Home

News from the DEV TEAM!

Rends

SWBF is a great game no doubt, but there are a few things that the dev team really needs to release with SWBF future patches. I speak for many people and this badly needs to be added. A IN GAME COMMUNITY!!!! This is something this game badly badly needs, I really dont mind at all if its in an expansion pack or a patch but this is something the game really lacks, my idea of a community is:

1. Add a Lobby for users when they log in to join a game.

2. Add ingame chat rooms (wouldnt it be nice to just have a chat after a grueling battle?)

3. Please add a spectator mode for people who need a break but do not want to leave the server.

4. After each round add about 30-1 minute for the players to talk over the round ( a little bragging is to be expected ;) )

If SWBF were to add these things HANDS DOWN this game would be amazing in my eyes and I am sure many others. I know there are gaming arcades being used that have chat rooms and lobbys but if this were to be added to the game I almost gaurentee a sales boost. I would just like to give one last note that the Devs working on BF are doing an excellent job, but adding these badly needed updates would make there work even better.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wOOt!!!

I am happy to see the spawn protection and the einforment timer added. These combined will greatly enhance the experience.

SWBF is a great game no doubt, but there are a few things that the dev team really needs to release with SWBF future patches. I speak for many people and this badly needs to be added. A IN GAME COMMUNITY!!!! This is something this game badly badly needs, I really dont mind at all if its in an expansion pack or a patch but this is something the game really lacks, my idea of a community is:

1. Add a Lobby for users when they log in to join a game.

2. Add ingame chat rooms (wouldnt it be nice to just have a chat after a grueling battle?)

3. Please add a spectator mode for people who need a break but do not want to leave the server.

4. After each round add about 30-1 minute for the players to talk over the round ( a little bragging is to be expected )

In response to

1. This is why (unfortunatly) they have selected to use GameSpy Arcade.

2. there is an ingame chat.

3. Yes a spectator mode would be great

4. In replace of a bragging time like you describe, I would preffer to see a map voteing tool. Where the players can choose the next map instead of following the server roattion. If this is added the players can still talk and brag at the end of teh round. Also correct me if I am wrong, but can you not extend the end game amount of time in teh server config? ( I know this is common in other games)

I bet thats partly why it shipped with so many bugs....If they'd had a more public beta, they'd have a much less buggy game...of course, theres also the fact that LEC published this game before it was actually finished. Thank goodness Pandemic hasn't given up on this game despite it's setbacks.

Great to see you guys are working on this.

The most urgent thing for a gsp's point of view has to be the ability to host multiple Servers. So far we can only do one per box on port 3658. We can give the community a lot more if we can run multiple servers per box.

This one (perhaps simple?) change will make all the difference to the dedicated Server.

No. No advertising here. There's a better place for that. ~Alegis

I'm alittle worried about the invulnerability for a few sec when spawning, if we are able to shoot or not. Cause if we are, it's gonna be a pain in the ass to try and capture the last enemy spawnpoint. :(

Or any spawn point for that matter.

It all depends of course how long we are invulnerable.

Well IMO the Priority should be to sort out the Dedicated Server so that it is Properly Manageable/Hostable.

As it stands, gsp's cannot/won't host the game until this is done.

We have put one up as a Public gesture, but it will likely have to be closed soon as it is so uncontrollable, and we can only host one on port 3658.

The Servers will drop like wild flies at this rate, in which case there is very little point in sorting out gameplay patches like fps etc, as there will be nowhere to play it!

Originally posted by Jan Gaarni

I'm alittle worried about the invulnerability for a few sec when spawning, if we are able to shoot or not. Cause if we are, it's gonna be a pain in the ass to try and capture the last enemy spawnpoint. :(

Or any spawn point for that matter.

It all depends of course how long we are invulnerable.

I also beside SWBF play Delta Force Black Hawk Down and they have an excellent way of dealing with this problem.... You are as newly spawned invulnerable for about few sec's (approx 5-10sec i think) OR until first shot is fired/grenade is thrown etc. then your spawnarmor vanish....

Originally posted by Alegis

Damage system (vehicle needs too many rockets to blow up, blaster is weak) and fps cap are top rated now, not last.

Roger that 100%.... the damage system to vehicles is ridiculous.. I don't even play the Rocker Launcher class any longer, why should I, it doesn't do any good? A player in a vehicle or the like can just fire and collect kills by the dozen even after taking many, many, rockets... infantry becomes usless.

I like the idea of the invulnerability period, that's something new to me and think its a great idea.. I would want these two items addressed in the next patch, no doubt.

Originally posted by grep

Roger that 100%.... the damage system to vehicles is ridiculous.. I don't even play the Rocker Launcher class any longer, why should I, it doesn't do any good? A player in a vehicle or the like can just fire and collect kills by the dozen even after taking many, many, rockets... infantry becomes usless.

I like the idea of the invulnerability period, that's something new to me and think its a great idea.. I would want these two items addressed in the next patch, no doubt.

The invulnerability period should help the camping vehicles. I've started to really enjoy the Vanguard/Rocket Class lately because I find that they can be effective.

I agree most of the tanks and heavy walkers take loads of rockets to take them down, but I *think* mines do far more damage to these vehicles... I love this class more for the mines than the rockets.

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden

Sounds good, guys. I have to say i really appreciate how Pandemic has really stepped up and kept us informed about the current state of what they're working on for the game. I think the reinforcement counter fix is something that will make playing the various maps a more enjoyable experience as they won't end as soon as they begin, which is something that really frustrated me when joining servers as sometimes battles would be over just as i'm selecting my unit.

Now if only we got those oh so precious editing tools. I really, REALLY have a need to create maps, dammit.

What?? I hate to be the bearer of news, but Valve and DICE both did a FAR better job of communicating the issues, and resolving problems quickly out of the gate. Despite Valve ignoring the community in the last 2 years, DICE is still in touch with the community regularly, and is there to respond to questions and requests DAILY.

This release and subsequent communication is continuing to be an utter disappointment for server admins, GSP's and online gaming in general.

At this pace, this game will die out into a seldom-played single player game in no time. I know several GSP's that are considering giving this one the heave-ho due to no linux support, continually crashing servers, high cost of maintenance and administration, and no way for their clients to remotely control the servers.

Originally posted by frayedends

What?? I hate to be the bearer of news, but Valve and DICE both did a FAR better job of communicating the issues, and resolving problems quickly out of the gate. Despite Valve ignoring the community in the last 2 years, DICE is still in touch with the community regularly, and is there to respond to questions and requests DAILY.

Huh? Dude, what DICE game are you playing?? I'm not sure what you are talking about here, but DICE totally dropped the ball on BFV.. you can't be serious with this comment... communicate daily? you must be out of your mind, bro... you are way off base here.... the recent patch that was released for BFV (1.2) was the first patch released in MONTHS after screwing up prior patches.. I can't believe what I just read here..

I agree with the crashes on games with no Linux servers, true. I think that really should have been a top priority by the team when they put out the game. But the fact of the matter is that they do keep us informed, irregularly, true, but then no other luca$art$ team has even considered doing that, let alone putting out patches within weeks of each other.

I do have to agree about the game starting to die. I see less and less servers everyday, it seems. Makes it hard enough to find and get on a server with your preferences. I hope they can get this big patch out soon so that more people and servers can go back online.

Originally posted by grep

Huh? Dude, what DICE game are you playing?? I'm not sure what you are talking about here, but DICE totally dropped the ball on BFV.. you can't be serious with this comment... communicate daily? you must be out of your mind, bro... you are way off base here.... the recent patch that was released for BFV (1.2) was the first patch released in MONTHS after screwing up prior patches.. I can't believe what I just read here..

If you're on the mailing list, or read the server forums, Andy has been on the ball with replies almost immediately after questions/issues are posted with an explanation, resolution, and ETA on a fix or patch if it's needed. Andreas did the same for BF1942, and he's already begun consulting with us on BF:2, even though it's not to be released until next year.

Also, when patches or issues needed resolution server-side, we could see them within days or sometimes hours - depending on severity, however we are always kept informed about what's upcoming, and when.

This is the level of communication Pandemic and LA are lacking.

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden

I agree with the crashes on games with no Linux servers, true. I think that really should have been a top priority by the team when they put out the game. But the fact of the matter is that they do keep us informed, irregularly, true, but then no other luca$art$ team has even considered doing that, let alone putting out patches within weeks of each other.

I do have to agree about the game starting to die. I see less and less servers everyday, it seems. Makes it hard enough to find and get on a server with your preferences. I hope they can get this big patch out soon so that more people and servers can go back online.

Regardless of the problems with the dedicated server and Linux (which I also hope will be addressed), I'm still surprised that I don't see a load of Lucasarts/Pandemic servers run in their own offices for people who purchased the game.

At least EA have servers up for all the Battlefield games, so even if nobody ever hosted a dedicated server, there would still be a bunch of EA servers to play on. Where are the LA ones?

Originally posted by frayedends

If you're on the mailing list, or read the server forums, Andy has been on the ball with replies almost immediately after questions/issues are posted with an explanation, resolution, and ETA on a fix or patch if it's needed. Andreas did the same for BF1942, and he's already begun consulting with us on BF:2, even though it's not to be released until next year.

Also, when patches or issues needed resolution server-side, we could see them within days or sometimes hours - depending on severity, however we are always kept informed about what's upcoming, and when.

This is the level of communication Pandemic and LA are lacking.

Please provide a link.. I'd like to read the details of this "communication"... thanks.

Since the release LA/Pandemic posted 3 official messages at LA boards (22.9 7.10 and 15.10) and there was also single postings at teamwarfare and here from some Devs.

Well even if it´s not daily briefing they do communicate with us.

Rends

Archived