Home

News from the DEV TEAM!

Rends

Directed to Kurgan

I aggre the bots in this are a ton better then in the battlefield games (ever see a fighter ram into the wing of a b17, or run up to a bot on the enemy team shoot him and all he does is turn away from you to shoot some one far away PATHETIC!!!) but the bots in this game are kind of stupid at times for the most part in vehicles but on the ground too (I saw a stormtrooper bot roll of of the edge in the platforms level to get away from a grenade!)

"but bots can really help the experience" totally agree (for me human players enhance the fps feel but destroy the starwars feel)

I play online when my friends are on but don't really play huge human filled battles because that just screws over the Starwars experiance!

"(AI for one - though I do find it moderately challenging on hard)" glad come one else thinks so!

"I've been playing them since day 1 on "Medium" rather than Hard. I'll have to try Hard (which is also being improved for the next patch they say), but so far, Medium is pathetic" go to hard it is much better!

:fett2:

Edit: AHHH I diden't mean to copy all of it!

Ok just look at Kurgan last post (I accidently quoted all of it)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bah, I've been there when BF1942 first came out. I know I can be patient and wait for patches. It was not until 1.5 that BF1942 had actually solved most of the unbalances and problems...and even at 1.6 there are some left.

The AI on hard is pretty good. Then again, I'm a BF vet...seen horrors...you get the idea.

You played SP or COOP right? The AI is infinitely dumber. Sometimes they would just stand there doing absolutely nothing. Even when you shoot them at point blank they don't budge. Sometime they point at the sky.

SWBF's bots repairs vehicles, gives health and ammo. In BF1942, Medics never healed anyone and engineers never repaired anything.

Oh and there are many issues. Jump-thrown grenades that fly for miles, planes are too strong, parachute can be opened 5 m off the ground...

For the hell of it, I raised my SW:BF AI to Hard and played a little bit... I noticed a big difference in their abilities, intelligence and their ability to listen to commands.

On Rhen Var I was able to bring a fairly good 'platoon' of four or five AI guys to storm the ice cave. We ended up getting pushed back, but it was quite enjoyable and I was very happy with the results.

They're not perfect, but they're not terrible.

there is a huge gap between the performance of the Medium AI and the Hard AI. on hard, your team listens to you, but gets slaughtered so long as you're not there. the enemies actually strafe a bit, and sometimes roll out of your line of fire. they also are much better at dodging grenades. however, after they roll, they seem to get amnesia, and they just stand there until you start shooting them again, and if you bounce a grenade off a wall, they seem to ignore it more. all in all, i find the AI in this game to be good, for AI, but no match for a human (of course)

Originally posted by Master William

[bPlanes too strong? How come I keep owning them then? I can't argue with the parachute thing, it's pretty unrealistic, but then again it doesn't bother me [/b]

Other than the Snow Speeder, all the other flying vehicles are Space Ships... 99.9% of their use would probably be for space, where a parachute would be useless... maybe that's why there isn't one.

In space, nobody can hear you scream ;)

Originally posted by Master William

Planes too strong? How come I keep owning them then? I can't argue with the parachute thing, it's pretty unrealistic, but then again it doesn't bother me

The planes are a lot stronger they they used to be. You've never played against aces or med pilots. They own the map. Planes used to take training to master but now the first noob can just take a plane and blow up everything. The machine guns on the tanks have been rendered 99% inneffective against airplanes. If you don't have an AA gun around and are facing a decent pilot. You're left with praying that he doesn't hit you.

Dudes and other Network programmers!

Let´s face the facts.

the release date of the next patch may take a bit longer (cause of still not fixed network problems).

Guess if you think now "hey why isn´t it fixed yet?" have a look at:

http://www.pandemicstudios.com/jobs.php

Now if you think what to hell happened to the fired one then check this here:

http://www.picupload.net/files/20043010/1099163185.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

So you skilled Network programmers out there! If you are looking for a real challenge have a closer look at the first link above :D

Rends

You know, i think the criteria to get hired as a 2-d/3-d artist at pandemic is way too high. A BS or equivalent? I am a semi-pro illustrator based out of Los Angeles and i can tell you that without a doubt that i am a lot better than a lot of people who have master's degrees who went to Art Center in Pasadena. Not to be a boastful d!ck but it's true. Also 2+ years of experience? How does one get their foot in the freakin door? You have to have had to actually take part in creating a published game to qualify? The hell? They really need to take a good look at their job qualifications if they ever want to fill them quickly and effectively, damn.

This was just posted on the Lucasarts forums:

The PC update is almost ready. We are doing some final tests to make sure everything is ready for all languages. After that, we will be releasing the update worldwide. We hope to have version 1.1 out within the next couple days.

In preparation for this release, we've posted an updated dedicated server. This version is required to host games for people who will have the version 1.1 update. It also contains the new features mentioned in earlier posts. You can find this update at Fileplanet here:

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/140000/145862.shtml

Check back soon for info on the PC Update release!

The Star Wars Battlefront Team

This game has a lot of potential. But until the next patch (and real modding tools), it's just a flash in the pan as far as I'm concerned.

Three decent servers (+the crappy interface) and a SP game that you can basically beat in a day (the rest is just repetative recycling of the same maps with you as a different faction), thanks in part to the shoddy AI.

Option-wise the game is really lacking, which is why it needs mod tools, or a commercial expansion (with all the fixes of the patches that they've talked about built-in from the get-go) soon.

Kurgan, are you saying you beat all the singleplayer games on "hard" mode? If so, you're a gaming god. I've been playing the SP game fairly regularly, and have only won the rebel conquest portion, and am close to winning the galactic civil war campaign. However, it's not been easy, as each mission I typically have to play several times before I win. Although, I am getting better - I think :).

Anyway, like I said before, while I don't think this game is better than Mysteries of the Sith, it is WAY better than Jedi Outcast / Academy.

My two cents, keep the change :cool:

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden

Also 2+ years of experience? How does one get their foot in the freakin door? You have to have had to actually take part in creating a published game to qualify? The hell?

That is usually the case in just about every industry. The famous catch 22...

Originally posted by Vagabond

Kurgan, are you saying you beat all the singleplayer games on "hard" mode? If so, you're a gaming god. I've been playing the SP game fairly regularly, and have only won the rebel conquest portion, and am close to winning the galactic civil war campaign. However, it's not been easy, as each mission I typically have to play several times before I win. Although, I am getting better - I think :).

Anyway, like I said before, while I don't think this game is better than Mysteries of the Sith, it is WAY better than Jedi Outcast / Academy.

My two cents, keep the change :cool:

No no no, I'm no gaming god, by far! I played a couple of hours each day and I beat both SP campaigns in about 2 days. I beat a conquest mode for each faction (4 total) in about 3 days. Technically I still "have to" beat about 8 more conquest modes, but the thing is, all it is is the same maps just playing a different faction or playing them in slightly different order.

And since I was only playing them a few hours a day, a hyperactive typical player with no job and only the day at school could easily beat the game in a day or two. If he wanted to beat every single game mode and variation, he could easily do it in a week, max. I took my sweet time and played a bit of Instant Action in between there. Yes I had to repeat certain missions, but I was playing on Medium.

Here's how I did it (Medium Difficulty from start to finish):

1) When I got the game, I played Instant Action Endor first a couple of times, to simulate the demo I would have gotten to play had I had an Xbox. ; ) Okay, I'm a geek.

2) GCW campaign.

3) CW campaign.

4) Galactic Conquest Rebels. I played for an hour, then took a break of about a week. I had little interest in beating it, until the patch came out then I thought I'd give it another try.

5) Beat that then played the Republic, Empire, CIS, each in their "first" mission in the list. Now that I've won those, there are about 8 missions left (4 missions, but each with two factions to choose from). I have little interest in playing these right now.

Honestly, how many people play a game on Hard on the first try? Once you start (in this game, as far as I could tell) you couldn't change it, so you'd have to start all over with the difficulty. So yes, technically I could take another two weeks and beat the game on hard, but I'm not up for it. That's a little too repetative for my tastes, and the game isn't THAT good! (the AI sucks bad)

All of that repetative playing has made me able to hold my own in MP games, however I'm hampered by high pings and low framerates, so I simply gave up after trying to play for one day.

JK, MotS, JA, and JK2 each took me about a week to beat in SP mode. JK I played through completely about three times (Dark, Light, and then Hard with AI Tweak on Lightside IIRC). I replayed certain levels over again of course. MotS I only played through once on hard (okay, there I did it, because I had played the demo so many times and it was the same engine so I felt confident), and then spent the rest of my time on MP. JK2 I only played through once, but replayed certain missions. JA I played through twice and reloaded certain missions to play again.

The thing is, the "core game" (16 levels) of SWBF is easily beaten, so the "full game" is really just those same levels repeated over and over again, to make it seem like its more, but its really just padding. Just think, if you played every Galactic Conquest mode, that's what, 96 levels? (at 8 levels apiece? I lost track, maybe it was six and you got to skip one, that's still 60 levels!) plus the 16 for the two SP campaigns.

Galactic Conquest would have been better suited to MP I think. At least in MP the repetativeness is somewhat forgotten because of the unpredictability and innovativeness of human players (in theory anyway).

Anyway Vag, don't feel too bad, you got the game long after I did, and you've been playing some MP too I hear.

; )

I basically ignored MP except for testing it once for about 5 minutes (the length of one laggy match) until I'd beaten all this SP stuff. I played MP for one day (about 3 hours? something like that, I'd have to check my X-fire profile) awhile after that.

I really don't have any desire to play the game again until the next patch is out and I can check out the improvements and fixes. If they don't release in the next day or so though I'll have to wait 'cause I'm going out of town for about a week for my cousin's wedding.

• 1 month later...

Kurg it is imperative that you play SWBF online more frequently. It is the best online Star Wars experience since MotS.

I find the Bots to be quite challenging when set on 'hard' in multiplayer.

I concur that galactic conquest mode really belongs in multiplayer.:fett:

Archived