Home

News from the DEV TEAM!

Rends

The LA boards, or these for that matter, isn't really the appropriate place or means to be communicating with the people that can make a difference. If you want a sucessful multiplayer game, you consult with the server admins, game service providers, and online hosts. 98% of the ppl here are players, on several different platforms, and not the best place to get your info.

When companies that host tens, or hundreds of servers aren't brought into the loop - they drop the game when the costs of administering and maintaining servers becomes too much of a time burden on them, or causes them a sufficient loss of business it doesn't make economic sense. that's what's happening here - and with the loss of those available servers comes fewer and fewer quality servers, and higher costs for clans and publics, which further reduces the number of online servers, and therefore the popularity and visibility of the game.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The game is a month old and they have kept in contact more than well enough for me. They have given us preliminary patch notes, indicating that they will fix the only issue I have with the game. They will also be improving many aspects of the multiplayer experience.

When I can stay in a server, this is the most enjoyment I've had in a game in a long time.

About vehicles:

I find the AV weapons are more than enough for me. The issue is more often the fact that only 1 or 2 troops are anti-vehicle. To compensate for this, I lay mines and stay near a gonk bot. Even more beneficial is to take full advantage of the fire and forget aspect to the rockets. There is no need visually see if they hit, the red circle will inform you of that. Fire and relocate immediately. A sniper must do this, but an angry pilot running at you from a half mile is not so much a threat as an AT-ST or a Combat Speeder bearing down on you.

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden

But the fact of the matter is that they do keep us informed, irregularly, true, but then no other luca$art$ team has even considered doing that, let alone putting out patches within weeks of each other.

Although I think Bioware did a pretty good job as well of keeping players informed about patches and such. Granted that was an SP game...

Originally posted by Jet Black

I'm still surprised that I don't see a load of Lucasarts/Pandemic servers run in their own offices for people who purchased the game.

I don't think Lucasarts has done that for any of their games, have they?

Originally posted by Jet Black

Just great only the PC users get the patch. Hello, there is something called XBox Live and it's not impossible to give us some patches too.

Which is pretty funny since so many players were saying the PC gamers got screwed and they should have gotten the XBox version. :D

Prime, my name is not Jet Black

And getting a PC is too expensive for me, I mean geez it's just a game. This is why I went Xbox to begin with - would cost me less.

Don't see why PC users deserve the best things - they don't have to pay monthly fees to play online and they have a lot of things they can do, yet we console users get screwed over again.

Tsk tsk pandemic

If you PC users were treated like this I bet you would be upset.

Originally posted by Master William

And getting a PC is too expensive for me, I mean geez it's just a game. This is why I went Xbox to begin with - would cost me less.

Don't see why PC users deserve the best things - they don't have to pay monthly fees to play online and they have a lot of things they can do, yet we console users get screwed over again.

Tsk tsk pandemic

LOL, you're not Jet Black, I am ;)

I know that they can release content updates through XBox live, which may include patches (I'm not sure, I don't have an XBox), but I think it takes longer than a PC patch either because of the logistics involved in setting something up for XBox Live or because of the platform its developed for... since it's a console, it's probably not as maleable as a PC when it comes to changes in the game.

Tsk tsk pandemic

You pay less, you get less support. It does make sense :D

no, i was just kidding. You deserve patches as much as pc-users do, but I guess providing patches such as the minor ones the pc-users had before would not be efficient for consoles. I'm sure that they are gathering bugfixes and balance tweaks untill they come up with one big patch that is both for pc and consoles (something like version 1.1 or something).

The pc users are having the benefit of bugs getting fixed "one-by-one" whereas the consoles will have a very big patch... or something like that. i'm just speculating.

Wooohooo, with all these browser enhancements, now I'll be able to find a crap server even faster! I've said it before and I'll say it again, all these improvements are nice, but who gives a **** if once you get in the game it still runs like ass? Until that fps lock is raised (which I think is by far the biggest problem), this game sits on my shelf. How you people can bare to play on those 20fps servers is beyond me. 30fps servers are decent (if you can get lucky enough to find one), but even then the game doesn't run anywhere near as smooth as titles like BF42, BFV, & UT. Maybe I just have high expectations. I mean is it too much to ask for this game to run comparably to other online games of it's ilk?

GET RID OF THE DAMN FPS LOCK!!!!

KTHXBYE

I agree, I tried getting server admins to increase their tps to 60 or 70 but then they say people dont play. Until they fix the tps/fps so that people can enjoy smooth frame rates online, on every server, the game is going to sit on my shelf too, and i'm not going to wait much longer for this.

Originally posted by Snowczar

I agree, I tried getting server admins to increase their tps to 60 or 70 but then they say people dont play. Until they fix the tps/fps so that people can enjoy smooth frame rates online, on every server, the game is going to sit on my shelf too, and i'm not going to wait much longer for this.

You mean to tell me that server admins have the power to raise the fps up to 60 or 70? Where the heck are these at and why aren't more admins doing it? I tried for hours upon end using fraps to find a server over 30 and was never successful.

I would dig this game if it would just run halfway decent. I'd be content if they could just get the fps up to 40 (although 60 should always be the minimum for any game).

Actually, you can't or aren't (as a server admin) recommended to increase the FPS above 30 FPS. The performance hit is too much I believe, for most servers, and the command doesn't necessarily work. Control at this point is limited. More info can be found in the Server Admin section. So it's not the server admin's fault, exactly.

But I too have stopped playing for a multitude of reasons. And the number of servers that consistently have players is falling daily. Sad.

Btw, Spawn Invulnerability is something that's been in most FPS games for awhile now. The obvious reason for putting it in is to prevent "spawn camping."

In UT2k4 for example, you spawn invulnerable for a few seconds unless you fire (since you can obviously defend yourself if you can fire). That's how it should be and I'm glad they're doing it this way.

Sure, capturing a command point while people spawn in is difficult but the flip side is that you can just park a vehicle by a spawn point and rack up dozens of kills with zero effort.

It does sound like they are making this a server OPTION, which would allow the admin to configure it how they wanted.

Originally posted by WaxSlinger

You mean to tell me that server admins have the power to raise the fps up to 60 or 70? Where the heck are these at and why aren't more admins doing it?

Simple m8. We're not gonna mess around with settings on a fairly useless Dedicated Server implementation, with no remote admin control, a fixed port, and something that crashes frequently anyway.

They fix it, provide the right admin functions to control it properly, and then we can host multiple Servers with settings to suit all.

Sorry about that, dude. Didn't mean to do that.

Don't see why PC users deserve the best things - they don't have to pay monthly fees to play online...

Well, we still have to pay a monthly fee to play online. It just goes to a different company.

True. Be they also get upset when they get games that are obviously console ports that don't take advantage of the PCs abilities. Yet they still pay full price.

Originally posted by WaxSlinger

but who gives a **** if once you get in the game it still runs like ass? Until that fps lock is raised (which I think is by far the biggest problem), this game sits on my shelf. How you people can bare to play on those 20fps servers is beyond me. 30fps servers are decent (if you can get lucky enough to find one), but even then the game doesn't run anywhere near as smooth as titles like BF42, BFV, & UT. Maybe I just have high expectations.

That doesn't sound like high expectations to me. I mean I played JO in 2002 online with 30 some odd players at well above 60 fps. Surely by the end of 2004 the technology exists to run battlefront at 60+.

I'd be very interested to know what the reason is for the fps cap. Is it because the game was rushed? Is it because it also has to work on the old PS2? Is it because the maps/units/vehicles require too much horsepower? To me, having a cap was not the way to address these issues. In any event, to me having a max of 30 fps really is unacceptable. Especailly when you are trying to compete with other online games.

Originally posted by Iceman_IX

But I too have stopped playing for a multitude of reasons. And the number of servers that consistently have players is falling daily. Sad.

The number of posts in this forum is certainly dropping, if that is any indication.

Unfortuantely, don't underestimate the disasterous effects issues like the fps cap and browser problems can have on the game. Yes they are trying to get patches out, but it may end up being too little, too late. Many players will have moved on to other games and won't even be checking for updates anymore. Many will have decided that the game is poor, uninstalled it, and never look at it again.

JA never recovered from its browser bug...

Originally posted by Prime

I'd be very interested to know what the reason is for the fps cap. Is it because the game was rushed? Is it because it also has to work on the old PS2? Is it because the maps/units/vehicles require too much horsepower? To me, having a cap was not the way to address these issues. In any event, to me having a max of 30 fps really is unacceptable. Especailly when you are trying to compete with other online games.

Okay, I don't know how correct this is, but I've seen discussion about other games regarding an FPS cap on Multiplayer, and what it can do.

From what I've read, the FPS cap is used so that all packets can be syncronized between clients and servers to be sent at the beginning/end of each frame. Depending on the way the game and network code is designed, people with a higher framerate could be at an advantage without the cap (they would receive more packets and therefore see a more realistic representation of the world around them).

I'm certain that other multiplayer games either don't care about this problem, or send packets independent of the refresh rate. However, a real world example of this comes from TrackMania. In online play, if you drag race an identical roadway with other cars, and you have VSync Off you will ALWAYS reach the finish line faster than players with VSync On because of the number of packets sent back and forth.

So, depending on how the game was designed, they may or may not be able to 'remove' the online FPS cap (if my understanding is correct, which it may not be).

Archived