Home

FDA OK'S implanted medical info chip

Nairb Notneb

All the information that is being discussed as being put into these chips are information that is already available to find. It would only make it a little easier to view, but it hardly becomes public knowledge. The people who would be able to dig this information up, are the same people who could hack their way into your records anyway. And as far as identity theft, IMO it makes it harder for someone to committ this crime. They would have to reprogram their chip to replicate yours. Now, the example of jobs has been brought up. People are forgetting that the corporations still need to hire as many workers. So all that would change, is that employees would be able to make a more informed decision about who gets better jobs. So if companies are now getting better workers, their efficiency will increase and it will boost the economy. Also, people are acting like they will implant recording devices into them. IMO, it is very difficult for a Democratic-Republic to take over complete control of its citizens. I think that people are just paranoid, because there have been so many stories about government oppression, not unlike 1984.

Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin

All the information that is being discussed as being put into these chips are information that is already available to find. It would only make it a little easier to view, but it hardly becomes public knowledge. The people who would be able to dig this information up, are the same people who could hack their way into your records anyway. And as far as identity theft, IMO it makes it harder for someone to committ this crime. They would have to reprogram their chip to replicate yours. Now, the example of jobs has been brought up. People are forgetting that the corporations still need to hire as many workers. So all that would change, is that employees would be able to make a more informed decision about who gets better jobs. So if companies are now getting better workers, their efficiency will increase and it will boost the economy. Also, people are acting like they will implant recording devices into them. IMO, it is very difficult for a Democratic-Republic to take over complete control of its citizens. I think that people are just paranoid, because there have been so many stories about government oppression, not unlike 1984.

What you said is simply a part of the larger picture. It is not incorrect, but you fail to recognise the cons of such an invention. Know that if this actually gets implemented in everyone, then anybody who has the ability to buy such a scanner, would be able to know your criminal records, what you think of society, basically just anything people can think of to put within this small chip. You say, "The people who would be able to dig this information up, are the same people who could hack their way into your records anyway.". I say that this is the easiest way, indeed the fastest, to hack into somebody's records, perhaps a person who wants to put his criminal records behind him, to start a new life. This is the easiest way to find out anything about the person standing beside you, without asking him a thing. This is the easiest way to spite a person, to publicise his misdeeds, perhaps because he accidentally stepped on your toe.

Originally posted by Darth333

I know this but I still have the choice to use or not most of these devices and it's far from being as invasive as an implanted chip. As for the cameras that monitor towns and cities, when I walk in the streets I am already in public places. It is not because those things already exist that we have to give everything away.

Few modern people IMO can actually step away from these things, precisely because it is greatly integrated within our lives. For example, the cellphone is an important part of business; it enables you to be contacted anywhere, anytime. These people can add things they wish to our modern gadgets, and it is difficult to walk away from all these. Plus, I have a feeling EVERYONE is going to be coerced into implementing the chips, so escaping it MIGHT (it's just my opinion, don't take it too seriously) get you in court.

Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin

IMO, it is very difficult for a Democratic-Republic to take over complete control of its citizens. I think that people are just paranoid, because there have been so many stories about government oppression, not unlike 1984.

Really? I think we are closer now than ever to having a select few (rich individuals and corporations) have control over almost every phase of our lives. As long as you are happy to go along doing and hearing what you are told you will be fine... but want to do anything different and you will run into problems.

Almost all the bad things that have ever been done (by governments or technology or science) have had good intentions and good uses. Trying to force people to do something has been proven to cause resistance... making it inconvenient or expensive not to (and therefore appear more convenient and cheaper to) has been proven to work. Corporations cottoned on to this way before governments. We are getting scarilly close to making OCP from the robocop films look like a reality.

Personal freedom is a fallacy. Going off the technological information available to us at this moment, everything we ever do is likely to be monitored.

I think the proof is in 'Demzilla' and the other (forgot its name) program, which collects (publicly available) personal data and extrapolates upon election issues which would effect each person, individually.

Remember, we're only aware of technology a government wants its people to know about. Who knows what additional kinds of technology are already in use.

Originally posted by Druid Bremen

Know that if this actually gets implemented in everyone, then anybody who has the ability to buy such a scanner, would be able to know your criminal records, what you think of society, basically just anything people can think of to put within this small chip.

I was assuming that there would be some kind of coding, preventing more sensitive material from being viewed by unauthorized people. In that sense, it is no different than an internet hacker, only you have to be there. I highly doubt that any scanning by anyone with a scanner could get to everything, that seems like a ridiculous assumption in my opinion.

I think that many of misunderstand the way they plan on using this chip at the moment, of course it can all change. According to the companies web site (The company is based in Florida, USA) the chip is about the size of a grain of rice and is similar to those that have been placed in pet animals (dogs, cats) for years now (my cat has one actually).

The only information the chip itself has on it is an identification number on it identifying me (like 666 or something for example) (I just picked a random umber there is no significance to that number at all). When the chip is scanned, the scanner sends to it enough power to activate it. It then sends out a radio frequency broadcasting out its id number to the scanner telling the scanner who I am. Then the scanner will access the main database to get my information.

Several things will be very important. The chip on my person identifies only me (in theory), anyone with scanning equipment can get to my information, anyone that can get to the database can alter my information.

This is my problem. Tell me why this is safer for me and my children. I currently shred receipts, past bills, and those stupid credit card applications that I always get that they want me to sign up for that I don't want so people won't use them in my name. If somebody gets a clone of my chip and keeps scanning the back of their hand at Wal-Mart to buy underwear I'll be very upset.

Could they clone these chips? Can they clone cell phones? Copy DVD's? Hack computers? Is Windows safe? The new service pack two now has over 20 holes in it and it hasn't been out that long (according to the article I read two days ago).

Boost the economy? Sure from the back of my hand and out of my wallet why I get thrown out on the street because I can't pay the bills that somebody else ran up. this is not any safer than what we have now.

Only thing i can say, is that most of what you said can be true about any of your information that is stored on a computer (which is a lot). As far as being able to clone it, it seems no easier than copying a Driver's Liscence, Social Security Card, etc.; but I have to admitt that I know little about what it takes to copy those things.

I agree Shok, this new tech brings about nothing new in my eyes, only that it will make it much faster for people to take your information because it will all be concentrated in one location, or it will only required your chip id number to get it.

The manufacturers are billing that because the chip is physically on you it will make it more secure. Why would that be true? If that were true then I shouldn't be afraid of my credit card because I have never lost it.

Not a bad idea. That's not a bad selling point for these things.

As soon as your baby is born, even before the umbilical chord is cut, implant a tracking, I mean an identification chip in him/her right away. This way we will be able to know everything about him his entier life, err, I mean YOU will not be able to loose him/her. It will keep your baby from being stolen from the hospital by an evil nurse!

Archived