Home

News from the DEV TEAM!

Rends

We wanted to follow-up with everyone on some of the current enhancements being worked on for our next round of updates. Some of the feature improvements &/or additions are to increase the options for servers. They include:

- The ability to change the default Reinforcement counter

- The ability for the Host to Boot players

- The ability to Ban players from a server

- We've added the ability to be Invulnerable for a period of time when the player spawns in. The amount of time the player is invulnerable is determined by the server.

- When running a dedicated server,the game session window is now moveable

Early next week we hope to be able to share a lot more information about the upcoming enhancements to the game. We just want to be sure everything we talk about is actually going to make it into our next update before we promise anything.

The Star Wars Battlefront Team

Rends

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"We've added the ability to be Invulnerable for a period of time when the player spawns in."

Eeeeexcellent.

Just long enough to get away from that spawn-camping tank, please!

I would suggest that the player not be able to fire while invulnerable, though. It'd be hard to take a CP with guys popping up and shooting you while they're protected.

Guess they'll do extra server stuff afterwards (more options, linux?)

Still, so much to be done yet about gameplay. But they talk about series of patches anyways so we'll have to hold on a bit longer.

i'd appreciate this patch a lot though

I like the addendum to the invulnerable spawn of not being able to shoot. It's not without precedent in the game, and it works realistically too. When you switch between firing secondary and primary weapons, there's a delay as you make the switch, which is cool. You can argue realism by saying it takes a minute to grab your weapon from its holster, slung over your shoulder, whatever...yeah, no kills while invulnerable!

Sounds good, guys. I have to say i really appreciate how Pandemic has really stepped up and kept us informed about the current state of what they're working on for the game. I think the reinforcement counter fix is something that will make playing the various maps a more enjoyable experience as they won't end as soon as they begin, which is something that really frustrated me when joining servers as sometimes battles would be over just as i'm selecting my unit.

Now if only we got those oh so precious editing tools. I really, REALLY have a need to create maps, dammit.

The Linux dedicated server is on the way, it's just part of the patch for the what is already out since it stands on it's own. I would assume that it will have all of the features explained for the PC Dedicated server.

XBOX live will have patches, but their patches will be specific to xbox issues. FOr example the server browser in XBOX is all dicated by Xbox Live.

Will there be more patches; yes probably, sort of maybe? It's a question of what features will be going into the next patch and how long it's approval time will be before it is released. If it is best to get some fixes in and out right away then we'll save some for later, otherwise it may be worth it to delay the next patch a week and include any remaining outstanding items in it.

The other alternative is that there are tools and downloadable content in the works and the final patch could just ship in one of those packages.

It should be made clear that the dedicated servers will ship separate from the patches to make sure servers are ready for the patched clients.

Map and modding tools will not be part of the patches. They will be released as a separate package(s) when they are ready and maybe even in phases. The map editor will apply to PC games only (I think) XBOX will probably be able to handle the new maps but unlikely the PS2 will because it's patching ability is limited (patch goes to a memory card and it's kind of hard to have additional levels when you have 8 megs on memory card.)

I got an even better idea... why not make it able to have ps2 / xbox / pc etc play eachother then all seperate ? there will be a larger base area and alot more fun cause there are alot of empty servers on the pc one for example. Just a thought.

psych0fred,

i realy would like to get some modding tools soon. I currently started with some models i would like to test in game for some reasons. And we all all knows that creating new maps will take some time to finish.

A mod tool(s) documentation would be fine also.

Rends

Originally posted by psych0fred

Map and modding tools will not be part of the patches. They will be released as a separate package(s) when they are ready and maybe even in phases. The map editor will apply to PC games only (I think) XBOX will probably be able to handle the new maps but unlikely the PS2 will because it's patching ability is limited (patch goes to a memory card and it's kind of hard to have additional levels when you have 8 megs on memory card.)

Sweet. At least now we know for sure now that we are going to see a map editor. Thanks for the heads up. now i can go into further development of the maps i want to make.

Archived