images:

Dark Trooper Scans

Enjoy!

Considering no DT will be in the demo (except very briefly in the rendered cutscene), you aren't too late with those. :) Those are pretty cool. Our phase one is a little sleeker than the ones in the picture. It's up to Corto if he wants to redo it more along the lines in those pictures. The phase 2 and 3 are still in early stages and those concept pics should be useful. Thanks!

Great pictures the dt2 and dt3 look perfect, dt1 looks a little different but better, I think that it shouldnt look sleek but look just like those pictures. The dt1 looks tougher in those pics while still looking scary, the ones in the original DF looked a little too incomplete, which made it look like it was ready to fall apart and it sure didnt look like it was able to take the punishment required to destroy it.

The ones I posted are Chin's concepts and the DF teams final render of the DT2 and DT3...and the DT1 in that website u posted looks really ugly, I really hope u guys dont follow that colored sketch :p

I think the DT2 and DT3 renders and the DT1 sketches I posted are far better looking than the ones on Chin's website. Seeing as how all the work presented in this thread is Chin's work, I say we use the good looking models :p

The renders I posted are exactly whats used in the game, if you look at the renders and the ingame sprites (whatever they are called) of the DT's they are exact copies of each other, each in their own different quality.

Compare char16.jpg

char17.jpg with the renders of each of them, and you'll see they are the same images in different engines. Only difference I can see is the DT2 is missing his jetpack and the gun is different in his render.

The DT1 is debatable as to how it should look tho, I personally think the monsterrocket DT1 pics are very dumb looking...The DT1 head in mrocket looks awful, and i hope it is obvious to the team that that head wasnt used for the ingame model...

Perhaps it's due to the low resolution of the game, but I've always thought of the phase 1 DTs as DF's equivalent of the Skynet machines in the Terminator movies (see: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/mdi/images/bckgrd/bckgrd_big/terminator_004.jpg).

So to me they're basically red-eyed metal skeletons, equipped with a shield and sharp protrusion (a la the T-1000's arm in the "milk carton" scene in T2).

That look, coupled with the metallic sneer the DT1 utters when he sees you, provides this particular enemy the menace it needs.

Unfortunately, the DT1 model that is currently available at the DF mod's website IMO looks adorably cute rather than suitably intimidating.

At the very least, it needs a silver metallic makeover (if this is supported by the engine of course).

The screenshot on the site (of the Phase 1) is so unbelievably old, I'd take no notice of it.

The entire models screenshots section will be brought up to date after the Second Demo is released - trust me, the new Phase 1 model we have is pretty mean :D

• 4 weeks later...

The pics are ok. The phase 1 looks very Battlestar Galactica, I really don't like it. I don't see the point of having cables coming off and on the body, that makes the robot more vulnerable.

We worked around a concept of a more humanoid skeleton with a meaner expression on the face, thing that those phase 1 on the pics don't have.

For the second phase we have our concept artist working on the concept. The idea of taking new original concepts to 3d is more apealing than just making a copy of an overused concept.

Archived