Home

Oo La La, SOE and LucasArts

Jackrabbit

Lucasarts Through with Sony??

I know that this is forbidden from the higher-ups, but we like to let our minds run wild here. I have heard it from the grapevine and have discussed this with a good friend of mine who has also heard the same. Apparently Lucasarts is displeased with the way that SOE (Sony Online Entertainment) has handled Star Wars' MMORPG Galaxies. Now the day after the JTL expansion goes live, they plan to announce the second expansion pack and the divorce between SOE and Lucasarts. They will then give update us on the changes that will be made when Lucasarts takes the controls.

Speculation has gone on that they are looking towards a SWG with no players being Jedi. It is said that Lucas is displeased with the game but excited about it's potential. As a Star Wars fan and a gamer, I think (if this is true) that this will be a turn for the better. Whatever Lucasarts does with it flying solo, it is sure to do Star Wars justice. Stay tuned and we will keep you informed.

LucasArts dumps Sony?

Rumor has it, LucasArts is not happy with the way that Sony has handled Star Wars Galaxies. Sources speculate that once the expansion, Jump to Lightspeed, is launched, Lucas will announce a second expansion pack along with its divorce from Sony. This will be followed by future announcements concerning the changes that will be made once Lucas is commanding the reins. These changes may include the removal of (playable) Jedi in Galaxies. LucasArts would probably have been better off keeping Star Wars in-house in the first place. Lesson learned.

I think this is a good and a bad thing. LucasArts will get SWG back on track as far as continuity, but it will be a bumpy process. Getting rid of player Jedi? That's a lot of players that they plan to just exterminate. A lot of people will be pissed, but a lot of people (I think the majority) will be happy.

I see two problems though. First, LucasArts doesn't have any real experience with MMORPGs, so this is going to be a big step. If this isn't done correctly it could ruin the company. And the second thing is this - LucasArts makes bad games :p. Their games work for the most part, and are fun for a little while, but they've got no depth to them. They're usually very straight forward, tedious, and they use the same old tricks over and over again.

Well anyway, this is just a rumor right now, but let's discuss it.

Removal of player Jedi = good to a point. I agree, there are WAY too many Jedi, but I think they really should just make Jedi something that takes a long time to get, and make it random for each person how to get.

I think LucasArts would do good with the game. They would fix continuity definately, and a bunch of other problems.

Like you said, LucasArts games aren't that great, but the basic game is already made, so they'd just be fixing stuff that has to deal with continuity, etc.

It's about time!!!

Maybe we finally will get a true Star Wars game, not a game that puts anything into it. :rolleyes:

All we are missing is the Vong and Mandalorians. :D

About experience, granted, they don't have nearly as many years of experience as Sony, but working with SOE for well over 4-5 years has got to have tought them something about the business of MMORPG's. :D

Archived