Home

Which are your fave games?

El Virus

I know I bother a lot with my threads, posts, and talking, but I'm here to posta new thread.

I want to know which games do you like the most, besides GF, of course.

This is my list:

1-Grim Fandango & Freelancer (I can't decide, they are to good)

3-Sim City

4-Mafia (great game too, but it is just too difficult)

5-Empire Earth, Tzar & The Sims

8-Others

(I'm not so sure about numbers 3-5, I am missing some games, but about the 1, I am sure)

Feel free to answer this or to curse me for posting stupid/unnecessary threads. :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love all adventure games that I have played (except the original Maniac Mansion), but these are my favourites:

1. Grim Fandango (DUH!)

2. Broken Sword I (great plot and easy puzzles that didn't stop me from enjoying the story)

3. Gabriel Knight 3 (fantastic story, but a bit too difficult)

4. The Dig (yet another great story and Brink! :) )

5. Both Golden Sun games (not adventure games, but great anyway)

An asteroid in on a crash course with Earth and they send a crew to take care of it. The three important characters are Boston Low (a NASA veteran), Maggie Robbins (a famous journalist) and Ludger Brink (a German archaeologist/geologist).

The three save Earth from the asteroid, but in the process they turn it in to a space craft that takes them to the other side of the universe. They find themselves on an isolated alien planet with technology strange to them. In order to get back home they must find out how to use that technology, solve what happened to the original inhabitants of the planet and why they were brought there. A fantastic game! I even bought the novelization.

FL is great game, great graphics, story (which never ends, as you can later become a freelancer), and characters.

The game has a strange original story, but the basic story is a bit long, so read it at it's main site:

http://www.microsoft.com/games/freelancer/story.asp

You are the freelancer Edison Trent, an intergalactic jack-of-all-trades. Your mission: whatever you want. Become a smuggler or a ruthless space thug, a naval hero or a trader. Dodge through asteroid fields while piloting elite spacecraft.

The action is endless as you make your way through 48 known star systems. Greed, morality, compassion, anger... whatever motivates you, the dynamic universe will respond. Take the first step. The universe is waiting.

At the beginning you wacth a cutscene where the freeport 7 is detroyed, and from there you start your journey, you can either do the missions the game gives you or do whatever you want, the game is actually more complex, but it is a great acvhievement.

You have a big variety of ships, and they are kind of easy to control.

Go to http://www.gamespot.com, I think the demo is avalaible.

My taste in games is pretty varied, but here's my all-time list of favourite games thus far. They're all on pretty much the same level of greatness, so I'm sure you can imagine how much I love them all.

a) Grim Fandango.

b) Monkey Island 3, then 2, then 1.

c) Beyond Good and Evil.

d) Metal Gear Solid - Twin Snakes.

All the games above are recommended more than anything ever by myself, and I encourage you all to try them out should you come across them. All are highly story-driven (which should be good for us adventure lovers), and are in general awesome games.

I've also taken the time to link the games you probably haven't played to small trailers, so you can see a little bit of what the game is about. The games look far better and less washed out in reality, but the trailers get the point across. ;>

Metal Gear Solid probably has one of the best and most cinematic storylines in any game ever, but there is a lot of action in the game too which may turn some of you away. I'm sure you already know my thoughts on Beyond Good and Evil.

Originally posted by VampireNaomi

Looks interesting. This might be a dumb question, but do you need to shoot in it? I find shooting games incredibly boring.

Yes, you have to, but believe me aiming is not easy as you have to shoot from the ship, this game is great, the only times when you are out of the ship are either on a bar, looking for a mission, repairing your ship or during cutscenes.

The demo is avalaible at the main page, note that on it you don't have the game's story, but you visit the different planets.

The game is not too expensive so if you are interested.

I guess you wouldn't like Mafia, after all it's a shooting game, but the game itself is far more than that.

---------------------------------------------

I have never played MI, nor any of the games you listed Thrik, but I have heard Beyond G&E is pretty good, as well as Metal Gear solid.

No, believe me, if you play Mafia, you'll see a really cinematic plot, not only it's music is great also the cutscenes, the end of this game is great, it has won the same that GF achieved. (Game of the year, best music, etc.). It's not a cheap game, but I strongly recommend it.

My top 5 games, however this is only after a minute or so of thinking, it would take me ages to come up with the right list.

1. Grim Fandango

2. Curse of Monkey Island

3. Simcity series

4. The Longest Journey

5. RollerCoaster Tycoon

I share your like for Sim City, they are great, I like 3000 better that SC4.

That's the problem woth the shooting games, it is difficult to win, and you eventually get tired, but there are great shooting games out there, though Mafia is very difficult, i don't recommend it, I personally like it because I'm a big fan of the golden era of the mafia, I spent a lot of time reading about Capone, Dillinger, and the game is just the same to that time.

I have never played the Longest Journey, although I hear it's good.

My current favourite games are:

Grim Fandango

Monkey Island 3

RollerCoaster Tycoon

Half-Life 2 (even though it's not out yet)

And I used to play the madness games by microsoft (motocross madness, midtown madness, monster truck madness) all the time, but i don't much anymore..

Hey I love Mafia too, but it's a very long and difficult game, but I think it's a great accomplishment. I love the ending, all the sacrifice you do to win this game pays off, Paulie was a great character.:D

Midtown Madness is a great game, but after a while it gets a bit boring, I have never played Roller-Coaster Tycoon, but apparently it's good.

Originally posted by El Virus

Midtown Madness is a great game, but after a while it gets a bit boring, I have never played Roller-Coaster Tycoon, but apparently it's good.

Yeah, I used to play Midtown Madness a lot, but then it lost it's value as it started to get old. But I would have carried on playing the series if they'd have released MM3 on the PC, but sadly it was only on XBox, so I don't play MM anymore.

And RCT was really fun, and there's a new one coming out in two weeks - it's 3D, and has a lot of content. I'll probably get addicted to that - it looks amazing.

In no particular order:

Grim Fandango. :)

Star Control 2, AKA The Ur-Quan Masters. This is an awesome adventure/exploration/resource gathering game with arcade-style combat. I highly recommend it. If you don't like combat like Naomi, you can have the AI fight for you. You can download it free here.

The Quest for Glory series. Hybrid RPG/Adventure. I've played through this several times as the different character classes. :)

Civilization III: Turn-based strategy game. I don't play this single player much anymore, but I'm involved in a lot of multiplayer games.

Master of Orion II: I don't play it much anymore, but another excellent turn-based strategy where you can design your ships' armaments.

X-COM UFO (Enemy Unknown): Combination of a realtime strategic "Geoscape" where you build up a fighting base and shoot down alien craft, and a turn-based tactical "Battlescape" where you fight them on the ground. Old but excellent.

Never heard of Star Control 2, is it good?

But I think there's no simulation/resource-gathering game out there like FL, but that's just my opinion.

Civilization is a great game, I think one of my favourites game genre is strategy, i'm a good strategy maker, Empire Earth is great too, as well as Sim City. The problem with strategy games is that eventually they get you bored, but while you are playing them, you have a great time.

Is Masters of Orion good?, I have never

played it.

By the way, you can just download a mod, on the links given at FL's main page, and play the game with no story, where you can go from planet to planet, exchanging goods and stuff like that. So you don't really need to fight on FL;)

1. Shenmue & Shenmue II (...and Shenmue III, someday...hopefully)

Closest to real life a game has gotten. When this game is played for hours, when you stop it feels like you are re-entering the real world and you have to residuate yourself. Not to mention a finely-crafted (unfinished) story. Definitely my favorite games of all time.

2. Grim Fandango

Do I need tp explain this one to you? Well, great environments, great characters, great story, and probably the best musical score a game has ever had.

3. Obsidian

Short, but it's quality, not quantity. Dur to the medium, people are afraid to be intellectual with games. This is the only game I've ever played that included existential, taoist, and heavy scientific thought. This game made you f u c king THINK! Almost like Franz Kafka, Haruki Murakami, Michael Crichton and Kierkagaard all got together to make a PC game. By short-lived SegaSoft/Rocket Science Productions game companies.

1. Grim Fandango

2. The Longest Journey- What a story!!!!

3. TIE Fighter- Ah the glory days... die, X-wings!!!!!!

4. The Curse of Monkey Island- So funny. I love the Grim reference, and the cannon boy. And of course, the Voodoo Lady. ^_^

5. Black and White- Never got very far with it (it's hard!), but it was just too cool for words...

~Sal

Archived