Home

2nd Demo Music Suite

Benevolence

Well, that's certainly the best rendering of DF's music I've ever heard. There's only so much that can be done to give those MIDIs a "full" sound since the depth of instrumentation is limited to what a decade-old PC could perform during gameplay. It's a small ensemble of solo instruments rather than an orchestra, so it's never going to sound "big" no matter how much reverb the instruments have.

Clint Bajakian's score to Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb is a good example of what his music sounds like today, but unless anybody's got thousands of dollars and expertise to transcribe DF's midis, arrange a score for full orchestra, and get it conducted and recorded, this is as good as his DF music is going to get. :cool:

If you can get all the MIDI files converted from the original DF, you'll need music notation software that can transcribe MIDI files. You'll end up with the raw notation upon which a musician could build a new arrangement. I think this can do it:

http://www.finalemusic.com/allegro/

Before starting your arrangement, I'd also recommend having a PC run all the levels and cutscenes of DF with only the music playing and recording that off your PC's analog output to get a true sense of the original instrumentation. To my ear the custom GMID instruments don't all correspond accurately to the standard MIDI set.

I guess the mod is supposed to be open source, so if you manage to rerecord all the mp3s with a live orchestra there'd be some interested parties. :D

Originally posted by Magic_Al`s DF

Well, that's certainly the best rendering of DF's music I've ever heard.

Thanks! It's taken a lot of work to get those sounding the way they do now.

I'm planning on taking older soundcards of the time and doing side-by-side comparisons of the DF Midi music. You'll hear examples of OPL3 FM synthesis, AWE32 wavetable, Gravis Ultrasound wavetable (including the Ultrasound Pro Interwave version) and the straight SC-55 Roland Sound Canvas tracks (possibly more depending on how things look on eBay!). Then I'll put that next to the current Roland Sound Canvas remix which uses all four Sound Canvas patchsets for comparison.

Hopefully it should be an interesting trip down memory lane.

Music sounds great....Almost a direct copy (subtle nuances different) of the Lundquist soundtrack. This will sound fantastic while playing the new levels....Oh that's right...they aren't out yet (snickering like mumbly the dog) BTW...in the new screen of the day feature can we have a description in the future please? Getting anxious to play the demo now.......

peace

I'm a SoundBlaster 16 man myself....my old computer has one and it never let me down on a single game with Sound or Joystick issues....ever, My Next Computer will have The latest/greatest SB Card, this has a SantaCruz Turtle Beach DSP, that rocks it's ass off but too many conflicts. The geeks at DELL sold me on this one, and I hate them for it.

I don't remember what kind of sound card my old computer has, probably because we had to replace it twice.

Great job, Benevolence! The music is awesome. Have you finished all the music for the mod, or just what's in the demo?

I've been thinking for a while now that it'd be really cool to have a recording of the DF soundtrack with real instruments. The transcribing/arranging shouldn't be too extremely difficult for someone with the right knowledge, although it'd be somewhat time-consuming. The difficult part would be finding someone to play it, especially considering it's length. Hmm, maybe if I'm in the orchestra when I go to college they'd agree to play it. I can dream, at least...

Originally posted by SlicerDude

I don't remember what kind of sound card my old computer has, probably because we had to replace it twice.

Great job, Benevolence! The music is awesome. Have you finished all the music for the mod, or just what's in the demo?

I've been thinking for a while now that it'd be really cool to have a recording of the DF soundtrack with real instruments. The transcribing/arranging shouldn't be too extremely difficult for someone with the right knowledge, although it'd be somewhat time-consuming. The difficult part would be finding someone to play it, especially considering it's length. Hmm, maybe if I'm in the orchestra when I go to college they'd agree to play it. I can dream, at least...

Thank you. No, not all the music is finished. Most of it is at around 80%. It's the last 20% of tweaking that is the most time consuming.

I conceivably could score out the parts. My degree is in music theory and composition and I do have the know-how. Everything is essentially there in the MIDI files; I'd just have the flesh out the parts a little for a full orchestra. Personally I'd rather do that for Tie Fighter if I were going to do something like that. :)

Originally posted by Locutus_of_Borg

What do you actually use to render the music? Do you take the original MIDI files and render them or do you make them from scratch?

All music was recorded digitally straight from this. I used the original MIDI files as a base and did a lot of layering and tweaking. It's all 100% Roland Sound Canvas that you are hearing though.

Awhile back, John Romero (of Doom fame) sent me mp3's of Dark Forces midis he had recorded with his Roland soundcard. They sounded good, but a bit artificial.

The ones you've done however are *great*. Really, I can't stress how much I love the original songs when I played the game, and your mp3's stay true to the original sound while making it fresh and atmospheric. :)

Great job man.

Originally posted by urhash

Benevolence, could you release them as they are completed? I just totally dig this stuff, I can't wait for more. :)

I doubt I will release the final game suite until the final release is ready. I might release the individual files (not in a suite version format) as site updates. The suite music for the demo isn't final either. I'll probably keep tweaking everything until the final release.

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of the musical score, I PM'ed The One asking a question about musical license in using the DF music. I plan on using the SOTE soundtrack composed by Joel McNeeley. I'm just wondering how concerned I should be about it. I don't mind asking for permission. However I'd hate to have to pay for it. I'd rather they just say "oh sure we'll let you do it if you put in a plug for people to buy our CD."

Any ideas?

I have a work-in-progress readme file going right now (props to all so far) giving credit for the score to John Williams, Joel Mcneely and all of the record labels involved with the musical scores. If this does become a problem, we could just use the Empire Strikes Back soundtrack and forego the 2 added tunes by J. Mcneely..... if it becomes an issue.

Archived