Home

I'm leavin' on a jet plane

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I forgot about this thread, after my post got eaten to it...weeks ago. :D

RayJones, the show you're thinking of is TOTALLY different. I did a little investigating. They just have similar names. Verschollen isn't on American TV (that I could find out about.)

I still haven't got to see Lost, but everyone is saying how amazing and good it is...from critics to my friends to radio talk shows hosts (this morning) :D

Wish I could see it :( (stupid night classes, stupid buses)

Originally posted by Redwing

Oh, I forgot about this thread, after my post got eaten to it...weeks ago. :D

RayJones, the show you're thinking of is TOTALLY different. I did a little investigating. They just have similar names. Verschollen isn't on American TV (that I could find out about.)

I still haven't got to see Lost, but everyone is saying how amazing and good it is...from critics to my friends to radio talk shows hosts (this morning) :D

Wish I could see it :( (stupid night classes, stupid buses)

apparently TiVo +DVR would fix it.

Anyhoo, last night's episode was awesome, and the next one looks like I'm gonna be engulfed in a sweet river of suspensful awesome....er, joy?

Originally posted by Scar Da Kookee

Look, its a sin not to wach farscape

you got to know farscape is worth watchin by now :D

btw: i'd rather prefer i dont watch a new show, cus i need more sleepy during the week, and a wednesday show isnt helping :p

IT'S AT 8/7CENTRAL!

Plus the first episode of farscape got corrupted like halfway through, so I'm not so sure yet.

Originally posted by Redwing

RayJones, the show you're thinking of is TOTALLY different. I did a little investigating. They just have similar names. Verschollen isn't on American TV

Originally posted by jokemaster

Anyone seen Lost yet? It's an awesome show about a plane crashing and the survivors stranded. Awesome show, runs on ABC ..

Originally posted by RayJones

we have a similar show, equal story running here on rtl.

a summary:

lost=>abc=>us

-teh stroy: plane crashes, survivors stranded on an island, etc blah

-us production

verschollen=>rtl=>germany

-german production

:dozey:

now what exactly did you investigate? how many spliffs do fit in your mind??

:p

Originally posted by RayJones

.. ..

a summary:

lost=>abc=>us

-us production

verschollen=>rtl=>germany

-german production

:dozey:

now what exactly did you investigate? how many spliffs do fit in your mind??

:p

First, Lost is an American production, NOT a German production. ;)

Second, "Verschollen" is commonly translated "Cast Away" in English, not, "Lost". (The Tom Hanks movie "Cast Away" was called "Verschollen" in English, and (note: Google cached page, otherwise you have to subscribe to read the article) translates "Verschollen" as "Cast Away".

Finally, I found an English review of "Verschollen".

National TV - the horror, the horror

Tuesday, October 5th, 2004, lunch time by gibarian

I am in the unfortunate position to receive not more than four channels on TV. Two are national TV, one is a sloppily made private channel and the fourth is a sloppily made private channel, with a focus on Vienna. The private channels are sponsored by ads, national TV is sponsored by ads and the monthly fee virtually anyone in Austria has to pay. You’d think they’d be able to buy interesting stuff to show. But obviously, they can’t. The last monster they have decided to let loose on their unsuspecting viewers is called “Verschollen” (Cast Away), a joint production between Austrian national TV and RTL, known for its costly, high-quality productions. The story is simple: A plane crash somewhere in the south seas, 20 people survive and are stranded on some island. Now, you may think: Hey, that’s not so bad of a concept. And yes, theoretically, although it’s such an old idea, with good actors, a nice setting and a screenplay written by someone else than a ten year old, it could have been worthwhile. But, the production company decided against all that.

For one, the whole goddamn island is inside a studio. You’ve got a whole lot of fake rocks, fake palm-trees, one token spider, one token iguana and the best thing is….there’s no water. It’s a goddamn island, but there’s obviously a green-screen around the whole thing. I mean, if an actor or an actress, and trust me, each and everyone of those does not deserve this title, is seen in front of the sea, you notice a fine, white line between their body and the sea. So what kind of computer are they actually using for CGI? A Pentium I? With 133 Mhz, 32 MB Ram? Oh come one, it’s the 21st century, couldn’t they at least have used something resembling reasonable equipment. But hey, why should they? If I can assemble a crew of soap-style actors, put up a plastic island inside a studio, let the script be written by the producer’s three year old son (and use his computer for the effects) and then even sell it to the various TV-stations , there’s no need to change a thing.

That seriously doesn't sound like theAmerican "Lost" to me. :) In fact, just having watched the trailers for the show clinches it. "Lost" is filmed on an actual island, and there IS water. :D [And apparently, a polar bear?!] Also, it's definitely high budget, and has had rave reviews. And is being produced by J.J. Abrams of Alias (and two other people I can't remember). It's been called the "best new show of the season" multiple times. ;)

Also, apparently 48 people are stranded in "Lost", and only 20 in "Verschollen". ;)

edit:

Well, that explains it..."Verschollen" is a ****ty Germany "Lost" ripoff. ;)

Archived