Home

Best X-Wing Author

Shok_Tinoktin

Best X-Wing Author  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Best X-Wing Author

• Michael Stackpole
    • Aaron Allston

ok... why is he one of your least favorite?

i LOVE aaron aalston because he really combines... feelings with humor and excitement.

i mean i was drawn to Ton Phanan ... he was an awesome guy and funny as hell.. and when he died.... i felt grief and sorrow.

plus when i started reading i could NEVER stop...

with the other x-wing books ... well there were 2 i found plain BORING! and the others did not have that.... well that real bonded feeling i have with the wraiths.

Yes, allston was capable of bringing together those things, but he didn't do it on an amazing platform. Timothy Zahn was one who could pull anything off as a writer, and he is the master of bringing emotion into a story. I have to agree with Shok that Stackpole is the second best author, he comes a lot closer to zahn than allston does to be deserving of special recognition

I'm not sure what it is specifically in Allston's writing that I do not enjoy, its just after reading any of his books, I dont feel like I just read a very good book.

The other thing I don't like about Allston has nothing to do with his writing style. The original Stackpole X-Wing books were about Rogue Squadron against Ysanne Isard, and IMO, thats what X-Wing series is about (despite the fact that the title is much more open than that). Then Allston comes along, and writes three books that are about Wraith squadron against a warlord (cant remember how to spell his name, so im not gonna try). Then Stackpole comes back to write another book (IMO, to get the series back where it was supposed to be), and once again it is about Rogue Squadron against Isard (now granted, Allston did set it up). Then Allston comes back and ends the series with Wedge, Tycho, Wes, and Hobbie on some planet. (A final part leaving out most of our favorite characters, [look of dissapointment]) I'm sure Stackpole gave the go ahead to Allston, even though I make it sound like some kind of power stuggle, but I would have been happier with the series being focused on just the Rogues and Isard (even though I also liked a decent number of the Wraiths, as well as things like blastswords).

Wow, what a long response to such a simple question. I guess I get carried away when I talk about what I dont like about Allston (Even though I left out a lot).

well i wrote an e-mail to alston a couple of years ago.. and asked him about the fact he didnt write about rogues and isard.

well first of all isard died in that thyfera (sp?) war.

and aalston said that you shoulndt write about other people's characters. if you read a lot of books.. you never really hear about Corran Horn because its stackpoles char.

he didnt write about rogue squadron and isard because wel.. he didnt want (was allowed) to do so. you hardly hear about isard anyway then in the x-wing books.

but somewhere along the line stackpole thought about comming back with isard and RS. thats why in the book: Iron Fist Garik Loran suggest Isard is still alive.

the reason he goes into the zjinz (sp?) campaign is because the x-wing books were supposed to connect with another book: The courtship of Princes Leia. so again aalston was kinda forced to write about him.

dont question the story or the char on the writer in this case.

NOTE: im not making this up he send me the mail :)

Wraith 8

I like Stackpole better overall, I think, just because his writing is more intense and I enjoy that.

On the other hand, Allston's writing of the Zsinj campaign brought a much-appreciated note of humor to the saga, and introduced some very cool characters who I for one really came to care about. It was a different sort of series from the first four X-wing books, but they were meant to tie in, as has already been said.

While Allston may not be a master of creating incredibly complex scenarios (as Stackpole and Zahn do), he does come up with both some very interesting tactics and some cool characters, and made a different sort of addition to the SW saga.

Archived